T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

Discuss the various finishing services that can help showcase your brand. Topics include custom neck tag labels, hang tags, garment washes, folding, bagging and even shipment/packaging options.

Relabeling American Apparel t-shirt

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 28th, 2008 Feb 28, 2008 9:34:55 AM -   #46 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greg
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Relabeling American Apparel t-shirt

Sure. Glad I could help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2008 May 30, 2008 8:31:00 PM -   #47 (permalink)
djg
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinci
I know, this point has been discussed before but it never came to a satisfying answer to me. So here is my problem:

I have carefully removed the label in the neck of an American Apparel t-shirt to see how easy relabeling a t-shirt is. Indeed, taking away the label in the neck is very easy.

But inside the neck and outside the t-shirt the stitching has let loose, and will let loose more if I don’t do anything at it. What can be done (in an invisible way)?

If there is a solution for this, I can think about the next step/ choice: Let I sew an own label with brandname in the neck, or will the brandname be printed in the inside of the neck? And if I choose for printing, shall I let it screenprint or can it be done with heat transfer or another way of printing, like a stamp orso, by myself?

Next problem: The AA label also includes washing-instructions and ‘100% cotton’ information a.s.o. So if you take away the AA label, you also take away this information. It’s a whole. How do I replace this information, also in the neck together with the brandname, or by sewing in a apart label?

The best solution would be t-shirts with the same quality and fit as AA, without label. But I am afraid they can not be found.

Has anyone experiences with relabeling an American Apparel t-shirt?
american apparel has recommended vendors for relabeling their clothing. if you call them, they are more than willing to give you this information.

Last edited by Comin'OutSwingin; May 30th, 2008 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old June 10th, 2008 Jun 10, 2008 9:41:26 PM -   #48 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor Clothing
Like I mentioned before this thread was full of information on American Apparel blanks but not much else.
None of the information in this thread is specific to American Apparel, that just happens to be the brand the person who started the thread was using. Everything I quoted from the FTC applies to textiles in general (it says that at the top of the post) - not just t-shirts, let alone a specific brand of t-shirt.

Old June 11th, 2008 Jun 11, 2008 7:46:22 AM -   #49 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmu
None of the information in this thread is specific to American Apparel, that just happens to be the brand the person who started the thread was using. Everything I quoted from the FTC applies to textiles in general (it says that at the top of the post) - not just t-shirts, let alone a specific brand of t-shirt.

hehehe thanks for the late reply! hhaha

Old July 16th, 2008 Jul 16, 2008 7:20:56 PM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

I too am in the midst of the "relabeling" quagmire. Here's where I am currently in my process: I like AA shirts, and a few others that are nice quality, and I am quality oriented. I want my OWN brand label AND I need my OWN care instructions - cuz I do a lot of crystal, rhinestone & mixed media imprints. I want the care instructions to say "Machine wash cold - inside out - gentle cycle - no bleach - dry flat - do not iron decoration" which is IMPOSSIBLE to find since all the mfrs. use "tumble dry low" at the very least. I don't like the tear away tag shirts I have seen as far as quality goes (I make mostly women's, fashion, fitted products). I think I am going to do the following:

1) buy the nice brands I like (like AA etc.)
2) have them shipped to Tagless Threads in CA where they will screen print the BRAND, MFR. LOCATION, FIBER CONTENT, SIZE AND CARE INSTRUCTIONS inside the back of the neckline.
3) have Tagless ship them to my workshop
4)have my employees use small embroidery scissors to cut the mfrs. brand tag & care tags out of the shirts (NOT opening any seams, just cut them very close to the seam line for NOW only)
5) press my custom designs onto the shirts WITH TEFLON SHEETS OVER THEM SO THE HEAT PRESS DOESN'T MELT THE SILK SCREENED BRAND/CARE INFO INSIDE BACK OF NECK!

That's a temporary solution for this project FOR NOW.
Once my volumes are higher, I will look to other vendors who can sell me custom branded shirts - assuming I can grow my business to the point of meeting the high minimum orders of shirts per size/color.

OR the other option is:
1)buy same shirts (AA etc.)
2)order custom woven brand labels from one vendor
3)order custom printed care labels from another vendor (like nwtag.com)
4)receive the shirts, have employee cut brand & care labels out - close to seam line (not sure if I need this step or not yet???)
5)hire a contract sewing co. here LOCALLY (I am in FL) to sew in my woven brand labels & printed care tags (we do the drop off & pick up with our van)

Maybe some of these thoughts will help someone else out...
What do you experienced folks think about these options, any ideas?

All advice/opinions appreciated.
Thanks,
Cara
Shining Glory Fashions

Old July 16th, 2008 Jul 16, 2008 7:32:21 PM -   #51 (permalink)
djg
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

hi cara,
you can use tsc apparel - they sell american apparel and you can have your custom labels shipped to them, where in they will remove the original label and joker and re-sew your label with new care instructions.
hope that helps

Old July 16th, 2008 Jul 16, 2008 8:55:37 PM -   #52 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Yes, that's what I was going to suggest as well.

Also, you don't need 2 separate labels. If you want a woven label, you can just have your woven label loop-folded with care/content on the underside of your logo label.

If you want printed, you can do the same with printed.

Old July 17th, 2008 Jul 17, 2008 10:01:53 AM -   #53 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

OH GREAT! Thanks so much....I have samples of Tultex coming from TSC but I didn't know that they would RElabel AA shirts, wow, so helpful!!!!!! I love this place!
Cara

Old July 17th, 2008 Jul 17, 2008 10:03:39 AM -   #54 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Excellent suggestion!!! This is very helpful! I really need the most cost effective solution and I think this is it!

Thanks!
Cara (aka "TC")

Old July 17th, 2008 Jul 17, 2008 10:20:31 AM -   #55 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Here's a link to a post that shows an AA shirt that I got through TSC and that they relabeled with my printed label.

It has my logo and content on the front, with care on the back.

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt...tml#post291773

Old July 17th, 2008 Jul 17, 2008 10:25:39 AM -   #56 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Dude, you ROCK! Thank you sooo much! This is just what I want!
Cara.

Old September 5th, 2008 Sep 5, 2008 10:45:21 AM -   #57 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: jeff

Congratulations to you for sharing the win for the most helpful. This post is a testament. I greatly appreciate the wealth of information so pertinent to so many of us here at the forums. Awesome.

Old February 28th, 2012 Feb 28, 2012 9:37:52 AM -   #58 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I want to activate this thread again and first say that I just don't know what we would do without t-shirt forums. The information here is so ridiculously helpful and amazing, it's unreal.

Second, does everyone think it is imperative to have your own custom labels before sending your shirts to the reviewer sites? We use JS apparel shirts, they side label for us with only the necessary RN and care info and size (tag doesn't say JS anywhere) and then we have our logo printed on the back of the shirt, on the outside though, just below the collar. We are looking at adding our own custom tag, whether it's printed or sewn in, but are feeling that once we have higher quantities for printing, that's when it will make most sense. Do you think it reflects badly when to reviewers when you don't have your own tag?

Old March 22nd, 2012 Mar 22, 2012 5:12:53 AM -   #59 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: keith

Great info, my company is getting into private labeling and this has been very helpful. Much more complicated then I had originally though.

Old October 26th, 2014 Oct 26, 2014 6:42:08 AM -   #60 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Rob

If you were to replace the tag would you put the reference number already on the old tag or would you have to get a new reference number for your tag.

This is a discussion about Relabeling American Apparel t-shirt that was posted in the T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in