T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

Discuss the various finishing services that can help showcase your brand. Topics include custom neck tag labels, hang tags, garment washes, folding, bagging and even shipment/packaging options.

Metal hang tags? Hang tag market?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 6th, 2015 Mar 6, 2015 3:41:56 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Nicole
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Metal hang tags? Hang tag market?

Hi! I've been browsing the forums... I'm not affiliated with any clothing design or retail, I'm in the corporate imprinting world but these forums are so full of useful info! <3

One of the things I'm wondering about is the viability of metal hang tags, and whether and how I might want to offer them to clothing relabelers, decorators, etc.

In the process of making name badges, we end up with quite a bit of scrap. It turns out to be mostly 1.5"x6" or 8" pieces of quality imprintable stock, mostly brushed silver aluminum. I've been making bookmarks out of it for my kids' school etc. but I'd like to find a better use for it than giving it away or just sending it to the recycler.

It would be quite possible to imprint a full-color image, trim to whatever size, round the corners and deburr, and punch a small hole for tagging gun or string.

Knowing nothing about custom clothing merchandising... what do people expect to pay for a high-quality hang tag? I see people here looking for "cheap" business card styles etc., but also people looking for specific styles to promote their brand. What kinds of quantities might I be looking at if I pursue this line? Are there others in "the hang tag business" or how do folks usually procure their hang tags? Would there be any specific downside to using metal (aluminum) tags rather than paper? Our name badges are corner-rounded and sanded specifically to prevent damage to clothing when worn, and of course we'd use the same process for hang tags. The only thing I can think is that sublimated aluminum tends to be easily scratched, so the tags themselves could be damaged by zippers etc. if not carefully packaged and displayed (not an issue with tee shirts, obv).

Thoughts, please?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2015 Mar 9, 2015 2:10:40 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Metal hang tags? Hang tag market?

Well... I'd like to make a few mockups. Does anyone have hang tag art they'd let me use, possibly on my website if it turns out well? Would anyone like to sample a small run (maybe 10-20) and let me know how you like them?

I have lots and lots of 1.5" x 3" and 1.5" x 4" silver brushed aluminum... but I'm not by any means limited to that size. I also have brushed gold, and a slightly thicker satin silver. Capability of any square or rectangular size with rounded corners and small hole(s).

Anyone? Anyone?

Old March 29th, 2015 Mar 29, 2015 11:32:04 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Andy
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

VERY high quality offset printed, cardstock hang tags are not very expensive at all. Of course the more you buy the cheaper the price per piece.

I'm always interested in adding little things. Even when it comes to hang tags. Shapes and such.

Personally for me, I don't really have a need or desire for a metal tag. Although, I suppose I could see a benefit. But that benefit would be best served on a different material IMHO.

One area of interest for ME would be (rather than metal) a lightweight PLASTIC hang-tag that might be customizable to a specific shape and size. I guess die-cut? Think of a plastic dog tag type material and the shapes that they come in sort of. And then the logo, etc printed onto it.

I won't say why I think that would be cool. But it could be. You can PM me if you like. You might actually be able to apply it to the metal idea. Although if the print will wear off, not sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to porkchopharry For This Useful Post:
Sugarcaine (March 30th, 2015)

Old April 2nd, 2015 Apr 2, 2015 5:07:29 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Porkchopharry, thanks for your thoughts! We run a dye-sub imprinting business primarily making corporate name badges, so metal is what we do. It gives a higher quality finish than any plastic (our competitors are plastic) even, or especially, the silver- or gold-tone plastic engraved stuff like what I think you're talking about.

So for someone wanting to give a higher perceived value, they might want metal hang-tags, especially if they can be kept for other purposes (book mark, ornament, decoration, etc.). Or if they have a particular brand that alludes to metal (rock music or hot rods or whatever). Another point is that with dye-sub we can do full color, and the metal shines through the color and gives it a gem-like quality you don't get with plastic or paper.

Anyway I thought it might be interesting to someone trying to promote their high-end (or perceived high-end) brand. Perhaps I was wrong, or perhaps folks need to see samples.

Shapes... that's a good point. I can only do squares or rectangles (or triangles & diamonds I guess) right now, but we're having dies made for our badges, and once that process is in place I can do other die-cut shapes, though the dies cost several hundred bucks apiece so there would have to be a significant demand and/or minimum orders for anything other than, say, standard ovals or circles. Certainly easier/cheaper to do a dog-bone or t-shirt shape hang tag with paper.

Wish I could remember how to post an image!

Old April 3rd, 2015 Apr 3, 2015 8:48:22 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarcaine
Shapes... that's a good point. I can only do squares or rectangles (or triangles & diamonds I guess) right now, but we're having dies made for our badges, and once that process is in place I can do other die-cut shapes, though the dies cost several hundred bucks apiece so there would have to be a significant demand and/or minimum orders for anything other than, say, standard ovals or circles. Certainly easier/cheaper to do a dog-bone or t-shirt shape hang tag with paper.
JDS (and probably other sub blank suppliers) have aluminium double sided "keychain" blanks in a variety of different shapes, including t-shirts. You could make really nice looking hang tags with these, but I personally can't see it as being worth the time/cost for something that is going to be torn off the shirt and tossed in the garbage.

Old April 3rd, 2015 Apr 3, 2015 9:12:59 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Andy
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Tippy has the same idea that I do.

Keychain hangtags. I personally would prefer them in plastic for my brand. Die cut to the shape of my logo.

I think they would be a good way to do away with the throwaway hang-tag and the customer hopefully uses them...as a....wait for it...KEYCHAIN. Good promo there.

Of course, there are always a number of customers who simply do not care - that's a given. And that's fine. I don't expect to see those customers become repeat buyers though. Some, but not most.

In my mind, the little details, whether they are tossed in the bin, or not, are the little things that can cultivate a loyal, repeat customer base. To those customers who do appreciate the little things.

Old April 4th, 2015 Apr 4, 2015 11:05:08 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopharry
In my mind, the little details, whether they are tossed in the bin, or not, are the little things that can cultivate a loyal, repeat customer base. To those customers who do appreciate the little things.
SOLD! The above customer service reminder by porkchopharry tipped the scale for me. I'll order a batch of keychains on Monday.

Old April 4th, 2015 Apr 4, 2015 12:34:50 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I was just looking through my JP catalog and found all kinds of hang tag possibilities that I hadn't even considered as such before (really, my original thought was how to use up scrap pieces). Brass, aluminum, stainless, and FRP key, pet, and luggage tags in several shapes, some 2-sided, and some with hardware. Most over $1.00 per blank, though - so it looks like you'd get a much better deal from a regular print shop. My tags would be quite a bit cheaper, but not suitable for keychains.

Happy to have played a part in your inspiration though!

This is a discussion about Metal hang tags? Hang tag market? that was posted in the T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in