T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

Discuss the various finishing services that can help showcase your brand. Topics include custom neck tag labels, hang tags, garment washes, folding, bagging and even shipment/packaging options.

Labels (tag or tagless)

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 30th, 2006 Jul 30, 2006 4:23:33 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greg
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Labels (tag or tagless)

Branding is the reason for taking the Gildan label out. If one is trying to establish their own brand, leaving the original label is self-defeating.

That's the whole reason for his thread. He wants his own label. Not the Gildan.
SportzCo likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2006 Jul 30, 2006 6:50:20 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thanks again everyone for all of this information. And yes branding is the exact answer. I have screen-printed our logo on most of our designs in the past and have always left the Gildan label in the shirt. However, we are trying to take it to the next level and want the customers to only see our name in the shirts............along with our site address, etc. I am still looking into all of the label options, but again I think I am almost sold on the screen-printed transfer labels. I know they probably will fade a little but it would be so much less expensive since I can do it myself. It also allows for more customization and is somewhat mainstream and acceptable at the time.

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 12:03:24 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRoberts
one good thing about leaving the Gildan t-shirt label on the shirt is that peeps know the Brand is good quality

That's extremely subjective. Personally I tend to think of Gildan as the minimum acceptable quantity (i.e. it's not particularly good, but it is good enough).

Quote:
and places like the Big-Chain stores like Wal-Mark do not sell them (last time i looked), where they may sell fruit or hanes

K-mart here sell Gildan blanks and various chauvinist slogans printed on Gildan. The only other two brands they have are Bonds (blank only) and their home brand. Personally I don't think it helps or harms (in Australia anyway). Bonds are regarded as a quality brand for example, despite being sold at K-mart.

As for the FoTL/Hanes comparison... again, very subjective. I think of both Fruit and Hanes as being better quality than Gildan.

Objectively Gildan, Hanes and Fruit of the Loom are all at very similar levels (i.e. similar price, similar fabric weight, readily available, similar size and colour range, etc.). You could rank them on sales volume or personal preference, but I don't think there's any (even semi-) objective measure of their relative worth.

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 3:13:13 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu, yes opinions are fine.......

not very good photos....sorry, the Brand name printed on the sleeve of the Guns & Roses original licensed t-shirt are not small potatoes..... why would they not remove the screen stars label ?

The other paper type Label, again, soooo sorry for the bad photo quality. They are used/sewed on side seams, neck binding etc.... they are not the type you print your brand name on mind you.

Solmu, have you seen these paper type labels ? or know what they are called or who makes them ?????

Sharing this with me would make make day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-screen-stars-vintage-label-150.jpg (11.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 1-screen-stars-vintage-label-brand-200.jpg (23.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 1-manufacturer-label-150-2.jpg (7.3 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Rodney; July 31st, 2006 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: please contact member privately for private conversations

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 6:12:20 AM -   #20 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Quote:
the Brand name printed on the sleeve of the Guns & Roses original licensed t-shirt are not small potatoes..... why would they not remove the screen stars label ?
Obviously I'm speculating, but an arguement could be made that printing "Guns N Roses" on the front of a shirt brands it so completely that anything else would be redundant, so you might as well save 20c a shirt.

Quote:
Solmu, have you seen these paper type labels ? or know what they are called or who makes them ?????
I've seen them, though I don't personally like them (I like things to be more permanent). I don't know what they're called sorry. They're pretty much standard for suits too (inside the pocket), so they're definitely in wide use.

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 6:46:06 AM -   #21 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

thanks Australia Solmu,

yeah, the paper-type labels are used on a gazzilion manufactured garments, t-shirts included... in the USA and Canada i know for sure.

So they must meet all the Gov-Requirements IN usa/Canada. I THINK.
They come pre-printed on printer paper type sheets with the wash symbols and other info. You can then feed these sheets thru a lazer printer and print the content etc.... yourself.

But boy are they UGLY.

I agree with the fact that if you design t-shirts and want to add your own label, why not spend a few cents on some NICE looking labels.

Last edited by Rodney; July 31st, 2006 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: please contact member privately for private conversations

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 7:06:58 AM -   #22 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
So they must meet all the Gov-Requirements IN usa/Canada. I THINK.
Maybe, maybe not. I've bought plenty of garments in Australia that don't meet our labelling laws. I've bought some stuff from the US that doesn't meet US requirements.

I guess it would come down to a court decision. Personally I don't feel they meet US or Australian requirements, but even if I'm right (and it is an if) that doesn't mean anyone would ever get fined over it.

It's possible that the regulations statement of "useful life", "permanent", etc. and the court's interpretation of just what that means differs.

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 7:31:11 AM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Hi all. I have read this thread and too many others to count on tagless Ts and the head, she spins.

Bear with me as I work my way to the questions:

I sell a boutique line of baby tees. The tees are from a private label manufacturer. They sewed in a custom woven label for me (20 dozen required)

We are now branching into women's tees and do not want to buy 20 dozen. But, we also do not want to use the manufacturer's care label either. (Branding).

So, from reading posts looks like we have to do:

- a heat press label, but would need equipment for.
- some sort of inexpensive hand-iron sort of thing, which really wouldn't work...correct?
- have small run of inexpensive printed silk labels made and pay someone to sew them in. (Any company suggestions?)

Do print shops do heat press on contract?

Many thanks!

Carrie

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 9:19:20 AM -   #24 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Do print shops do heat press on contract?
Yes, some do. It would just be a matter of calling around to a few in your area.

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 12:47:12 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Well I have been playing around some more. Looks like I will definately have to re-sew the neck seam after taking the Gildan label out. I thought it could be done neatly with a razor or simply by unstitching the label, oh well.

Also, I prefer Gildan because of the price. Several of our shirts are white and I like the quality of the Gildan 6.1 ounce. I am going to order some Anvil and Jerzees to compare with the Gildan. If anyone has other suggestions or preferences in a similiar price range I would appreciate it. Thanks

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 5:08:31 PM -   #26 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greg
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Do you have a seam ripper?

About $2!

It has a curved blade, and is made for "ripping seams"!

Try any place that sells sewing supplies. I've done labels like this before. It works wonders.

Old July 31st, 2006 Jul 31, 2006 8:25:27 PM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMamaHen
So, from reading posts looks like we have to do:
[snip]
- have small run of inexpensive printed silk labels made and pay someone to sew them in. (Any company suggestions?)
One other option is to screenprint them yourself (either directly into the garment, or onto fabric that is sewn into the garment). Since we're talking about a very simple one colour print, you wouldn't need a lot of equipment and it wouldn't be difficult to do.

You may prefer to outsource these kind of jobs, but if not that is another option.

The Following User Says Thank You to Solmu For This Useful Post:
IdyaGurl (February 8th, 2010)
Old August 1st, 2006 Aug 1, 2006 5:08:35 AM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmu
One other option is to screenprint them yourself (either directly into the garment, or onto fabric that is sewn into the garment). Since we're talking about a very simple one colour print, you wouldn't need a lot of equipment and it wouldn't be difficult to do.

You may prefer to outsource these kind of jobs, but if not that is another option.
I so had not even considered doing the screenprinting myself, but I will look into it.

Any site suggestions for reading and supplies?

Thank you!

Old August 1st, 2006 Aug 1, 2006 5:46:36 AM -   #29 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I so had not even considered doing the screenprinting myself, but I will look into it.

Any site suggestions for reading and supplies?
Normally internet resources are what people look for (myself included), but in this case if a local friend asked me that question I'd direct them to one of the short screenprinting courses I know of (1 day, weekend, etc.) and give them the address of my screenprint supplier.

So my generic advice (since I can't recommend a specific course in your area, etc.) would be to look into a local short course (google may be of some help, or you could try your local community college or adult learning centre, or some screenprinting shops offer day courses), and to check the Yellow Pages (or similar) for a screen print supply shop.

Screenprinters.net (there's a link in the t-shirt sites list in the sidebar) has a lot of information in theory so you could try that, but personally I don't actually find the site very useful all that often (the biggest problem is that it's too poorly organised). Your mileage may vary, as some people love the site.

Old August 1st, 2006 Aug 1, 2006 6:32:59 AM -   #30 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I sell a boutique line of baby tees. The tees are from a private label manufacturer. They sewed in a custom woven label for me (20 dozen required)

We are now branching into women's tees and do not want to buy 20 dozen. But, we also do not want to use the manufacturer's care label either. (Branding).
Carrie
Carrie, from what i know, it is not a big deal to add a few dozen to the run as they are being made for someone else. Have you asked the manufacturer about this ?

i mean, to add a few more dozen to a run all it takes is laying out a few extra fabric layers on the cutting table.

May be they can do you a few dozen this way......

This is a discussion about Labels (tag or tagless) that was posted in the T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in