screen printing neck labels on the inside of the t-shirt? - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

Discuss the various finishing services that can help showcase your brand. Topics include custom neck tag labels, hang tags, garment washes, folding, bagging and even shipment/packaging options.

screen printing neck labels on the inside of the t-shirt?

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 13th, 2007 Sep 13, 2007 10:37:24 AM -   #31 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: screen printing neck labels on the inside of the t-shirt?

Quote:
Then, I realized I have what I thought was a worthless to me hat heat transfer machine. But I bet I could use it to heat transfer labels on.
Yep, the cap press is great for putting on heat transfer labels. That's what was used to relabel some of the forum t-shirts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2008 Mar 12, 2008 8:53:57 AM -   #32 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

we've pretty much brainstormed all the possibilities that were mentioned before ... but i wanted to know people's opinions with fabric ink stamps.... for relabelling... we were seriously thinking of cutting out both the brand and info tags from the shirts then using a rubber stamp (with all necessary info) and a fabric paint like ZIMPAINT, or a stencil and a foam brush with ZIMPAINT.

Zim's Fabric Paint - Sale!: Zimprints

i have not tested it out yet... but it claims you cant feel it on the fabric so it wont bother or itch your back neckline...

does anyone have any advice on INDELLIGIBLE stamps, and/or permanent fabric ink stamps? ...

i'm not worried that if after a year of washing it fades away... i kinda like that idea...

Old March 12th, 2008 Mar 12, 2008 11:20:39 AM -   #33 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
i'm not worried that if after a year of washing it fades away... i kinda like that idea...
Keep in mind that if it fades after a year, you could be fined by the FTC. They require that the labels last for the life of the garment.

Old December 6th, 2008 Dec 6, 2008 5:02:02 PM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Hey this may seem cheesy, but is there any way to iron on the neck labels?

Old November 2nd, 2010 Nov 2, 2010 6:23:41 PM -   #35 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comin'OutSwingin
75 cents! the company I use charges 25 cents to take out the old label and sew in the new one on the neck tape. It's just 35 cents if it is to go under the neck tape. With no minimums! 75 cents is definitely the highest I've heard!

I also would think that it would more to have info screen printed if you are outsourcing it, unless you had some large quantities. When I was asking around at different printers, they said that they treat the price just like printing in another location. So if you have a one color screen print in the neck, it would be the same as whatever your printer charged for a 1 color print for however many shirts you were having printed up. Unless you have a large volume, that's going to be around a dollar per print.

Having woven labels made and sewn in is much cheaper, even for the most expensive of woven labels (damask).

You can get 1,000 woven polyester labels for around .15/label, and sewn in for as little as .25/label. Much cheaper than having someone print your stuff in the shirt. And like Rodney said, if you are going for a "clean" look, then most likely the old label still needs to be taken out by somebody.

As for higher quality issue, I've got a different opinion. I really think this is more market driven. I've seen people with urban wear designs print on a jerzees, hanes, etc. good looking stuff, but have people laugh at it and say "man, all he did was go get some regular shirts and print on it. this stuff ain't real!". I've seen this so many times. So maybe it's not a quality issue, but more of a ligitimacy issue. If there are people in your market that think this way, you may sell to them online because they can't see if you have a tag, but they will be the ones that won't be repeat customers, because of their view of you and your product. Real or not.

This situation is different for me. I haven't sold one shirt online yet, but have sold plenty face-to-face. And before I started getting my own labels sewn in, it was hard to convince some people to take me or my product seriously. They would look at the label and know that I don't own proclub! But once I got my labels sewn in, it was never an issue again. No one has ever asked me if it is a relabel of another shirt, mostly because the regular buying public doesn't know anything about relabeling. So when they see my label, with my company's name on it, they assume it's my shirt, and more legitimate than the next guy with the FOL label in it.

But again, I'm in a different market than most on the forums.
i was wondering what company do use to print your shirts and where can you get polyester tags made for you to be sewn in im new and im trying to get as much information as i can think you can help please

Old November 19th, 2010 Nov 19, 2010 11:50:58 AM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Ive started printing my own labels just to advertise my company. I do a lot of shirts for bands & figured It'd be good advertising to have my logo & details on the neck.

I dont turn the shirts inside out. Ive come up with a much faster way. Just cut a piece off an old platen a little bigger than your label. In my case its 5" x 2.5". I then removed a platen from one of my stations & in its place attached this small piece of platen. Now you can print the neck labels without turing your shirts inside out. Ive posted pics to give you a better idea of what Im on about. This is such a time saver.

For the screen I just put all the different size labels on the one screen all in a row. Ive got side clamps so once Ive one label set up the rest are all in line also. So when I need to change size I just slide the screen up or down, press down a bit so the mini platen underneath sticks in to the screen & tighten the side clamps when in position again. I tape the labels that arent in use to keep the shirt underneath clean.

The only problem Ive had so far is when I use black ink on light shirts, It almost bleeds out to the other side so for this reason I use gold ink. I would love to use black on the light shirts as it looks much better. Any tips on how I could achieve this? Thin the ink with extender base? (im using plastisol) 305 mesh? Harder durometer squeegee?

Thanks,
Tom.
Chewie12 likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerTees.ie For This Useful Post:
Rodney (November 24th, 2010), splathead (November 19th, 2010)
Old November 19th, 2010 Nov 19, 2010 11:59:17 AM -   #37 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Thanked 2,552 Times in 2,269 Posts

You've just given me an idea. If your platen riser is high enough, maybe twice the height as the one you have now, I might get away with not having to tape the other sizes not being screened.

What do you think?

Regarding white shirts, even using a thicker shirt will not prevent black from showing through. I do like you do and use a lighter (gray) ink. This way you can use the same color ink on both light and darks.

Old November 19th, 2010 Nov 19, 2010 12:18:16 PM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

The light grey ink would be perfect for both light & dark actually. Doubling the platen height might work too but I may have some issues with the screen angle as Il have to set the off contact a lot higher than usual. Il give it a go anyway. Thanks for the input.

Old November 19th, 2010 Nov 19, 2010 12:28:51 PM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

We do this for a number of our customers and it poses some interesting problems. First is sizing, you will need a screen for each size you will be running. Second, remember it is illegal to sell clothing without a manufacturing origin. Obviously if you are doing small boutique runs that is not too important but any licensed product or large runs should have this in the label.

As for production it's simple for screen printing, simply flip the shirt inside out and print it just as if you were printing a chest logo only a bit higher. We have not run into any platen issues that I am aware of.

A little tip. Try to use either a soft hand additive or some other kind of light weight ink and that the garment is heavy enough not to bleed through. We have run into this on a number of runs.

Last edited by Charlesn; November 19th, 2010 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: SP

The Following User Says Thank You to Charlesn For This Useful Post:
Rodney (November 24th, 2010)
Old November 19th, 2010 Nov 19, 2010 12:37:28 PM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hey Charles,

The reason I posted was to show people how to avoid some of the process that you do ie: a screen for each size & having to turn the shirts inside out. I dont have to do any of that with the method Ive posted.

As for country of origin, Ive left the tags on my shirts as you can see in the pics. Most people rip them off when they buy a shirt anyway leaving my printed tag on the neck.

Thanks,
Tom

Old November 19th, 2010 Nov 19, 2010 12:52:04 PM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Tom,

I made the ever so common mistake of not reading the entire thread before replying . Your process does look like a good method but I wonder how well it translates to an Auto when you have to do large runs. Most of the time when we actually do this it's for runs in excess of 1000 per size. I should have mentioned the multi-size layout on a single screen though, that is a great way to conserve screens.

As for printing black on white I wish I could help. We haven't been able to do a heavy black without bleed either. It's possible you could do it with two hits, a SHAPE underbase followed by the black but that sounds heavy to me even at 305 and small details might not be as clean.

Old November 19th, 2010 Nov 19, 2010 1:53:29 PM -   #42 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Thanked 2,552 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerTees.ie
Doubling the platen height might work too but I may have some issues with the screen angle as Il have to set the off contact a lot higher than usual.
Yeah, good point. I forgot about angles. Taping of the screen is certainly the most time-consuming part of this. Just trying to figure a way out of that.

Old November 19th, 2010 Nov 19, 2010 5:01:36 PM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Justin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

We use a similar method as Tom but we use this platen. We line the designs for the different sizes in a row on the film, and align them on the screen pointing toward the person printing, instead aligning them facing the press like normal prints. It makes easy access to the print area on the shirt. Instead of taping out the sizes that we aren't printing, we cut out small pieces of old film positives to cover the image area and tape around the edges of the film positive. This keeps tape adhesive from getting stuck in the image area. When we get to the next size, we tape out the size we just printed from the bottom, and slide the screen down to the new size. We are able to print 200+ neck tags an hour with this method.

Old November 24th, 2010 Nov 24, 2010 3:02:54 PM -   #44 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hope this doesn't take the thread off topic... I'm currently designing some shirts (organic white t's) and am very concerned about seeing the interior printing through the exterior of the shirt. So few questions:

1) Can anyone recommend a ink color and font style size that works best for this (low see-through). I heard light grey mentioned earlier?

2) Would it look bad if I tried to print something on the back exterior to try and cover it? With an image it might cover it pretty well, but if it's wording on the back exterior I'm afraid it will look sloppy if there's see-through from the interior.

3) If I did choose to go with wording on the exterior back, do you think it would look unprofessional if the wording was surrounded by white ink to try and cover up any interior text being seen?

Thanks!

Old November 24th, 2010 Nov 24, 2010 3:34:37 PM -   #45 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
First is sizing, you will need a screen for each size you will be running
You can put multiple sizes on one screen like shown in this video:

Quote:
1) Can anyone recommend a ink color and font style size that works best for this (low see-through). I heard light grey mentioned earlier?
Lighter color inks than the t-shirt usually work. I've used light gray and a beige.

Quote:
2) Would it look bad if I tried to print something on the back exterior to try and cover it? With an image it might cover it pretty well, but if it's wording on the back exterior I'm afraid it will look sloppy if there's see-through from the interior.
If the intent of the back image is just to cover the interior neckline, yeah, that could look bad design-wise.

Quote:
3) If I did choose to go with wording on the exterior back, do you think it would look unprofessional if the wording was surrounded by white ink to try and cover up any interior text being seen?
Seems a bit weird, but maybe I'm having a hard time picturing what you're talking about.

I don't think the ink showing through is that big of an issue if you work with your screen printer to pick the right color ink to go with the color garment that you're using.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rodney For This Useful Post:
zenwhim (November 24th, 2010)

This is a discussion about screen printing neck labels on the inside of the t-shirt? that was posted in the T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in