screen printing neck labels on the inside of the t-shirt? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

Discuss the various finishing services that can help showcase your brand. Topics include custom neck tag labels, hang tags, garment washes, folding, bagging and even shipment/packaging options.

screen printing neck labels on the inside of the t-shirt?

Like Tree2Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 1st, 2006 Jun 1, 2006 1:24:35 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: screen printing neck labels on the inside of the t-shirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
What I wonder though is if screen printing a label would be more expensive than sewing a label on (if your are outsourcing it all).
I just spoke to a printer about this. It is. They charge .25 to remove a label or .75 to replace a label. So there's a small savings there, BUT the important thing to consider (I hadn't thought about this before) is the sizing label. If you go the screen printing route, you have to have a separate screen for each size shirt. One for small, one for medium etc. The screen costs you could easily amortize but each size label would require a separate printing run and that adds costs quickly.

Another option the printer mentioned to me is having the same "brand" label screened on all shirts (without sizing info) and then having just a small sizing label sown in when the other label is removed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2006 Jun 1, 2006 1:28:42 PM -   #17 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greg
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

75 cents! the company I use charges 25 cents to take out the old label and sew in the new one on the neck tape. It's just 35 cents if it is to go under the neck tape. With no minimums! 75 cents is definitely the highest I've heard!

I also would think that it would more to have info screen printed if you are outsourcing it, unless you had some large quantities. When I was asking around at different printers, they said that they treat the price just like printing in another location. So if you have a one color screen print in the neck, it would be the same as whatever your printer charged for a 1 color print for however many shirts you were having printed up. Unless you have a large volume, that's going to be around a dollar per print.

Having woven labels made and sewn in is much cheaper, even for the most expensive of woven labels (damask).

You can get 1,000 woven polyester labels for around .15/label, and sewn in for as little as .25/label. Much cheaper than having someone print your stuff in the shirt. And like Rodney said, if you are going for a "clean" look, then most likely the old label still needs to be taken out by somebody.

As for higher quality issue, I've got a different opinion. I really think this is more market driven. I've seen people with urban wear designs print on a jerzees, hanes, etc. good looking stuff, but have people laugh at it and say "man, all he did was go get some regular shirts and print on it. this stuff ain't real!". I've seen this so many times. So maybe it's not a quality issue, but more of a ligitimacy issue. If there are people in your market that think this way, you may sell to them online because they can't see if you have a tag, but they will be the ones that won't be repeat customers, because of their view of you and your product. Real or not.

This situation is different for me. I haven't sold one shirt online yet, but have sold plenty face-to-face. And before I started getting my own labels sewn in, it was hard to convince some people to take me or my product seriously. They would look at the label and know that I don't own proclub! But once I got my labels sewn in, it was never an issue again. No one has ever asked me if it is a relabel of another shirt, mostly because the regular buying public doesn't know anything about relabeling. So when they see my label, with my company's name on it, they assume it's my shirt, and more legitimate than the next guy with the FOL label in it.

But again, I'm in a different market than most on the forums.

Last edited by Comin'OutSwingin; June 1st, 2006 at 01:56 PM..

Old June 1st, 2006 Jun 1, 2006 1:34:05 PM -   #18 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
If you go the screen printing route, you have to have a separate screen for each size shirt. One for small, one for medium etc.
the label print is so small the dif prints could be stacked on one screen with shirt hanging adjustment for each print(design)
.75 for retaggin is a lil high. Search the internet, you can find way better deals.

I have a lady here in town that will cut out and sew in new tags for .25 per shirt

Old June 1st, 2006 Jun 1, 2006 1:53:56 PM -   #19 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
If you go the screen printing route, you have to have a separate screen for each size shirt.
Usually the size and care instructions label is separate from the manufacturers brand label. So that you'd only have to remove one label (The manufacturer brand label) and leave the size label.

Then you could screen print your own label under that (unless you wanted no hanging neck label at all, then that would require removing the size label as well).

Quote:
I've seen people with urban wear designs print on a jerzees, hanes, etc. good looking stuff, but have people laugh at it and say "man, all he did was go get some regular shirts and print on it. this stuff ain't real!"
I wouldn't say that was true for all or the majority of the urban wear market.

Sure, there will always be a percentage of customers that are very "label aware", but I've seen lots of urban wear t-shirts in stores printed on regular Jerzees or Hanes with no relabeling. Maybe it's a regional thing, or just a certian sect of customers within a demographic?

I think when you're at a tradeshow level and you're up next to the Roca Wears and the Eco Unlimited and Phat Farms, you're definitely going to need to be relabeling to be seen as on the same playing field.

Old June 1st, 2006 Jun 1, 2006 3:27:52 PM -   #20 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comin'OutSwingin
75 cents! the company I use charges 25 cents to take out the old label and sew in the new one on the neck tape. It's just 35 cents if it is to go under the neck tape. With no minimums! 75 cents is definitely the highest I've heard!
That's NYC prices for ya! Actually, I only called one place. A printer that came highly recommended. I'm sure I will find cheaper once I shop around; even here in the Big Apple.

Quote:
When I was asking around at different printers, they said that they treat the price just like printing in another location. So if you have a one color screen print in the neck, it would be the same as whatever your printer charged for a 1 color print for however many shirts you were having printed up. Unless you have a large volume, that's going to be around a dollar per print.
Yeah, that's about what I was quoted as well. I may go for it anyway because I really do like that "clean" look. Or I may only go that route if I end up with shirts that have no neck labels to begin with. Gotta crunch the numbers first.

Old June 1st, 2006 Jun 1, 2006 3:38:52 PM -   #21 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greg
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Word!

That's all I really wanted to say, but there is a minimum word count so I had to add this, too!

But I get what you saying.

Old June 2nd, 2006 Jun 2, 2006 2:17:11 AM -   #22 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Also, if you are going to remove the size label, don't forget that most of the information that is legally required to be on a permanent label (i.e. country of origin, RN or full business name, care instructions, etc.) is on that tag. A screenprinted tag does meet the legal requirements for labelling (it just needs to be permanent and prominent), but if you remove the size tag you will need to transfer a lot of that information across. So there's only so clean that design can look if you want it to stay legal (Threadless are a good example of this, as their labels have had to change as they realised they weren't compliant, and last I looked they still weren't actually up to spec).

Old June 2nd, 2006 Jun 2, 2006 4:03:08 AM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
This situation is different for me. I haven't sold one shirt online yet, but have sold plenty face-to-face. And before I started getting my own labels sewn in, it was hard to convince some people to take me or my product seriously. They would look at the label and know that I don't own proclub! But once I got my labels sewn in, it was never an issue again. No one has ever asked me if it is a relabel of another shirt, mostly because the regular buying public doesn't know anything about relabeling. So when they see my label, with my company's name on it, they assume it's my shirt, and more legitimate than the next guy with the FOL label in it.

But again, I'm in a different market than most on the forums.
Concur that it depends on your market. I've been thinking about this for the market that I'm going after... My two prime competitors are well known throughout my target demographic and both have their own labels... I really want labels in my shirts, but have decided against it until I break even.

So I guess I'm about to find out if labels really matter within my target market.

Old July 9th, 2007 Jul 9, 2007 4:34:35 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

I HEAT PRESS MY LABELS IN...
AND USE CUSTOM HANG TAGS .

SWEETFACE

Old July 10th, 2007 Jul 10, 2007 10:10:54 AM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

This is an old thread, but I was reading through it and it sounds like what we do to an extent. We screen print the information from both tags we clip on our label by turning the shirts inside out. We have all the sizes on one screen, and a piece of tape keeps the ones we don't want to print from showing up. It was really a nice, workable solution for us, and would seem to be for anyone doing their own screen work. Not sure what it would cost to get someone to do it for you though.

Old July 10th, 2007 Jul 10, 2007 10:40:34 AM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I know alstyle has a tear away label and I know a great local place in Miami that does iron on labels. I also have a few seamstresses that work for me that will do a complete under the collar label change for about .25 a shirt. For more info feel free to private message or email me I'd be more than happy to help.

Old July 10th, 2007 Jul 10, 2007 10:45:29 AM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

i think alstyle only has tear out tags for the 1701 style.... and they charge $2.40 per dozen for tag removal........

this sort of pissed me off that they only offer tear outs for one style.....

b

Old July 10th, 2007 Jul 10, 2007 11:05:15 AM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

yeah but you could buy the 1301 style and have the label swapped out. While still keeping the size label but having your brand label on the top. I think it looks more professional and it's still pretty economic.

Old September 12th, 2007 Sep 12, 2007 2:10:28 PM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
As far as the end, paying customer goes, I don't think they could care one bit about a t-shirt having a custom neck label. It's just not a selling point. Especially online when a customer will never see or know about the neck label when they are buying the t-shirt.
Actually, it is a major selling point, depending on the customer. Even on-line customers who can't see it in the ad will see it when they receive it and when they tell their friends to (or not to) purchase from you. If you are a brand, then people appreciate the extra details and will pay more for your products at retail locations. We have a print shop as well as a retail outlet in a local mall where we offer our brand to the public. We have found that those details make allot of difference in peoples' perceived value.

We remove the manufacturers labels in our shop and replace them with a screen-printed label inside the neckline, done in a color that contrasts the fabric color. The label is printed using plastisol ink through a 156 screen, and the type is perfectly legible - easier to read than the original sewn-in label. The info on the printed label includes the brand info, logo and website, material spec, washing instructions, and "Made in USA", which works since we only use garments originally made in USA. If you're using Gildan, you can't legally put "Made in USA" - you could put "Printed in USA", and should still put "Made in Honduras" or wherever that particular run came from.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sheepsalt For This Useful Post:
InkExcellence (January 18th, 2012)
Old September 13th, 2007 Sep 13, 2007 8:17:07 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I'm still debating on how I'm going to label.
I'm going to screen print the shirts, but wasn't sure if I should screen print a label or get custom labels sewn in. Then, I realized I have what I thought was a worthless to me hat heat transfer machine. But I bet I could use it to heat transfer labels on.
I'll do what is cheapest. I'm not to that stage, yet, though.

This is a discussion about screen printing neck labels on the inside of the t-shirt? that was posted in the T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in