T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

Discuss the various finishing services that can help showcase your brand. Topics include custom neck tag labels, hang tags, garment washes, folding, bagging and even shipment/packaging options.

T-Shirt Blanks Manufacturing...DIY?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 14th, 2006 Apr 14, 2006 12:04:48 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default T-Shirt Blanks Manufacturing...DIY?

Does anyone on this forum know anything about manufacturing t-shirt blanks from scratch? I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of finding a garment factory (States or overseas), supplying a shirt blueprint (not even sure what to call that), arranging for type of material, weave, dye, etc., and then have them make me the blank shirts in bulk.

How do you start with this process? Would it even be worthwhile? Any tips and thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2006 Apr 15, 2006 7:49:57 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greg
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: T-Shirt Blanks Manufacturing...DIY?

Very expensive. If you want it done right. I looked into this before I found blanks that fit my style.

The blueprint you are referring to is called a pattern. You need to find someone to make you a pattern. You have to have the pattern graded. You have to have markers made. Then they will make you samples from your pattern. You have to make sure that the pattern has the fit that you want.

Once all of this is done, then you have to have your material cut and sewn. You can find some local seamstresses that will sew your shirts in fewer quantities and cheaper than a factory would.

Patterns made-about $200-$450
Patterns graded-about $10 per piece. Not much for t-shirts
Markers made-about $100-$200
Sample sewn-about $50
Production-depending on what you with. Seamstress with low minimums (100 units) is about $2-$8 per shirt. Manufacturing facility with high minimums (5,000 units) is about $1-$2 per shirt.

Keep in mind these prices will vary with different people and companies, but are about an average of what they would be.

You can find some companies that will provide all of these services, or you can contract out different parts.

As you can see, it can get expensive very fast! That's why we use blanks that are already made!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Comin'OutSwingin For This Useful Post:
EXile (June 9th, 2008), mookate (August 6th, 2008), pwapparel (June 7th, 2008)
Old April 18th, 2006 Apr 18, 2006 9:28:02 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Wow, I missed this post before. Thanks for the breakdown COS!

Old April 18th, 2006 Apr 18, 2006 2:55:29 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

Yeesh... okay, you've put the fear of God in me, CominOutSwinging. I had no idea at all in terms of costs involved. Thanks for all that info. That certainly gives me a lot to think about. Obviously, the DIY route would only make sense if you were moving high volume. I'm not going to rule it out completely, but it'll be on the back burner for now.

Old April 18th, 2006 Apr 18, 2006 5:27:30 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Yep, that's the same approach I'm using. It's good info to know. The same process goes for just about getting any garment made, so you can keep it in mind if you want something else made besides t-shirts.

Your profit margin would be higher, on items such as sweatshirts and things like that, that could make it worth your while if you wanted custom items.

Old April 25th, 2006 Apr 25, 2006 10:11:23 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Man

Hi there, my first post here.

i got my first run of tshirts printed in Thailand (Bangkok). i basically brought a "cut" that i wanted and discussed it with the factory. everything is ordered from scratch, thickness, fabric quality, sizes, collar, stitching style, hem sizes, label, etc. i went through the list one by one with their seamstress.

the small factory will order fabric from a bigger factory, sent to a screen printer and sent back to them for cut and sewing. some factory will do the last 2 in-house. bigger factory will do everything in house with stricter quality control and usually takes a minimum order of 2400 pcs sometimes more per design. these are factories that does nike, adidas, etc. price will range from US1.50 to US4 bagged and packed as per your spec.

if you're looking for just blanks, the price should be cheaper.

There's hundreds of small factory and their minimum order varies, mine was 500pcs per design. it was my first experience ordering from Thailand. it takes quite a while to finish (depending on how busy they are) and communication could be a problem. compared to the alternatively cheaper Ciina where you have to monitor and approve everything to make sure they dont screw up, Thailand is better and beer is cheap.

other alternatives are Indonesia, Bangladesh or Vietnam.

hope this info helps.

Old April 25th, 2006 Apr 25, 2006 2:06:03 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanks for the info, Mikel! Woohoo...roadtrip to Thailand! Er, I mean, plane trip, and only after I sell a few hundred thousand shirts.

In all seriousness, what you described is precisely what I'd like to set up some day for my supply line.

Thai food is awesome...

Old April 25th, 2006 Apr 25, 2006 4:37:01 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

If you would like something in the US, I found this the other day:

www.fesslerusa.com

They are a one-stop-shop.

"Normal" minimums are 1,200 per style. I spoke with someone on the phone that said that they can work with this number.

Old April 25th, 2006 Apr 25, 2006 4:47:10 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

AlternativeApparel also does custom blanks with a 1200 piece minimum.

Old April 25th, 2006 Apr 25, 2006 4:49:44 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

The pricing mainly depends on the quality.

If you have your own design depending on the manufacturer they prefer larger orders rather than small who wouldnt.

Most will work with your target price unless its outrageously low. There are several who would take smaller orders like 250 - 500 but to a point once you add in the cost of shipment you may as well but wholesale, unless you want it cause its your design and name.

Things usually goes
1. You give all info for the shirt you need, gsm, quantity, color, size chart measurements.
2. Some manufacturers ask for a sample of a tee that has the quality that you are looking for so they can reduplicate the fabric for you.
3. make sample send to you and if you like it production goes ahead.

*** Some people (agents) act as manufacturer that may have shirts premade in the quality that you are looking and just slap your name on it to keep their costs down.

Old May 12th, 2006 May 12, 2006 10:04:43 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

do recommend any companies that do this? websites or contact info.
thanks.

Old January 30th, 2008 Jan 30, 2008 12:43:21 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

i don't mean to sound harsh, but if you're saying things like "a t-shirt blueprint" you should probably spend a little more time learning about production before you delve-in. Errors can be seriously costly and manufacturing is not something that is best learned while doing.

Old January 31st, 2008 Jan 31, 2008 4:40:33 PM -   #13 (permalink)
A1
T-Shirt Fan

Default My own T-shirt w/tag

Does anyone know where i can get my own t-shirts made? Not designs or customizing for already made t-shirts, but my own t-shirt brand....name, tag. I like longer t-shirts but i'm very picky on size so i thought it i just made my own or had them made it would be perfect. Thanks

Old February 1st, 2008 Feb 1, 2008 3:36:58 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Default Re: My own T-shirt w/tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1
Does anyone know where i can get my own t-shirts made? Not designs or customizing for already made t-shirts, but my own t-shirt brand....name, tag. I like longer t-shirts but i'm very picky on size so i thought it i just made my own or had them made it would be perfect. Thanks
What kind of quantities are you looking for? Usually it takes several hundreds or 1000+ to get them made custom.

Old February 2nd, 2008 Feb 2, 2008 8:42:27 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Tim

I contacted Sanmar because I knew that they offered this service and like COS said, the minimum was 5,000. A friend of mine is an overseas shipping broker, his minimum was 10-20,000.

This is a discussion about T-Shirt Blanks Manufacturing...DIY? that was posted in the T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in