T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

Discuss the various finishing services that can help showcase your brand. Topics include custom neck tag labels, hang tags, garment washes, folding, bagging and even shipment/packaging options.

Should I relabel American Apparel Shirts

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By headfirst

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 9th, 2013 Aug 9, 2013 1:24:53 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Should I relabel American Apparel Shirts

Hello!

I am using American Apparel shirts for my new tee shirt line.

Since I am a new company in the world of tee shirts I was airing on the side of just keeping the American Apparel labels already provided in the shirts in tact and just having custom hang tags for my line attached with gold pins.

Part of the appeal of using AA shirts is that they are well-known, Made in USA shirts that I want to advertise to my customers. I was also thinking this was a more cost effective way to go as well as recognizing the quality and USA-made nature of the base shirts.

I am starting with 10-12 designs and using 1-2 different styles of shirts of which I plan to purchase directly from AA. I was thinking I could revisit relabeling if the business grows and things sell. I realize I am missing out advertising my brand/website in the tag.

Does anyone do this? Is not having your brand/website a big disadvantage when not relabeling with your own tags?

Also, I should mention, I plan on selling some of them wholesale, is not relabeling a major turnoff (or a turnon) for stores? I would be selling to smaller indie/gift-type shops. (p.s. I own another business and already sell my products in those stores and believe some of them will carry my line as well.)

Appreciate the help regarding opinions and thoughts on relabeling AA apparel.

Last edited by tshirtloverkatie; August 9th, 2013 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2013 Aug 9, 2013 3:51:16 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Patrick
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: Should I relabel American Apparel Shirts

It's a premium shirt. If your brand carries enough weight that it will sell on its own than fine. Otherwise leave the AA tags in as it's a selling point.

If you're going to relabel why spend extra for AA?
quantum_MC likes this.

Old August 9th, 2013 Aug 9, 2013 4:06:56 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks @headfirst. That was kind of my thoughts. I have tried other US made shirts (Royal and US blanks.) but leaning towards AA. About .15 cents more a short but I can leverage their brand when selling them. People know the brand vs the others.

Old July 7th, 2014 Jul 7, 2014 8:21:29 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Dear, I am planning to use American Apparel blank T-shirt as source for my T-shirt as well, can I put my own brand logo together with the American Apparel ?

Old July 8th, 2014 Jul 8, 2014 12:42:16 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstse
Dear, I am planning to use American Apparel blank T-shirt as source for my T-shirt as well, can I put my own brand logo together with the American Apparel ?
I've done this. People will understand that your brand did the graphic print and AA manufactured the shirt. You're not pretending to be a cut and sew operation. Leaving the AA tag does help it stand out against cheap Gildans and Hanes. It also allows you to print just one single neck label that does not contain size and other labeling requirements since the AA tag already has that. So you don't have to switch/swap labels for every size.

The Following User Says Thank You to deepbluex For This Useful Post:
ryanae (July 29th, 2014)
Old July 8th, 2014 Jul 8, 2014 3:46:56 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepbluex
I've done this. People will understand that your brand did the graphic print and AA manufactured the shirt. You're not pretending to be a cut and sew operation. Leaving the AA tag does help it stand out against cheap Gildans and Hanes. It also allows you to print just one single neck label that does not contain size and other labeling requirements since the AA tag already has that. So you don't have to switch/swap labels for every size.
Dear deepbluex,

Much appreciate on the information and it do help me move forward !!!! At the mean time, can you share with me your experience what kind of label you are using and how you put your label on the T shirt together with the AA label ? It will be much appreciate if you can show me some sample pictures if convenience to you. Thanks a lot.

This is a discussion about Should I relabel American Apparel Shirts that was posted in the T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in