Shipping Poly Mailers? What to charge? How to calculate costs? - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing

Discuss the various finishing services that can help showcase your brand. Topics include custom neck tag labels, hang tags, garment washes, folding, bagging and even shipment/packaging options.

Shipping Poly Mailers? What to charge? How to calculate costs?

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 20th, 2013 Aug 20, 2013 8:52:12 AM -   #31 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 2,491 Times in 2,209 Posts

Default Re: Shipping Poly Mailers? What to charge? How to calculate costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolenes
can I do that and is it more expensive??
It can be more expensive if the weight of the poly bag and sticker(s) tips you into a higher weight postage bracket.

Quote:
I just want to do something that my customers will get the "wow effect" when they will open the package.
I like for my product to create the 'wow effect', not packaging. Every time I get fancy packaging I can't help but think how much less my purchase would have been if they would have just left out the fancy stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2013 Aug 30, 2013 4:48:15 AM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Kristine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I wrap my orders in tissue paper when I ship them. Nothing special, maybe ill get custom printed eventually but plain works fine. It adds perceived value (at least to myself and customers) and doesn't cost that much more per shipment.

I mail in regular bubble mailers or priority from USPS. On occasion I ship UPS, but not nearly as often.
JackyBrown likes this.

Old March 8th, 2018 Mar 8, 2018 8:14:06 AM -   #33 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by splathead
It can cost a lot more actually. Minimum price for using the Priority envelope costs $4.90 in postage.

I can ship a single shirt in a .25 cent poly bag for for as low as $1.90 and a maximum of $2.70 depending on size.
Re: Joe (of splathead.com) says he can ship a single shirt in a .25 cent poly bag for for as low as $1.90 and a maximum of $2.70 depending on size.

Came across your post of 21 Mar 2012 at https://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt...g/t179861.html

And thank you for it too. And for your honest pricing. I am increasingly getting frustrated by the high shipping costs by many on-line retailers. A good example is the nationally well-known retailer located in southern Maine whose merchandise prices are already high. I haven't bought anything from them since late January 2011, primarily because of high shipping costs. [An additional detriment for other sellers is the imposition of the egregious sales tax imposed by the state.]

Someone in their back room may have a Harvard MBA to weasel the total pricing scheme, but I can't abide that business model. There are uncountable other "merchants" on an uncountable variety of other products that are in the same rut. My message to them all is: "If you are that greedy and want to 'maximize your profits', then continue right on, but I will do without very nicely, thank you. A cheap package of T-shirts, at near the cost of shipping alone, from Wal-mart will do me just fine. Probably these sellers don't care at what they perceive as the loss of a few customers. My thought is more like: Think of all the profits you are not getting by driving those customers away by your predatory pricing.

Just wanted someone in the business to hear a customer's real feelings on the matter.

Thank you.

Nick

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 8:19:07 AM -   #34 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

We use pirateship. (pirateship.com). Almost everything we mail is less than 13 oz., so we are able to ship First Class with Tracking, and the pricing is much better than USPS. We print the labels right out of pirateship. We can include the customer's email address in the info, so that they receive an email informing them the item has shipped.

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 11:03:27 AM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzann
We use pirateship. (pirateship.com). Almost everything we mail is less than 13 oz., so we are able to ship First Class with Tracking, and the pricing is much better than USPS. We print the labels right out of pirateship. We can include the customer's email address in the info, so that they receive an email informing them the item has shipped.
We have an eCommerce business and sell retail graphic t-shirts on the online market places, eBay and Amazon, as well as our websites. Over the years USPS shipping has become very expensive and I have often considered a stand alone shipping system. We currently use eBay and Amazon shipping and label printing, as well as PayPal shipping for the website. All of these venues have special (similar rates) pricing and offer First Class rates up to 16 oz. We sell many different sizes and many can get close to or at the 16 oz weight. The stand alone shipping systems always say they are the cheapest, but with their monthly fees, I'm curious, how much cheaper, if any, they really are. I looked at Pirateship web site and can't tell what they cost, other than it is free to set up an account. Can you, possibly, give me an idea of what their fees are? Also, can you give me an example of the postage cost, from them, for 10oz, 12oz and 16oz? I would like to compare to what we are paying, now. Thanks!

...also, I forgot to mention that First Class also includes 2 to 3 day shipping that in our experience averages about a 2 day delivery.

Last edited by Zippy Doodah; 1 Week Ago at 11:07 AM.. Reason: add information

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 12:44:42 PM -   #36 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Doodah
We have an eCommerce business and sell retail graphic t-shirts on the online market places, eBay and Amazon, as well as our websites. Over the years USPS shipping has become very expensive and I have often considered a stand alone shipping system. We currently use eBay and Amazon shipping and label printing, as well as PayPal shipping for the website. All of these venues have special (similar rates) pricing and offer First Class rates up to 16 oz. We sell many different sizes and many can get close to or at the 16 oz weight. The stand alone shipping systems always say they are the cheapest, but with their monthly fees, I'm curious, how much cheaper, if any, they really are. I looked at Pirateship web site and can't tell what they cost, other than it is free to set up an account. Can you, possibly, give me an idea of what their fees are? Also, can you give me an example of the postage cost, from them, for 10oz, 12oz and 16oz? I would like to compare to what we are paying, now. Thanks!

...also, I forgot to mention that First Class also includes 2 to 3 day shipping that in our experience averages about a 2 day delivery.
I am not sure how Pirateship integrates on eCommerce sites you have. There is probably some info for that on the site. Pirateship does NOT have any fees! You only pay for the postage, and it is less than what the USPS charges. You asked about the following sizes, and I calculated them for Illinois to Washington. The 10 oz. is $4.19 First Class. The 12 oz. is $4.19 First Class. The 16 oz. is $7.99 Priority. All of these come with tracking included. You might want to create an account and check these prices for yourself.

Old 1 Week Ago May 13, 2019 3:52:19 PM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Randy

Thanks for the quick reply. I found a Comparison Tool on their website and popped in a couple of order/examples. For the most part their rates are the same as eBay, Amazon and PayPal, though I don't know if the discounts we get are more than for normal sellers. Also, they don't offer First Class to 16oz so anything over that is much higher for them. They, seem to have a cool feature that is offered through the USPS that I haven't seen anywhere else called Cubic rate (or something like that) and is great if your shipping small heavy items like coffee. For the most part, I have found that using the shipping platforms and rates from the aforementioned online market places as well as PayPal are hard to beat and offer seamless shipping, reporting and payment. As a note eBay is moving away from PayPal and will have there own payment processing, by 2021, and that is going to make using their shipping module a pain. So, maybe, then Pirateship will be a good alternative. No matter what you use, though, shipping rates are outrageous and continue to get worst!

This is a discussion about Shipping Poly Mailers? What to charge? How to calculate costs? that was posted in the T-Shirt Tag Relabeling and Finishing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in