Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Forums.com Announcements > T shirt Printing Issues
Having trouble making your T shirt? Post here

Epson DTG F2100 Ink expansive ripoff

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 22nd, 2020 Feb 22, 2020 11:57:33 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Gigflyinc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Epson DTG F2100 Ink expansive ripoff

Hello everyone. I recently purchased an epson f2100 DTG printer. When I went for the demo they said white ink cost would be low and that ink would probably cost around $2 per t-shirt print. I ended up purchasing the printer and I am now finding out that that cost was totally wrong. It is costing me about $6 to print each t-shirt. This ink is very expensive and is a total rip-off. I recently tried to purchase a bulk ink system and ordered some cartridges from AliExpress with chips and I also ordered Kodak DTG inks. But it looks like the chip that was provided to me it's not working with the printer. When I load the cartridges in it goes on a cleaning cycle then says the ink is not compatible. I'm getting pretty frustrated with this as the white ink is getting very expensive and I'm making zero money off this machine. I have also tried messing with the settings but I find that if the printer isn't on one of the highest quality settings it gets a very low quality print which I am not satisfied with. Has anyone else used a bulking system on this printer? If so where did you purchase your cartridges from and how did you get them to work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2020 Feb 23, 2020 12:37:25 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default Re: Epson DTG F2100 Ink expansive ripoff

Probably due to the US firmware. The European versions are required by law to allow the use of compatible chips and ink cartridges.

Using non-epson white ink is tricky and you can easily damage your printhead using the wrong one. I used dupont inks when I had the printer, but I forgot which version is the compatible one. I think it was the 3500... not sure though. I have no idea if Kodak ink is compatible.

Old February 23rd, 2020 Feb 23, 2020 3:40:54 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
I used dupont inks when I had the printer, but I forgot which version is the compatible one. I think it was the 3500... not sure though. I have no idea if Kodak ink is compatible.

I tried the 5000 series of dupont inks and the white is incompatible, so TABOB is probably right and is the 3000 series that works.

You can also try the F-series of image armor that work very well, but is not cheap as the dupont.

Anyway, 6$ per shirt seems to me very high. I found that the garment creator lay down too much white ink for many prints and with a different rip you can save from 15% to 30% of white ink (depending by the graphic).
If you haven't done yet, you can also check again into the process of pretreatment. Many times a different shirt brand and better pretreatment process can save a lot of ink

Old February 23rd, 2020 Feb 23, 2020 5:28:05 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I verified that the Kodak inks are compatible with my printer. It is the chip set that I got that isn't working. Was just wondering where everyone got their chipsets from or cartridges?

Old February 23rd, 2020 Feb 23, 2020 6:10:50 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelion
Anyway, 6$ per shirt seems to me very high. I found that the garment creator lay down too much white ink for many prints and with a different rip you can save from 15% to 30% of white ink (depending by the graphic).
If you haven't done yet, you can also check again into the process of pretreatment. Many times a different shirt brand and better pretreatment process can save a lot of ink
Epson's $2 claim is for a 6x8 print area. If you print 12x16 it will obviously cost 4 times that amount... Which is $8.
Overcomplicating things is never a good thing. Reducing the amount of ink, or increasing the amount of pretreatment will affect washability. Using a more economical ink is as far as I'd go.

Old February 23rd, 2020 Feb 23, 2020 7:01:54 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Epson's $2 claim is for a 6x8 print area. If you print 12x16 it will obviously cost 4 times that amount... Which is $8.
Overcomplicating things is never a good thing. Reducing the amount of ink, or increasing the amount of pretreatment will affect washability. Using a more economical ink is as far as I'd go.
Yes I agree with this totally. But I can't have ink cost like this. How do I make money? It's almost criminal.

Old February 23rd, 2020 Feb 23, 2020 8:07:31 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigflyinc
Yes I agree with this totally. But I can't have ink cost like this. How do I make money? It's almost criminal.
It is like that unfortunately. What you can do is adapt and diversify.
1. Create designs that require less ink,
2. find a way to use cheaper ink.
3. use other printing methods.

Old February 23rd, 2020 Feb 23, 2020 2:14:27 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:

never said to increase the amount of pretreat, but to check the process. There could be many reasons behind a non optimal pretreatment and a non optimal pretreated surface generally force to put more white to obtain decent results.

second point I print mainly big image (generally from 12x15 to 12x17) and 80-85% of black garment. My average amount of ink per print is less than 5 ml and it's very difficult that one print use more than 10 ml.
I don't care what Epson claim, I prefer to do my own math.

Last, but don't least, before change the ink, I would try to make the things work with the original inks.
I haven't find a more overall reliable inks than the Epson that works well with this machine.

Old February 24th, 2020 Feb 24, 2020 2:27:10 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelion
never said to increase the amount of pretreat, but to check the process. There could be many reasons behind a non optimal pretreatment and a non optimal pretreated surface generally force to put more white to obtain decent results.

second point I print mainly big image (generally from 12x15 to ) and 80-85% of black garment. My average amount of ink per print is less than 5 ml and it's very difficult that one print use more than 10 ml.
I don't care what Epson claim, I prefer to do my own math.

Last, but don't least, before change the ink, I would try to make the things work with the original inks.
I haven't find a more overall reliable inks than the Epson that works well with this machine.
Maybe you print line art... Dense prints like photos use more ink.
The OP has already bought Kodak Inks to try, and he can do his own reliability tests.

This is a discussion about Epson DTG F2100 Ink expansive ripoff that was posted in the T shirt Printing Issues section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in