Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Forums.com Announcements > T shirt Printing Issues
Having trouble making your T shirt? Post here

Sublimation dark fabric

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NoXid
  • 1 Post By NoXid

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 5 Days Ago Apr 12, 2019 4:44:23 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Sublimation dark fabric

Do they make a sublimation inkjet for dark fabric?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago Apr 12, 2019 4:45:44 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: Sublimation dark fabric

[QUOTE=dayday67;4426771]Do they make a sublimation inkjet for dark fabric?[/QUOTE]
Self-weeding heat transfer for dark fabric with sublimation inkjet

Old 5 Days Ago Apr 12, 2019 9:26:08 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Thanked 2,490 Times in 2,208 Posts

No. Ink has to be darker than the fabric.

Old 4 Days Ago Apr 12, 2019 10:56:04 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Sublimation is a dye process, and dying is an additive process: blue and yellow yield green. Black is all the colors combined. Applying more dye to a black substrate only makes it blacker or slightly shifts the tone of the black, making it a bit warmer or cooler in tone, but irrevocably black.

Pigment based inks are a different process from sublimation. Pigments don't dye the substrate, they paint over it, like house paint. White inks/paints contain a metric poop-ton of titanium dioxide pigment in order to conceal the substrate color.

Old 3 Days Ago Apr 13, 2019 12:30:20 PM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,124 Times in 832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayday67
Self-weeding heat transfer for dark fabric with sublimation inkjet
You can if you are willing to spend on cheap B/W printer with the black toner replaced with white toner, self weeding 2 step Imageclip Laser Dark and Sublimation inkjet printer. You need white underbase to apply sublimation for dark fabric. Opaque from Imageclip transfer and White toner will be the underbase.

It would be similar process in this thread Here. Except the inkjet ink used was regular dye(It should have been pigment ink or sublimation) and the laser printer was CMYK to print the white underbase. Sublimation inkjet printer and B/W printer will work instead of regular pigment inkjet and CMYK laser printers as well.

Atttransfer sells the white toner for B/W printer. Buy the recommended B/W printer by Atttransfer from any office supply and save money.

The image below is one of the photos in the tread above. It was pressed on dark fabric. Again I used regular dye ink because I did not have sublimation inkjet printer. Sublimation ink will work as well. The second was done with sublimation ink, white laser and Imageclip Laser dark transfer. Pardon the registration comment. I have to be honest the process is not flawless. You have to be careful when marrying and weeding the laser transfer.

Last edited by Lnfortun; 3 Days Ago at 01:07 PM..

Old 3 Days Ago Apr 13, 2019 3:29:36 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

That sort of approach is indeed an option, but it is NOT sublimating the shirt. It is sublimating a piece of plastic that one then heat presses onto the shirt--at which point it is little different than pigment ink transfers or Plastisol transfers in that there is a layer of "stuff" stuck onto the face of the shirt, as opposed to sublimation of the actual shirt which dyes the shirt without adding any weight or feel or layer to its surface.

Yes, yes, I know you know this. Just making it clear for those who don't, as every even remotely ambiguous post on this topic results in some believing they have sighted a unicorn that does not in fact exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnfortun
You can if you are willing to spend on cheap B/W printer with the black toner replaced with white toner, self weeding 2 step Imageclip Laser Dark and Sublimation inkjet printer. You need white underbase to apply sublimation for dark fabric. Opaque from Imageclip transfer and White toner will be the underbase.

It would be similar process in this thread Here. Except the inkjet ink used was regular dye(It should have been pigment ink or sublimation) and the laser printer was CMYK to print the white underbase. Sublimation inkjet printer and B/W printer will work instead of regular pigment inkjet and CMYK laser printers as well.

Atttransfer sells the white toner for B/W printer. Buy the recommended B/W printer by Atttransfer from any office supply and save money.

The image below is one of the photos in the tread above. It was pressed on dark fabric. Again I used regular dye ink because I did not have sublimation inkjet printer. Sublimation ink will work as well. The second was done with sublimation ink, white laser and Imageclip Laser dark transfer. Pardon the registration comment. I have to be honest the process is not flawless. You have to be careful when marrying and weeding the laser transfer.

Old 1 Day Ago Apr 15, 2019 3:19:53 PM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
That sort of approach is indeed an option, but it is NOT sublimating the shirt. It is sublimating a piece of plastic that one then heat presses onto the shirt--at which point it is little different than pigment ink transfers or Plastisol transfers in that there is a layer of "stuff" stuck onto the face of the shirt, as opposed to sublimation of the actual shirt which dyes the shirt without adding any weight or feel or layer to its surface.

Yes, yes, I know you know this. Just making it clear for those who don't, as every even remotely ambiguous post on this topic results in some believing they have sighted a unicorn that does not in fact exist.
I know it is not sublimating the shirt directly. How else would one do on dark shirt and 100% cotton to boot, without using underbase that will block the shirt color, besides removing the dye on the shirt where the image would be sublimated. There was a company long ago that sells dark shirt with dye where the image will be sublimated is removed.

I posted as an option to do dark shirts. I am not claiming a Unicorn or holy Grail it is just another option.

BTW here is a better photo of the ATTTRansfer's process. It was done by Ross Hardie in Inkjetcarts.us facility. I was told "Ross thinks it is better than DTG". The test substrate was not for commercial use. It was done to test the process. The fabric used was 100% cotton which cannot be directly sublimated.

Last edited by Lnfortun; 1 Day Ago at 03:28 PM..

Old 1 Day Ago Apr 16, 2019 5:38:22 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ted
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnfortun
BTW here is a better photo of the ATTTRansfer's process.
Link/image does not work. I tried copy/pasting it and all I got was a black screen...

Al claimed he had a better paper he was bringing to production. That was last summer. I tried to buy his 'system' last summer. All I will say is Caveat Emptor and leave it at that.

Old 4 Hours Ago Apr 17, 2019 6:36:46 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

This is one of the worst forums I know for image posting.

Old 2 Hours Ago Apr 17, 2019 8:59:29 AM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfalk
Link/image does not work. I tried copy/pasting it and all I got was a black screen...

Al claimed he had a better paper he was bringing to production. That was last summer. I tried to buy his 'system' last summer. All I will say is Caveat Emptor and leave it at that.
Sorry about that. Here is the forums way of uploading photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1766.jpg (74.0 KB, 5 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to Lnfortun For This Useful Post:
tfalk (53 Minutes Ago)

This is a discussion about Sublimation dark fabric that was posted in the T shirt Printing Issues section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in