Are these printing errors industry standard or should I get a reprint? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Forums.com Announcements > T shirt Printing Issues
Having trouble making your T shirt? Post here

Are these printing errors industry standard or should I get a reprint?

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 8:43:11 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Are these printing errors industry standard or should I get a reprint?

Hi, I recently got some shirts printed (100) and the majority have printing errors. I don't want to be a **** and complain about things that are industry standard. There are some smears and double image on the seams of a few shirts (this I understand is perfectly acceptable on the seams), what I'm mainly concerned about is the misalignment of the shirts.
They seem to have used a tank template or pre-cut the design (don't know the terminology here, sorry) so my design is cut off in the tank shape and doesn't go all the way to the seam, which looks really weird since the misalignment is at the neck seem and it's an all-over print. There are also little random spots of ink on a majority of the shirts. A piece of one of the sun rays (the design is a black sun/face pattern) seems to have come off and deposited the ink.
Also the design doesn't go all the way up to the shoulder seems (it's a Jumbo print on XS, S, M, L so it's not like it doesn't fit, just wasn't lined up correctly).
I'd appreciate any help with what I should request a reprint for and correct terminology so I know what to say when contacting the printer.
The ink used was red and black water based ink printed on 100% cotton American Apparel shirt
Thanks
Blue92 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 8:44:29 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: Are these printing errors industry standard or should I get a reprint?

Post up pics of the original artwork and the finished shirt

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 9:00:24 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Are these printing errors industry standard or should I get a reprint?

Can't figure out how to add attachments. Reading the instructions, but there's no manage attachments button under Additional Options :/ Help.

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 9:17:01 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Just above the text box in the "Reply" area there should be a yellow icon that looks like a mountain. Click it to add an image.

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 9:22:52 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Misprints by Tatiana Capitan | Photobucket

Hope this link works, so you can see the original design and photos of the printed shirts.

Thanks

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 10:33:06 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Nope, no mountains here. Thanks anyway Decided to upload them onto Photobucket Misprints by Tatiana Capitan | Photobucket

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 2:13:15 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Bryan

Seriously... How the hell do you post a picture???? I see nothing that looks like a mountain... and theres no image option under "Additional Options"

Could this be a Chrome issue?

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 3:42:32 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Jeron
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

How many shirts did you order and how many shirts have defects like in the pictures..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using T-Shirt Forums

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 3:55:03 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I'd be on the phone especially about the ones with smudges. Seriously how many ones you buy from even Walmart with smudges ? NONE so no not a industry standard. Same for the double images.
Either get your money back or have them redo them, then next time find a company that does them right on the first shot.

Good Luck

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 5:12:47 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Shep
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Smudges look like fingerprints.
Art does not look like fits the garments.
Not sure of job specs though.
Little bits of moving after first hit show.
Easily could be done better though.
Depending on spec , piece print may have been the best solution before assembly.

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 6:33:23 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtbyTati
Misprints by Tatiana Capitan | Photobucket

Hope this link works, so you can see the original design and photos of the printed shirts.

Thanks
-the random dots could have been pinholes in the screen. should have been sprayed out.
-an all-over print should be all over, not stop short of the shoulders or the neck.
-no printing over creases/folds.
-no smudges or smears
-one photo looks like the red and black screens are out of registration (minor registration issues are acceptable, you decide if it's a problem or not).
all the shirts with those problems are rejects and not acceptable for retail sale.

If a company is going to say they can do this kind of printing, then they should do it right and not be sloppy. Cotton shirts are very "trainable" and you can set them how you need to inside a template and hold them in place. So I don't see any excuse for giving you these misprints, and they are misprints. It looks like they rushed through the job and really don't care what kind of quality they produce. Make them replace the misprints, and don't give them any future jobs. Be firm.

Last edited by artlife; July 30th, 2015 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: edit

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 6:44:49 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by uWantitWear
Seriously... How the hell do you post a picture???? I see nothing that looks like a mountain... and theres no image option under "Additional Options"

Could this be a Chrome issue?
Click "reply with quote". Above the area where you type are several icons. To the right of text options are insert link (globe with chain links), remove link (chain with red X), email link (letter and envelope) then insert image (square with mountains and sun and yellow sky). Above these are also a white smiley, and a paper clip (insert attachment). When you put your cursor over an icon, a blue square will appear behind to show it's clickable. The insert image looks for the URL of an image online. The insert attachment (paper clip) allow you to upload from your computer.

Old July 30th, 2015 Jul 30, 2015 7:57:19 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Talking Re: Are these printing errors industry standard or should I get a reprint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artlife
Click "reply with quote". Above the area where you type are several icons. To the right of text options are insert link (globe with chain links), remove link (chain with red X), email link (letter and envelope) then insert image (square with mountains and sun and yellow sky). Above these are also a white smiley, and a paper clip (insert attachment). When you put your cursor over an icon, a blue square will appear behind to show it's clickable. The insert image looks for the URL of an image online. The insert attachment (paper clip) allow you to upload from your computer.

There are no insert image or insert attachment options on my toolbar when I post a reply.

I suspect that you have to have a certain number of posts to have those options enabled. This is only my second post I believe.

After the Insert Email Link icon it shows a speech bubble icon with the help text of "Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text". After the white smiley face there are the undo and redo arrows.

I would upload a screenshot of my toolbar but...

Old July 31st, 2015 Jul 31, 2015 6:50:32 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Just went through all 100 shirts and ALL of them have at least one of the defects shown in the pics, the majority being the neckline misalignment..and the red cheek missing from one of the faces (it was not like this on the original artwork file). If they are otherwise decent they are misaligned and don't go all the way up to the shoulder seam. The artwork does fit the garments; the artwork is 19x33, the largest shirt size printed is 31-1/4" inches long so no reason it wouldn't fit. They seem to have cut the screens in a tank shape with the neckline and arm lines cut out (is this standard?) so if misaligned the artwork gets cut off. If they had just used the full artwork, even if slightly misaligned it wouldn't show and all artwork would go to the seams. I really want to know if the screen is normally cut in the shirt shape? I had never seen that before.

Old July 31st, 2015 Jul 31, 2015 1:25:05 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

[QUOTE=Helvis;3131970]There are no insert image or insert attachment options on my toolbar when I post a reply.

I suspect that you have to have a certain number of posts to have those options enabled. This is only my second post I believe.

After the Insert Email Link icon it shows a speech bubble icon with the help text of "Wrap
Quote:
tags around selected text". After the white smiley face there are the undo and redo arrows.

I would upload a screenshot of my toolbar but...
If that's true (X # of posts before posting image link) then that's the dumbest thing I ever heard of. I guess you'll need to look through whatever sticky posts about 'rules' there happen to be around here. I don't see anything about this in forum guidelines. But people complain about the how to post images all the time.

This is a discussion about Are these printing errors industry standard or should I get a reprint? that was posted in the T shirt Printing Issues section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in