T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Marketing

T-Shirt Marketing Category Sponsor

Discuss the fun task of marketing a t-shirt shop. Where to advertise, local marketing tips, word of mouth, press releases, search engine marketing, keyword advertising, magazines, etc.

Help....advice selling garments

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ink Sauce

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 16th, 2019 Jan 16, 2019 9:25:32 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Help....advice selling garments

Hey all, looking for a little guidance. I am new to this so.... when approaching a potential customer to sell my HT printing services where do I direct them to pick out blank apparel, totes, gifts, ect?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2019 Jan 17, 2019 6:13:16 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Ryan
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Help....advice selling garments

You can usually send them to your preferred vendor's site, unless they have an account they shouldn't be able to see your cost of the items.

Old March 25th, 2019 Mar 25, 2019 3:06:49 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

vendor's site is a good idea.You can try paid ads like google ads and more.

Old March 31st, 2019 Mar 31, 2019 8:15:22 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I think rather than sending them off to Sanmar, Broder, or S&S Activewear to find their own shirts they like or handing them a stack of catalogs, you should try creating your own "catalog".

Pick the most popular categories like short sleeve tees, long sleeve tees, hoodies, etc and choose 3-5 of your favorite styles to print for each.

So for t-shirts, it might look like this.
- Want something budget friendly? Here's the Gildan 2000.
- Want something super soft? Try our Bella + Canvas 3001.
- Want something American Made? The Royal Apparel 5051 is a good fit.

It would best to set this up on your website. But if you don't have that setup yet, you could could simply link them to 2-3 specific options at your vendors website.

What's the reasoning behind this?
If asked we will all say we like to have options. But studies have shown that too much choice can overwhelm buyers and prevent them from making purchasing decisions at all.

Most buyers don't want to learn the ins and outs of 100 different styles of short sleeve tees.

So in your conversations with your potential buyers via phone, email, whatever – position yourself as the expert on printing and garment by asking questions like:

- why are you wanting to buy shirts? for an event? to promote your business?
- what type of shirts do you wear all the time?
- do you prefer something more lightweight or heavier weight?
- etc

This way you're personalizing the experience for each customer, and they'll feel like you truly understand them. That will help you close the sale and stand out from competitors who simply ask "Ok. What type of shirt do you want?"

Last edited by Ink Sauce; March 31st, 2019 at 08:51 AM..

Old March 31st, 2019 Mar 31, 2019 11:23:45 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mad Scientist
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Most shirt vendors offer a non-branded generic site that you can link to yours as an online catalog. You can choose to show pricing or not. Some show inventory levels. We have 3 linked to our website.

Old March 31st, 2019 Mar 31, 2019 12:08:30 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Roger

I prefer to find out as much information as possible about the project. Once you have the information you can provide expert advice and recommendations to them for the apparel items. Things to consider - print process...screen printing, direct to garment, vinyl, etc. Artwork .... colors, size, placement, etc. Do they have a specific item they want... comfort colors, bella + canvas, gildan, etc. What is their budget ... how much do they want to spend? Do they want an affordable, mid-level, high end option? Is the project on polyester, cotton, blend item.. etc.

Ok I think you get the idea. I prefer to collect the information and then provide the customer samples of my recommendations. I will try to get their artwork and do a mock up on several apparel items for them to review as soon as possible. If they just want to see the product you can create a flyer with your business info and images that you pull from your suppliers website. Almost all top level sites that sell apparel have hi-res images for you to use in your marketing or business process...flyers, website, mockups, etc.

This shows that you are an expert with your recommendations, you understand their project and end goal. It takes time, but you can create a lof of this information before you need it and then just add the images and send it out. I can usually send these out in less than 15 minutes if I have the photos of the apparel items in my library already. I hope this helps.

Old July 15th, 2019 Jul 15, 2019 9:02:32 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Sauce
I think rather than sending them off to Sanmar, Broder, or S&S Activewear to find their own shirts they like or handing them a stack of catalogs, you should try creating your own "catalog".

Pick the most popular categories like short sleeve tees, long sleeve tees, hoodies, etc and choose 3-5 of your favorite styles to print for each.

So for t-shirts, it might look like this.
- Want something budget friendly? Here's the Gildan 2000.
- Want something super soft? Try our Bella + Canvas 3001.
- Want something American Made? The Royal Apparel 5051 is a good fit.

It would best to set this up on your website. But if you don't have that setup yet, you could could simply link them to 2-3 specific options at your vendors website.

What's the reasoning behind this?
If asked we will all say we like to have options. But studies have shown that too much choice can overwhelm buyers and prevent them from making purchasing decisions at all.

Most buyers don't want to learn the ins and outs of 100 different styles of short sleeve tees.

So in your conversations with your potential buyers via phone, email, whatever – position yourself as the expert on printing and garment by asking questions like:

- why are you wanting to buy shirts? for an event? to promote your business?
- what type of shirts do you wear all the time?
- do you prefer something more lightweight or heavier weight?
- etc

This way you're personalizing the experience for each customer, and they'll feel like you truly understand them. That will help you close the sale and stand out from competitors who simply ask "Ok. What type of shirt do you want?"
Hello, i completely agree with you. Creating your own catalog is more beneficial then sending them to some vendor's site. This will really help in providing excellent service to customers and aids you in enhancing your brand value.

Old July 15th, 2019 Jul 15, 2019 11:24:50 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I think it's a bad idea having links that direct potential customers away from your website. Once you've got 'em, keep' em! (facebook style. It works for Zuckerberg).

This is a discussion about Help....advice selling garments that was posted in the T-Shirt Marketing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in