T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Marketing

T-Shirt Marketing Category Sponsor

Discuss the fun task of marketing a t-shirt shop. Where to advertise, local marketing tips, word of mouth, press releases, search engine marketing, keyword advertising, magazines, etc.

Google ads vs. facebook?

Like Tree11Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 23rd, 2018 Jul 23, 2018 3:07:31 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Google ads vs. facebook?

Not sure which one truly delivers better results...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2018 Jul 23, 2018 5:01:50 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default Re: Google ads vs. facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warehouse
Not sure which one truly delivers better results...
Facebook is good for targeting a niche. People who may not be looking to buy, but may buy when the see the product.
Google display is somewhat similar to facebook.
Google adwords is for targeting people already looking to buy, and do a google search.
DTG Merch likes this.

Old July 24th, 2018 Jul 24, 2018 12:53:59 PM -   #3 (permalink)
c22
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

why not both?

Old July 24th, 2018 Jul 24, 2018 1:54:54 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Agreed. But curious as to others level of success. Bang for buck, etc...

Old July 25th, 2018 Jul 25, 2018 7:12:54 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by warehouse
Agreed. But curious as to others level of success. Bang for buck, etc...
Bang for buck depends on market research and strategy.
Here are some basic examples

Adwords example 1: If you are targeting the keyword "t-shirts", you will be burning money.
Adwords example 2: If you are targeting the keyword "beer t-shirt", and you have 50 different beer t-shirts, you will be making money.

Facebook example 1:
If you advertise a funny bacon t-shirt to everyone living in California, you will be burning money.

Facebook example 2:
If you advertise a funny bacon t-shirt to everyone living in California, and interested in BBQ (group hobbies etc) you will be making money. A good idea is to have a few other funny designs in the same category/niche (stake, burger, hot-dog, etc).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TABOB For This Useful Post:
DTG Merch (July 31st, 2019), warehouse (July 25th, 2018)
Old July 25th, 2018 Jul 25, 2018 7:28:41 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Danny
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

That is well put TABOB .....

Old July 25th, 2018 Jul 25, 2018 1:51:10 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Just friendly & helpful

Facebook has been my whole business. Every customer becomes a new friend, and then their friends see my work and then it goes on and on .
majik122 likes this.

Old July 25th, 2018 Jul 25, 2018 2:49:31 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin decals
Facebook has been my whole business. Every customer becomes a new friend, and then their friends see my work and then it goes on and on .

That's a special case method for artistic people, or generally people whose niche is what they do. If you are Justin Bieber you will be selling thousands of shirts (as he does). If you are a YouTube with talent, then again you can sell t-shirts. Here is one I find funny https://www.youtube.com/user/msadaghd Many-many more methods to create your own niche.

Old July 25th, 2018 Jul 25, 2018 4:49:46 PM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
Bang for buck depends on market research and strategy.
Here are some basic examples

Adwords example 1: If you are targeting the keyword "t-shirts", you will be burning money.
Adwords example 2: If you are targeting the keyword "https://www.t-shirtforums.com/images/editor/insertimage.gifbeer t-shirt", and you have 50 different beer t-shirts, you will be making money.

Facebook example 1:
If you advertise a funny bacon t-shirt to everyone living in California, you will be burning money.

Facebook example 2:
If you advertise a funny bacon t-shirt to everyone living in California, and interested in BBQ (group hobbies etc) you will be making money. A good idea is to have a few other funny designs in the same category/niche (stake, burger, hot-dog, etc).
Having depth of product in the niche being targeted is why ads can work for larger companies while being a waste for smaller ones--there is just a lot more product to leverage the ad expense across that might click with the potential customer.

Outside of some on-platform advertising, it has been a bust for me, and I agree with Tabob's take on this (at least about what doesn't work, but I suspect he is right about what does work too). Unfortunately, my best developed niches are not avertisable, so I can't try what I think would work.

In another thread, Tabob said that advertising success, in part, requires, "knowing what to sell." Here is where most of us fail. We create our smart-a$$, pretty, offensive, art, our babies! And then try to get people to buy them. "Starving artist" is a cliche, but it is based on fact. You do not often hear the term "starving accountant." I'm still not sure how to bridge the difference (for myself). If it were just money, I could go back to the day job and get 401k matching and healthcare, as well as a lot more money.

Old July 26th, 2018 Jul 26, 2018 5:16:52 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
In another thread, Tabob said that advertising success, in part, requires, "knowing what to sell."
That's what I said here too... "market research and strategy".
Not an easy thing to do, and big companies are spending millions in market research (active and passive).

Also this:
Quote:
Outside of some on-platform advertising, it has been a bust for me
is because of this
Quote:
Having depth of product in the niche being targeted is why ads can work for larger companies while being a waste for smaller ones--there is just a lot more product to leverage the ad expense across that might click with the potential customer.
Within a marketplace, you provide the variety (AKA "depth of product") for others, and others are provide the variety for you. This also is why (in most cases) having a shop in a shopping center is more profitable than having a small isolated shop.

Advertising is not an easy thing to do, and this is why advice people to start with Ebay, Amazon, and Etsy. If you cannot sell there, you have no chance doing it on your own either.
NoXid likes this.

Old July 27th, 2018 Jul 27, 2018 11:59:58 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Google ads, as well as Facebook ads both, have their own values and it depends on the business which will be better. If you are in E-commerce service it will be better if you do both facebook ads as well as google ads While you are having any business other than E-commerce it prefers Google ads.

Old August 19th, 2018 Aug 19, 2018 11:22:50 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

If you have created some awesome graphic, then, go to Facebook ads to display them.

Old August 20th, 2018 Aug 20, 2018 5:45:07 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jennifer
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I read a thread on a webmaster forum a couple of days ago and they believe that a lot of small and medium business owners are using Facebook ads because they just can’t compete with larger companies for Google adwords. They were saying that a lot of new businesses don’t even think they need a web site and instead plan to do all their online marketing on social platforms. Of course they (webmasters) weren’t happy about this because this is one of the reasons why they’ve lost clients. Business evolves in cycles...

Old August 21st, 2018 Aug 21, 2018 1:03:31 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunEmbroidery
I read a thread on a webmaster forum a couple of days ago and they believe that a lot of small and medium business owners are using Facebook ads because they just can’t compete with larger companies for Google adwords. They were saying that a lot of new businesses don’t even think they need a web site and instead plan to do all their online marketing on social platforms. Of course they (webmasters) weren’t happy about this because this is one of the reasons why they’ve lost clients. Business evolves in cycles...
People are using advertising on social platforms wrong. Rather than just selling stuff on facebook or whatever, they should be using it to promote their own online store, or integrate their store with facebook. If successful, they may not need facebook after a while.

Old August 21st, 2018 Aug 21, 2018 6:53:36 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunEmbroidery
Surely these "new businesses" need to have an online shop to be able to sell. How they advertise is a totally different issue. Obviously the reason webmasters lose business, is not related to advertising, and does not belong in this thread.

As I have already explained with examples above, Facebook ads and google adwords are totally different types of advertising. Facebook ads cannot do what Adwords do and vice versa. There is of course a third type of advertising, the "display advertising" offered by the various display networks... but that's probably way too complicated for the average Joe.

This is a discussion about Google ads vs. facebook? that was posted in the T-Shirt Marketing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in