what is a good commission to pay a local sales person marketing printing services? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Marketing

T-Shirt Marketing Category Sponsor

Discuss the fun task of marketing a t-shirt shop. Where to advertise, local marketing tips, word of mouth, press releases, search engine marketing, keyword advertising, magazines, etc.

what is a good commission to pay a local sales person marketing printing services?

Like Tree6Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 26th, 2008 Oct 26, 2008 6:47:25 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Xtreme Inkz

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Default what is a good commission to pay a local sales person marketing printing services?

How much to pay someone to market your t-shirt sales. My nitch is schools

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2008 Oct 26, 2008 10:53:19 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tim
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Marketing T-Shirts

What type of marketing? What type of schools? College? Is this person just doing online marketing or are they going to the school? Are they getting you into school handouts? Tons of stuff to think about.

Old October 27th, 2008 Oct 27, 2008 4:42:11 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Xtreme Inkz

Well what he does is contact the The ISD and gets a list of everything possible as far as coaches and events that might be going on and then we show them what we can do witch is above what veryone else does and then if it is a 1000 shirt order are a 50 shirt order we have then done by the next day. We just need to let people know that we can get the job done before time and great work. we don't give anything away free to anyone. maybe the Head coach a polo are something are his shirt free.

Old October 27th, 2008 Oct 27, 2008 4:47:49 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tim
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

That doesnt sound bad. I personaly have no idea how much that would cost.. What I would do, if he is willing, is do somthing comission based? That way if you get no sales, he get no money. But if it blows up, it will be well worth both your time.

Old October 27th, 2008 Oct 27, 2008 5:13:18 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Xtreme Inkz

That was my first question: Sorry that you mist what i ask.
Thanks

Old October 28th, 2008 Oct 28, 2008 7:30:44 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

A commission sounds like the way to go.

Old October 28th, 2008 Oct 28, 2008 7:50:11 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Xtreme Inkz

My Question was? How much to pay someone commission? say if they went out and got a job to do and it was only 100 shirts. or they went out and got 2000 shirts.

Old October 28th, 2008 Oct 28, 2008 12:12:02 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Kristine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

You could always set a sliding scale so the bigger orders bring a bigger commission.

The Following User Says Thank You to EnMartian For This Useful Post:
Xtreme Inkz (October 28th, 2008)
Old October 28th, 2008 Oct 28, 2008 11:30:42 PM -   #9 (permalink)
ino
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: ino

Default Re: what is a good commission to pay a local sales person marketing printing services?

I would give a percentage as a commision. 10% on new orders and 5% on repeats that he could get in.

Old October 29th, 2008 Oct 29, 2008 5:06:46 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Default Re: what is a good commission to pay a local sales person marketing printing services?

10% is pretty normal. But, as the size of the order goes up, the commision % should go down. Repeats should stay the same, because that will be his bread & butter. Also, make sure you decide whether it is 10% of gross or net. Usually, net. Remember this, the less you give him, the more inclined he will be to rep someone else. Then, he will push whoever will pay the most. Just my .02.

Old October 29th, 2008 Oct 29, 2008 6:59:24 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Ron

Most of my life I worked strictly commission. Commissions should be based on your gross profit. I'm sure that if someone orders 100 shirts the gross profit will be less than a order for 50. So if your gross is high he/she should get a higher commission and visa versa. Start out at 15% with a sliding scale to 5%. Take in consideration also that you might have to pay employee taxes and for sure file a form 1099 for your sales people. Lots of things to consider and you want Happy Sales People.

Ron

Old October 29th, 2008 Oct 29, 2008 6:59:31 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

If this is a full time position, then something like 10% of gross up to a certain volume per month and 15% above that. If it is part time or your customers doing it, maybe 5-10% referral fee.

The Following User Says Thank You to THX1138 For This Useful Post:
Xtreme Inkz (October 29th, 2008)
Old October 29th, 2008 Oct 29, 2008 6:53:17 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Xtreme Inkz

Well this is the way we have be doing it. not for sure if it's right or wrong but he said i have a order of 300 hoodies. He wanted to know what i had to get to do them and i said 25.00 each. so he sold them the job at 30.00 each and he made 5.00 x 300 so he came out good and so did i. on shirts we do it the same way. i don't do contract printing al all. I'll let the big shops do that because we don't have cheap help. Thanks

Last edited by Xtreme Inkz; October 29th, 2008 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: hit the wrong key

Old October 29th, 2008 Oct 29, 2008 7:03:31 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Xtreme Inkz

My shop don't do contract printing at all. what he does he will ask me my price like doing 300 hoodies and i said 25.00 each and he added 5.00 to each one and that is what he made. on t-shirts he may make 2.00 a shirt. not for sure if this is the way to do it but it keeps him on the move because he knows that he can make some great money if he lands the right one. we try and and stay 1000 shirt orders and down. that seems to be the 6.00 to 10.00 range

Old March 3rd, 2014 Mar 3, 2014 8:32:19 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Steve

What would you guys expect from the sales rep? I'm in a situation where a guy had brought in a few jobs for me, but wants 10% commission now on the ones he brought in. Now, all he did was refer the companies to me. I handled the art approval, invoicing, production, and shipping.

How would you handle this situation?

This is a discussion about what is a good commission to pay a local sales person marketing printing services? that was posted in the T-Shirt Marketing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in