T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Marketing

T-Shirt Marketing Category Sponsor

Discuss the fun task of marketing a t-shirt shop. Where to advertise, local marketing tips, word of mouth, press releases, search engine marketing, keyword advertising, magazines, etc.

Website

Like Tree21Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 12th, 2014 Aug 12, 2014 10:16:28 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Teresa
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Website

Is a website really that important? I ask because the pics of shirts simply do not look very good on the website, yet look awesome in person.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2014 Aug 13, 2014 1:33:00 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Default Re: Website

It does if your doing an online shop, but if your just targeting your local area and have store maybe it is not needed if your brand is well known.
UDesign likes this.

Old August 20th, 2014 Aug 20, 2014 7:32:41 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

If your pictures don't look good, that's really what you need to work on. As far as business, people will be more comfortable with someone with a website. It just makes you seem more like a real business.

Old August 25th, 2014 Aug 25, 2014 7:38:58 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDesign
Is a website really that important? I ask because the pics of shirts simply do not look very good on the website, yet look awesome in person.
Hi Teresa,

You don't HAVE to have a website, but you do need a web address to put on business cards and flyers, etc to give the impression of having a "real business". Websites are pretty simple to get done, as long as you're not doing e-commerce you really just need a page with your contact info, what you do and a few images.

If you really don't want to go to that trouble, at least do a Google+ or Facebook page for your business.

I did this presentation some time ago about it. Maybe it will help: Marketing Your Custom T-Shirt Business - DTG Printer, Rhinestone Tees…

Old August 25th, 2014 Aug 25, 2014 8:05:28 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

For me, a website is mandatory. I created a new subsidiary business under my main business. Registered the website just 2 weeks ago. Had visitors hitting the site the next day, and started to get orders on day #2 and every day since.

Downside of having a website is that it needs upkeep and a constant stream of updates. I like to blog on my websites, 2-3 times per week per site, with photos and special offers and reminders.

Many of my competitors put up websites that look great, but then they forget about them. Visiting a website that hasn't been updated in a year is not good for business. With my sites, visitors landing on the page know we're in business, know we're updating things, and can see a glimpse of the style of work we do. Photos don't show quality, but lots and lots and lots of photos show sustaining business. If people see that others are using you, they'll trust you more.

The Following User Says Thank You to treefox2118 For This Useful Post:
customapparelpro (October 30th, 2014)
Old September 13th, 2014 Sep 13, 2014 11:47:29 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Owen

I think it's really important! Borrow an awesome camera and take some great shots - it pays not to scrimp on visuals
UDesign likes this.

Old October 28th, 2014 Oct 28, 2014 7:15:16 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Yes, having a website is extremely important. Focus on getting higher quality pictures and keeping the website instead of ditching the website altogether. I can honestly say that if I come across a business that doesn't have a website (whatever the industry may be), that is typically a red flag to me.
UDesign likes this.

Old October 28th, 2014 Oct 28, 2014 7:23:07 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Thomas

I must ask a question that I haven't seen people mention before.

Do you take pictures of your t-shirts on a no head, no sleeve mannequin?

In my opinion, a mannequin is a must. It shows what the garment will look like when the customer is wearing.

Pictures that have a t-shirt on a hanger or on the floor will 100% not drive any sales.

Look into it mate.
UDesign likes this.

Old October 30th, 2014 Oct 30, 2014 8:14:18 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Creative Pile

Cool Re: Website

Yes! Websites are very important! Your website is the new Storefront. You can't have a sign on your shop and not fill up the store with merchandise right?

As for the Photos, There's just something special about walking up to a store and grabbing a shirt. you get to feel the product and try it on. Thats why online shops need great pictures! I have done product photography and know its all in the lighting. Either flat shirts or shirts on models, Lighting is key.

I would stay away from using mannequins to show your shirts. The mannequins can give you an idea what it might look on, But the fake body and plastic kill the feel of the shirts.
UDesign likes this.

Old October 30th, 2014 Oct 30, 2014 11:36:03 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Pile
I would stay away from using mannequins to show your shirts. The mannequins can give you an idea what it might look on, But the fake body and plastic kill the feel of the shirts.
I disagree, if you have an online shop then it is best to have a realistic view of what the shirt will look like when worn.

I have a background in web design/development (freelance), with a specialty in e-commerce.
UDesign likes this.

Old October 31st, 2014 Oct 31, 2014 1:51:25 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

What is your goal; to sell shirts or sell your brand?

Old October 31st, 2014 Oct 31, 2014 6:15:55 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thats why I suggest using a real person. A model. Call all your friends and have them model for you. If you can't get your friends to model, at least don't use a mannequin without arms... the shirts look weird handing off the shoulders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMan
I disagree, if you have an online shop then it is best to have a realistic view of what the shirt will look like when worn.

I have a background in web design/development (freelance), with a specialty in e-commerce.
MetroMan likes this.

Old October 31st, 2014 Oct 31, 2014 8:02:01 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Daniel

I would say it depends a lot on the size and scope of your business. I'm the graphic designer for a local T-Shirt shop, and all we use is Facebook. The vast majority of our business is walk-in, but Facebook brings in a lot of customers.

Old October 31st, 2014 Oct 31, 2014 8:07:16 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I definitely agree! Walk-In traffic is the best!!! Having a shop with walk-ins can bring in lots a business if its a high traffic area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQCPSpecialTs
I would say it depends a lot on the size and scope of your business. I'm the graphic designer for a local T-Shirt shop, and all we use is Facebook. The vast majority of our business is walk-in, but Facebook brings in a lot of customers.

Old October 31st, 2014 Oct 31, 2014 12:26:51 PM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Well, looks like your site isn't up at the moment, so I can't say for sure what your images look like.

In general, the templates people commonly use have a puny little photo of each shirt that you then have to click through to eventually get to a photo that is large enough to see well. Skip the puny photos and have photos that allow you to really see the designs right on the first page.

Sounds like your business is about making custom shirts for customers (as opposed to selling your own designs), so I guess you would have examples of past work for customers?

A few shots of real shirts on real people are a good idea and really liven up a T-shirt page. Lighting is a key to good photos. If you lack the tools/skills to take good photos, hire a pro. Same goes for models, if you lack access to sufficiently "pretty" people to pose in your goods.

This is a discussion about Website that was posted in the T-Shirt Marketing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in