T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services

T-Shirt Marketing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various t-shirt fulfillment services in this general fulfillment forum. Newer companies like RedBubble, etc can be discussed in this main forum.

Companies that have been around 2+ years (CafePress.com, Zazzle.com, Spreadshirt.com, PrintMojo.com, PrintFection, etc), may have their own separate subforums below (as demand permits).

POD vs Dropping vs DIY

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By splathead

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 30th, 2019 Jul 30, 2019 1:12:02 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default POD vs Dropping vs DIY

I’m nearing the production stage of my journey to start my own t shirt brand and am stuck as to how to proceed fulfilling possible orders. While Print on demand and drop shipping eliminate some risk, online research make it seem as if I have no say in the quality of the finished product if I choose either one. Is there a way to oversee what these fulfillment centers are sending customers after the initial sample (like if they were local for example?)

Also, I saw the idea of testing ideas using POD and bulk-printing based on whatever reaction you get. Is this advisable? Does it what down a new brand or chum the waters for copycats before I can achieve some name recognition?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2019 Jul 30, 2019 1:16:18 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I meant *water down by the way

Old July 30th, 2019 Jul 30, 2019 7:17:50 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Default Re: POD vs Dropping vs DIY

It's forbidden to say bad things about specific services on here, but I can attest that I've found the quality of at least one print on demand fulfillment service to be downright terrible. I ordered a t-shirt and a sweatshirt during the sample phase. The sweatshirt printing "abraded" to dust in places within a few washings and the t-shirt print was just okay in terms of appearance. Not what I considered in the realm of acceptable quality, so I stopped using them.

Old July 31st, 2019 Jul 31, 2019 1:40:40 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for the response. I keep seeing conflicting opinions. Should I just go balls to the wall and complete packaging and shipping myself?

Old August 2nd, 2019 Aug 2, 2019 8:28:15 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Gene

You are basically at the mercy of the POD company. Some will send pictures of the finished product until you make a final determination. Your feedback will give you an indication as to the customers satisfaction. However, it could be too late by then. If you want total control, you are right. Bite the bullet and learn the process. Otherwise contract and hope until you find the sweet spot.

Old August 4th, 2019 Aug 4, 2019 4:04:57 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOStansbury
It's forbidden to say bad things about specific services on here.
Not true. Unbiased opinions of products and services are always welcomed here.

I encourage you to create a post and give us your review, including the name of the specific service, of your experiences.

Often times other members will have counter-arguments which may or may not lead you down a different path or a different procedure.
brianrayj likes this.

Old August 26th, 2019 Aug 26, 2019 6:51:55 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Rich

I do not recommend POD services. I fill smaller orders myself (up to 50) with a heat press application. Over 50 shirt orders I source out to my local screen printer. I recommend building a relationship with a local printer for your orders. I get to inspect a sample on every one of my orders. Once approved, it goes into production. I still make a nice profit without the work. Every business plan is different, a local screen printer fits right into my business plan and has been extremely beneficial.

Old August 27th, 2019 Aug 27, 2019 2:56:34 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Gene

As with all things in life, one's opinions are colored by their experiences. It is possible to find good POD services, not all services are equal. Find a service that will stand 100% behind their product. That means customer complaints will always be attended to and every effort will be made to alleviate problems and complaints,thus protecting the integrity of your product. Look for POD services and ask specific questions. If you can not get clear answers, stay away. There are many people making good profit using reliable POD services.
Buying the equipment to do it all yourself, will be very expensive and the learning curve is quite high and long, although, in the long run, can be more profitable.
The main factor is: How much do you have to invest to see if you have a viable product and can reach the right clientele.

This is a discussion about POD vs Dropping vs DIY that was posted in the T-Shirt Fulfillment Services section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in