[HEAT PRESS] - 5 Tips: How to select which heat press to buy? - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[HEAT PRESS] - 5 Tips: How to select which heat press to buy?

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 6:31:23 AM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Annushka
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 5 Tips: How to select which heat press to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinge
I don't have many ideas for what the noise would be. A random thought is that it might be a broken timer deal meant to go off after pressing for X seconds (and it's set to 0 seconds or something).

Have you tried asking the person you bought it from? Maybe they know what was going wrong with it. I certainly don't think the noises you mention are normal by any means, but wheter they are actually harmful to more than your eardrums is hard to say for sure.
Twinge, the timer suggestion makes sense. It's funny because it'll be quite as long as it's open, but once you shut it and it's already above certain degree it just goes beeeeep. But, I came up with a solution last night - I set the press to a few degress higher than what I want for the application. Once it's at that heat I turn it off, and then start pressing as it cools down - silencia This would probably drive me up the wall if I were to do a bunch of shirts at once (turn it on then off and again) but it's working for now.

The person who sold it to me was not the actual owner and didn't know much about presses. I am also thinking about calling the Knight corp. (they are local for me) and see maybe it's worth taking a look at and fixing it if it's not a big deal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 7:34:43 AM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscory
How quick is quick? How long does it take to get that press to, say, 400 degrees? Thanks! Cory
Hi Cory, I assume the question is for me. It takes about 3-5 mins to get about 300 and then a minute or two to get to 400. So like I'd say approx. 6.

I don't have anything to compare it to, but to me that's pretty quick, and I hope it's a good time compared to other presses ppl have.

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 7:46:27 AM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoskinGraphix
If you are having problems opening the upper platen then you are applying too much pressure and you need to reduce it with the knob.

Sonds like the noise is exactly what Twinge mentioned...check your timer settings.
I'll try that Dave. See the thing that makes it really difficult, aside from the fact that it's just a little heavy, not too bad but still, is that as I try to open it the bottom starts coming up with it, so I actually have to hold down the bottom platen with my foot in order to open the press (it's on the floor).

And one more thing - the press doesn't have a locking feature (I've seen that some of the models click and sort of lock when u close it, then unlock when the time is up), so when I close it I naturally try to press it down as much as I can to make sure it's tight. Well the press doesn't have any support/stand at the front part, so I have to be carefull because if I press it down too much, then it tilts forwards. Am I supposed to buy some type of additional stand unit for the front?

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 9:08:02 AM -   #34 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annushka
I'll try that Dave. See the thing that makes it really difficult, aside from the fact that it's just a little heavy, not too bad but still, is that as I try to open it the bottom starts coming up with it, so I actually have to hold down the bottom platen with my foot in order to open the press (it's on the floor).

And one more thing - the press doesn't have a locking feature (I've seen that some of the models click and sort of lock when u close it, then unlock when the time is up), so when I close it I naturally try to press it down as much as I can to make sure it's tight. Well the press doesn't have any support/stand at the front part, so I have to be carefull because if I press it down too much, then it tilts forwards. Am I supposed to buy some type of additional stand unit for the front?
Could you post a pic of your press? I have the 15x15 Stahls press and it came on a sheet of plywood probably for shipping reasons. I never removed the plywood base as it is nice to hold down when opening the press.

Your handle should lock down on its own when you press it down. How would you create pressure if it didnt lock down. What would be the point of a pressure knob?

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 11:02:54 AM -   #35 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: cory

Quote:
Hi Cory, I assume the question is for me. It takes about 3-5 mins to get about 300 and then a minute or two to get to 400. So like I'd say approx. 6.

I don't have anything to compare it to, but to me that's pretty quick, and I hope it's a good time compared to other presses ppl have.
Yes, thank you Annushka. I just bought a used K20s as well! I think mine took longer to heat up. I can't test it here until I move some furniture. Are you using a dedicated electrical source? Cory

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 11:58:02 AM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Yes, thank you Annushka. I just bought a used K20s as well! I think mine took longer to heat up. I can't test it here until I move some furniture. Are you using a dedicated electrical source? Cory
Congrats on your new press I just use the nearest outlet in the room where the press is set up. I hope this answers the question, I'm not 100% sure what u meant by designated

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 12:56:21 PM -   #37 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:

That is pretty fast. My old Insta 16x20 takes 20-30 minutes to heat up to 400.

Quote:

As Motoskin eluded to, you should not need to hold down the lever while pressing. If you are needing to (e.g., it pops back up when you press it down), then you have way too much pressure; adjust the pressure setting to be lower.

Calling up the press manufacturer like you mentioned is a good idea, they might have some ideas. I know Geo Knights are somewhat infamous for having electrical problems, but I haven't heard of a problem like this before.

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 5:08:14 PM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

David here it is.
Twinge u were so right! It does lock down, I had the pressure crancked up all the way down. I loosened it up a little and there it was. That also took care of the leaning forwards problem.

But I think having that plywood support would probably still be nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tee 003.jpg (20.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg tee 004.jpg (32.4 KB, 132 views)

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 5:18:24 PM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinge
That is pretty fast. My old Insta 16x20 takes 20-30 minutes to heat up to 400.

Calling up the press manufacturer like you mentioned is a good idea, they might have some ideas. I know Geo Knights are somewhat infamous for having electrical problems, but I haven't heard of a problem like this before.
Twinge, sorry, I should have checked better before posting - it's about 15 minutes to get to 325. I just clocked it.

And I just solved the problem with the noise for good. I turned the timer knob off/to zero - and there is no more noise. I'm really happy with the machine. I was just playing with the temp. knob and that thing is so precise it's really impressive. I had very low expectations for this unit in general and it looks like it's in really good shape.

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 6:23:37 PM -   #40 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Congrats on your new press I just use the nearest outlet in the room where the press is set up. I hope this answers the question, I'm not 100% sure what u meant by designated
Well, I think the DK20s pulls 15 amps-about right for most home outlets. But most home outlets are shared, so if you run your press with other appliances, you might overload your breaker. At least that is my understanding of the dedicated electrical issue. Cory

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 7:30:07 PM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Well, I think the DK20s pulls 15 amps-about right for most home outlets. But most home outlets are shared, so if you run your press with other appliances, you might overload your breaker. At least that is my understanding of the dedicated electrical issue. Cory
amps...breaker...guy talk ...i don't understand lol. I'm sure you are right. I was very careful the first time I plugged it in i was afraid i would blow a fuse. now i just make sure i don't have anything turned on that i don't need. so far i have had it on with a tv and my pc and no problems. must note that i haven't run the press for more than an hour yet. do u think the amount of time it's on make a difference?

Old January 24th, 2007 Jan 24, 2007 5:19:48 AM -   #42 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
amps...breaker...guy talk ...i don't understand lol. I'm sure you are right. I was very careful the first time I plugged it in i was afraid i would blow a fuse. now i just make sure i don't have anything turned on that i don't need. so far i have had it on with a tv and my pc and no problems. must note that i haven't run the press for more than an hour yet. do u think the amount of time it's on make a difference?
Hi Annushka, I'll do some research and get back to you. Corinne (Cory)

Old January 24th, 2007 Jan 24, 2007 6:02:26 AM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You are a girl, right?! I'm so sorry. And thanks for looking the subject up

Old January 24th, 2007 Jan 24, 2007 6:52:56 AM -   #44 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Thanked 1,217 Times in 989 Posts

Quote:
You should run this on a dedicated circuit. We installed 2 20amp circuits just for heat presses and air compressors.

Old January 24th, 2007 Jan 24, 2007 9:05:52 AM -   #45 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Twinge, ...

And I just solved the problem with the noise for good. I turned the timer knob off/to zero - and there is no more noise. I'm really happy with the machine.

Cheers, glad you figured it out. Kind of surprised my guess about the timer actually ended up being right, honestly

Quote:
amps...breaker...guy talk ...i don't understand lol.
[...]
do u think the amount of time it's on make a difference?

A breaker is basically just a fuse that you can reset. Instead of actually destroying a fuse in the process, it simply "trips" the breaker, which can then be reset to work again.

Amperage (amps) is another part of electricity, related to the more well known Voltage (volts). While volts is sort of how powerful it is, amperage is basically how much there is. There's probably better explanations out there, but that should give you some idea.

Usually when a circuit is going to blow, it will happen right away when a new device is added; e.g. turning on a vaccuum cleaner in a populated circuit my shut it down. If it's already been running a while and nothing new is added it probably won't suddenly blow a fuse or trip a breaker suddenly (though it is possible I imagine).

This is a discussion about 5 Tips: How to select which heat press to buy? that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in