[PREFACE] - So I decided to give this heat press thing a try - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[PREFACE] - So I decided to give this heat press thing a try

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 20th, 2006 Dec 20, 2006 7:16:22 PM -   #16 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Lucy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: So I decided to give this heat press thing a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexWhat!
I just bought a brand new Pheonix Phire 16x20 press. Definately trying not to get frustrated...doing ANYTHING for the first time is always tough...

the first time I saw one of those big presses in front of me I was scared of it. ....not for long though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2006 Dec 20, 2006 9:27:14 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jim

Thumbs up Re: So I decided to give this heat press thing a try

Outstanding Rodney! As I 'm also looking into other options to my screenprinting biz to give me more flexibility (love the idea to be able to print 1-2 shirts!).

Yet, I still need to learn more before jumping in so your experiences will be helpful. Going to go to ISS Long Beach to check it all out - maybe I'll see you there?

Jim

Old December 20th, 2006 Dec 20, 2006 11:44:06 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Castleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydlbug
I buy all my heat presses used. I bought a 16 x 20 black max off some guy over the weekend in perfect condition. He listed it at 200 bucks , I bought it for 150. I love getting deals on things that I can use in my shop.
That sounds like a good deal.

I think I will keep my eye out for a used one myself.

Old December 21st, 2006 Dec 21, 2006 11:54:30 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,021 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Going to go to ISS Long Beach to check it all out - maybe I'll see you there?
I'll be there Jim, hopefully we'll catch each other. I think Lou's going to, so maybe we can all hook up and eat some lunch or something.

Old December 21st, 2006 Dec 21, 2006 5:35:17 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Cool Re: So I decided to give this heat press thing a try

Great, I'll keep and eye out for you both. Lou should be easy to spot, him being a film star and all. I'll be the wide eyed newbie walking about!

Seriously, If you'd like to meet up, that'd be great. Send me a PM with time & place... maybe Imprintables Warehouse booth or what not. I'm either leaving Thur night or Friday morning. Can't decide whether to drive or fly down.

Jim

Old December 21st, 2006 Dec 21, 2006 9:28:35 PM -   #21 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulltshirts
My first tip... dont forget to peel the back of the paper off the transfer before heat pressing!! Seems to be a common sense thing but you would be surprised how many of us have done it several times.

Hmm? I guess you mean when using opaque papers? Have to specify; a lot of folks don't even use opaques at all =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Style
Is there a company that makes these thats considereed to be more reliable or just flat out better than the rest? Would love to know before i make such a purchase.

Not really. You should be fine with most any major company; just avoid those cheapo eBay presses made of wood and whatnot. If I had to pick one company known for excellence it would be Hix, but as I said several other brands will last for a long, long time as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Stay tuned But suffice to say, I like to "go big" when I get into stuff.

*imagines Rodney with some 50"x50" press laughing maniacly next to it like an evil overlord*

Old December 22nd, 2006 Dec 22, 2006 6:46:46 AM -   #22 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

and wearing gloves because he doesnt want to lose those knuckle hairs!

Old December 22nd, 2006 Dec 22, 2006 6:55:30 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Stay tuned But suffice to say, I like to "go big" when I get into stuff.
16"x20", 24"x24", 60"x80"? Just how big is big?

Old December 23rd, 2006 Dec 23, 2006 5:25:10 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulbrew

Does anybody know why sometime baking paper sheets are used to
cover the transfer during the heat-pressing?

I take it your refering to the Teflon™ non stick sheets?

if so, to stop it sticking ...i think im still new at this too,but im pretty sure

Old December 23rd, 2006 Dec 23, 2006 7:53:55 AM -   #25 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

badalou's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirt-maker
Great, I'll keep and eye out for you both. Lou should be easy to spot, him being a film star and all. I'll be the wide eyed newbie walking about!

Seriously, If you'd like to meet up, that'd be great. Send me a PM with time & place... maybe Imprintables Warehouse booth or what not. I'm either leaving Thur night or Friday morning. Can't decide whether to drive or fly down.

Jim
Film star!! more like direct to video... I am driving down from Stockton and leaving at 3 AM Friday morning. so I can have breakfast at my old job with my assistant who took my place (VA Medical Wilshire & 405)
I am making reservations today for poor mans motel Super 8 in Long Beach. Anyonewho wants to catch up with me and you don't catch me on floor I think we should try the imprintables booth 12 ish. I will be wearing my black long sleeve tee and a black baseball hat.(It helps me look slimmer and hides the bald head.) Jim You driving down alone. I am.. Welcome to hitch a ride. Anyone else in area. I think Rodney is flying? I am driving back Sunday.

Old December 23rd, 2006 Dec 23, 2006 10:46:29 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Super, let's plan to meet at the Imprintables booth at noon on Friday.

Thanks for your offer to hitch a ride. Can't decide whether to drive or fly - thinking I would drive down. Kind of depends on my work load at the time. Trying to convince a friend of mine to come too. I'll check with you later once I get my plan together.

Also any chance one could pick up one the demo models at the show for a good price? That would certainly make the long drive worth it!

Old December 24th, 2006 Dec 24, 2006 4:25:06 AM -   #27 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

badalou's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lou

Quote:
Also any chance one could pick up one the demo models at the show for a good price? That would certainly make the long drive worth it!
I have never been to any trade show befoore that did not offer show discounts. Also remember Coastal Business is giving discounts to members of the forum.

Old December 24th, 2006 Dec 24, 2006 10:26:01 AM -   #28 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
After reading this forum for over a year, and seeing what heat transfers can do, I've decided to jump in and experience the heat press/heat transfer world first hand.
yeah well, it has not been easy on this board ME making people aware what can be done with plastisol transfers and how easy they are to apply.

Actually i found myself discouraged with some of the BAD rep replies I have received. But i continue to beleive that once peeps try the real good stuff they will never look back. Yourself included Rodney.

I wish you the best in your new venture.

Old February 18th, 2007 Feb 18, 2007 7:19:57 PM -   #29 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Althea

Lucy,

Do tell more about the plastisol transfers. I just heard about them at the Long Beach show. I'm a small-time t-shirt designer that's been taking my business to the local screenprinter for the past year and half. Looking for an economical (and feasible) way to print 3-5 shirts at a time, if need be. Can you or anyone else in this thread tell me a little about the plastisol transfer process? Do you need a big industrial heat press to use it? OR one of the machines referenced in this discussion? What's the average upfront fee to set up the design and run batch of transfers?

All ears,
Althea

Old February 18th, 2007 Feb 18, 2007 7:50:31 PM -   #30 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshirtqueen
Lucy,

Do tell more about the plastisol transfers. I just heard about them at the Long Beach show. I'm a small-time t-shirt designer that's been taking my business to the local screenprinter for the past year and half. Looking for an economical (and feasible) way to print 3-5 shirts at a time, if need be. Can you or anyone else in this thread tell me a little about the plastisol transfer process? Do you need a big industrial heat press to use it? OR one of the machines referenced in this discussion? What's the average upfront fee to set up the design and run batch of transfers?

All ears,
Althea
Hi Althea,

btw. one of my dear, long time friends name is Althea too.

Well, all you really need is a good heat press machine. It takes up a few square feet of space only and plugs in to your wall outlet (make sure you have at least a 20 amp wall plug).

Then, a good economical way of making custom transfers (they are the same quality as screen printing) is to do up a few of your designs that use the same colors and gang them up on a transfer sheet. Sheet size are like: 10x12, 12x14, 12x18, 25x38, 28x40. So the more designs you can fit on a sheet the lower the cost per design will be.

The larger the sheet size and the number of colors per sheet the more expensive it gets. So, it's a good idea to start with 1-2-3 color designs if you can. You can always grow from there.

That's it, from there you print your design transfers on shirts, panties etc... as you need and the quality is amaizing.

You can also buy ready made transfer designs and use them to create your own stuff too.

Any other questions just ask/post.

This is a discussion about So I decided to give this heat press thing a try that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in