[ADVICE] - Trouble shooting HTV longterm adhesion - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[ADVICE] - Trouble shooting HTV longterm adhesion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Amw
  • 1 Post By Amw
  • 1 Post By mfatty500

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 22nd, 2018 Jan 22, 2018 9:41:02 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Trouble shooting HTV longterm adhesion

New to HTV, I have a GeoKnight Heatpress & Graphtech Plotter.

I've been using mostly Siser Easy Weed on cotton garments.

I've done a few items and sent them with clients (understanding and helpful clients who can provide feedback) and they have said that parts of the HTV is separating from the garment even before washing...

Is there a thing as too much pressure with HTV?
Or too much heat/dwell time when pressing?
I'm following the directions for the HTV but something still is a miss.

Looking for some educated advice to ensure HTV longevity & complete adhesion on garments etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2018 Jan 22, 2018 10:22:07 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Just friendly & helpful

Default Re: Trouble shooting HTV longterm adhesion

Usually not enough pressure or heat can cause this .Where did you get the pressure etc specs from?

Click the link i shared for specs sheet.

Also your heat press could be off on temp as well. I use a hotronix fusion 16x20 and used a Temp gun and temp pads to make sure mine wasnt off when i first got it new, it was off by 15 degress.

Old January 22nd, 2018 Jan 22, 2018 10:40:53 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I used the Siser specs,
but will also take a temp gun to press, so what I'm looking for is the bottom platen and top to match 305F right?
If they don't how can I calibrate the heat to be more accurate?

thanks for that spec sheet too!

Old January 22nd, 2018 Jan 22, 2018 11:35:43 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Just friendly & helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtSpecialties
I used the Siser specs,
but will also take a temp gun to press, so what I'm looking for is the bottom platen and top to match 305F right?
If they don't how can I calibrate the heat to be more accurate?

thanks for that spec sheet too!

I dont know what press you have,but mine only heats on the top. So i put my press at lets say 300* and swing it out so i can lay on the floor under it . I take the temp gun and hit a few areas all over the platen to see what my temp is. If its lower or higher i can adjust it manually with in my digital display in user settings area on my press. But thats for my heatpress Hotronix Fusion.

Old January 22nd, 2018 Jan 22, 2018 12:14:02 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Amw
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Marsha & Tony
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
New to HTV, I have a GeoKnight Heatpress & Graphtech Plotter.

I've been using mostly Siser Easy Weed on cotton garments.

I've done a few items and sent them with clients (understanding and helpful clients who can provide feedback) and they have said that parts of the HTV is separating from the garment even before washing...

Is there a thing as too much pressure with HTV?
Or too much heat/dwell time when pressing?
I'm following the directions for the HTV but something still is a miss.

Looking for some educated advice to ensure HTV longevity & complete adhesion on garments etc.
Do you have a top and bottom heat press?
Assuming you dont, as it is much more expensive and not very common currently. You do NOT need to have the bottom platen heated to the same temp as the top.
There is a such thing as too much pressure, but unless your standing on the handle to get it to close...you are probably OK.

For testing temperatures of your platen(s) this is what you should use. The little temp guns you shot at the platen are not anywhere near accurate as this. http://www.heatpress.net/pdf/DK%20Py...0RPK%20Kit.pdf

For siser htv check the specks at EasyWeed® | Siser North America and be sure you are using the correct time, temp, and pressure.

Also dont forget to pre press the shirt...in our testing this does make a difference in the durability. Some shirts have been treated with chemicals to resist stains, etc. So be sure your using shirts intended to be decorated.

Which geo knight press do you have?
(I can offer some tips for it)
into the T likes this.

Last edited by Amw; January 22nd, 2018 at 01:15 PM..

Old January 22nd, 2018 Jan 22, 2018 12:33:55 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I have the DK 20S
I did just chat with tech over at GeoKnight and have some info on heat calibrating that I'll do.
But any info/advice on the DK20s would be much appreciated.
I have a feeling it might be pressure related, and the pressure readout seems vaguely accurate at best, but this is a very new machine and process for me so any help is helpful!

Old January 22nd, 2018 Jan 22, 2018 1:40:42 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Amw
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Marsha & Tony
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
I have the DK 20S
I did just chat with tech over at GeoKnight and have some info on heat calibrating that I'll do.
But any info/advice on the DK20s would be much appreciated.
I have a feeling it might be pressure related, and the pressure readout seems vaguely accurate at best, but this is a very new machine and process for me so any help is helpful!
That is a great press, and great company to work with.

It will take some time but you want to learn to know what the pressure is based on how it feels. The pressure gauge is not the best, they end up being off and eventually not working correctly. We ignore the read out on the ones that still have it. I am probably one of geo knights biggest fans and I will say that is the 1 thing that is not the best on the press...but that is the only thing. You can replace it but we dont find a need to. They are built like tanks in every other way.

For that press I would expect you to use 2 hands to close it but not having to "throw your weight into it" to close it all the way. You should hear a "ka thunk" sound when its closed. The gauge will help when your learning. We teach new employees on them to just go by feel and they usually have it down pat in 1 to 2 shifts.

This is a maintenance video...for the most part the lube is the only thing you really need to worry about... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn23u9QlzOg

If I think of anything else I will add it later.
If you ever have any specific questions let me know and I will do my best to help you out.
ck65 likes this.

Old January 22nd, 2018 Jan 22, 2018 2:47:34 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: mike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

First off, where did you buy the shirts?

Old May 12th, 2018 May 12, 2018 10:07:24 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amw
That is a great press, and great company to work with.

It will take some time but you want to learn to know what the pressure is based on how it feels. The pressure gauge is not the best, they end up being off and eventually not working correctly. We ignore the read out on the ones that still have it. I am probably one of geo knights biggest fans and I will say that is the 1 thing that is not the best on the press...but that is the only thing. You can replace it but we dont find a need to. They are built like tanks in every other way.

For that press I would expect you to use 2 hands to close it but not having to "throw your weight into it" to close it all the way. You should hear a "ka thunk" sound when its closed. The gauge will help when your learning. We teach new employees on them to just go by feel and they usually have it down pat in 1 to 2 shifts.

This is a maintenance video...for the most part the lube is the only thing you really need to worry about... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn23u9QlzOg

If I think of anything else I will add it later.
If you ever have any specific questions let me know and I will do my best to help you out.
Just the info I was looking for. I have been avoiding using my DC16 because of the huge amount of effort it took to close to get the pressure bar graph anywhere near the 4-6 for medium pressure as per the manual. I was starting to wonder about the accuracy since the readings also vary quite a bit.

This is a discussion about Trouble shooting HTV longterm adhesion that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in