[ADVICE] - Print your own heat transfers - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[ADVICE] - Print your own heat transfers

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Lnfortun
  • 1 Post By sublial

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 8th, 2017 Jan 8, 2017 7:07:38 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Howard
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Print your own heat transfers

Currently doing vinyl transfers on T-shirts. Want to print my own transfers using Laser or inkjet. Best printer and paper?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2017 Jan 8, 2017 8:16:22 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ed
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,105 Posts

Default Re: Print your own heat transfers

Howard. I would recommend an Epson inkjet printer. I am sure that forum members will suggest a model. For paper, JetPro for lights and 3G Opaque for darks is the most popular.

Old January 8th, 2017 Jan 8, 2017 10:25:43 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Anthony

I'm going to expand on Ed's comment, suggesting it be a pigment ink printer, be capable of doing borderless prints, and handle 11x17 paper. You can cut 11x17 paper down to letter size, but for a full chest or back image on an adult size shirt, letter size is too small. I just replaced my WF 7520 with a WF 7610.

Old January 8th, 2017 Jan 8, 2017 11:22:28 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Howard

Anthony thanks. Your results with quality and longevity, number of washes etc compared to screen printing. Average cost per t shirt for ink. Also see Epson has a 7620. Do not see the difference. Thanks again

Old January 8th, 2017 Jan 8, 2017 11:54:47 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Anthony

I don't screen print, so I can't make that analogy. I'm also far less experienced than others around here, so keep that in mind when evaluating my advice. Longevity after washing Jet Pro SS on white shirts has been excellent. A year and dozens of washes and they look the same as when first done. I'm less satisfied with the 3g,but I'm not sure how much of that is user. I haven't done as many and haven't tested variables.
The WF-7620 has a second paper tray; that's the only difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyF For This Useful Post:
vlgraphix (January 8th, 2017)
Old September 6th, 2017 Sep 6, 2017 11:15:42 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by proworlded
Howard. I would recommend an Epson inkjet printer. I am sure that forum members will suggest a model. For paper, JetPro for lights and 3G Opaque for darks is the most popular.
What about the EasyJet for Darks - Inkjet Heat Transfer Paper? It reads like it might have a little lighter feel.

Old September 9th, 2017 Sep 9, 2017 10:54:58 PM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,129 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlgraphix
Currently doing vinyl transfers on T-shirts. Want to print my own transfers using Laser or inkjet. Best printer and paper?
Since you are doing vinyl Siser has Ecosolvent printable products. One is for light and the others are opaque for dark. They have to be contour cut like vinyl to weed out the excess. As you know vinyl is durable. It is something you might look into. I don't own Ecosolvent printer but I thought I would mention it.

Siser Crystal is for light and has matte finish. Colorprint series are opaque for dark. Request for sample.

Visit http://www.siser.com/digital-printing/crystal/. Read about it and watch video.

http://www.siser.com/digital-printing/colorprint/

There is no self weeding inkjet heat transfer for light or dark. JPSS is for light that has minimal polymer window but it will show on pastel. Inkjet opaque for dark transfer needs to be contour cut and not as durable as vinyl.

There is sublimation inkjet which has no polymer window, vibrant, soft and permanent but only works for light color and high polyester content fabric. Unless you use contour cut polyester or flock opaque under base on dark fabric.

Joto sells laser CL Premium II opaque which has to be contour cut like 3g opaque.

For laser I highly recommend two step self weeding Imageclip Laser for light. It is truly self weeding, vibrant, durable and has softhand. I don't recommend single step self weeding laser transfer for lights.

The photo below was transferred with Imageclip laser light. Click to enlarge.

There are Neenah self weeding transfer for dark. ImageClip Laser Dark for full color image including white which requires CMYW laser color printer or CMYK plus interchangeable K toner/drum set filled with white toner. Koncert T is self weeding white opaque for dark shirts which only requires monochrome toner.

The photo below was transferred with Imageclip Laser dark.

The image below was transferred with Koncert T. The image was rasterized and it does not crack after several washes.

You can also mix inkjet pigment or sublimation and white laser toner using Imageclip Laser dark.

The photo below was printed with dye ink on Imageclip Laser Dark B sheet. Married it to white laser toner printed A sheet to weed out excess opaque.

The photo below was done with sublimation inkjet ink, white laser toner and Imageclip Laser Dark.

Forever Laser Dark Nocut Low Temp is two step self weeding for dark with full color image including white but it requires CMYW printer. Forever Flex soft are two step self weeding spot color, foil, glitter, neon and flock. It only requires monochrome toner. I had no luck using Nocut and white flex soft.

I don't use inkjet printer anymore because I lost and tossed all 5 inkjet printers due to clogging. In spite of have them scheduled to print every 3 days to prevent the nozzles from drying eventually one at a time clogged beyond recovery.

I am not telling you not to go with inkjet printer. I am just saying what I have been through.

Popular letter size color CMYK laser printer is C610 series. For tabloid is C831N or DN series. The TS version cost more than the N or DN versions. CMYW C711WT is letter size, Procolor 920WT and C8432WT are Tabloid sizes. All CMYW printers are very pricey. Not to mention the consumables. I use an obsolete letter size C5200Ne and interchangeable K toner/drum set filled with white toner.

Now what ever system you are going for I suggest for you to get samples before committing a lot of money. Some vendor will give away free sample or sell sample quantity pre-printed or blank transfers. Test them for ease of use, quality and durability. Put it to heavy wash condition and see if durability meets your expectation.

Good luck.

Last edited by Lnfortun; September 9th, 2017 at 11:14 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to Lnfortun For This Useful Post:
Trenton (September 10th, 2017)
Old November 12th, 2017 Nov 12, 2017 8:48:43 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: John

Inkjet Heat Transfer paper is the best for good results. And printer would be Epson InkJet printer.

Old June 10th, 2018 Jun 10, 2018 10:06:19 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Help please I bought a epson wf7210 but I'm not sure I'm going in the right direction. Yes I know you can print transfer with this printer but I'm looking for how I can print a certain kind honestly I don't even know what you would call them. I'm going to attach a picture and maybe someone can tell me what type of transfers these are and maybe what I should buy. Again this isn't my transfer just trying to find out the type and what printer will print these.
Thanks
Melissa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6457_1528653966341.jpg (55.9 KB, 21 views)

Old June 10th, 2018 Jun 10, 2018 11:33:02 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Attachments aren't viewable right now.

Post your graphic on an image hosting site and post the link here using the [img]link here[/img] tags.

I use imgs.fyi

Old 3 Weeks Ago Jun 30, 2019 10:56:22 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Gina

Can transfer paper print on a canon mg2522? Iʻm trying to put a design on sweatbands or hats without having to seek a professional.

Old 3 Weeks Ago Jun 30, 2019 12:29:09 PM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ed
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,105 Posts

Melissa. The Epson printer does not print white. You would need to print this design on a white shirt for the white parts of the design to be visible.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jul 4, 2019 9:23:34 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: AL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

You can print that design easily using Image Clip for darks and a laser printer.
you can also print the white toner with the Oki B 412 and the Epson sublimation ink jet printer with the IC paper for darks.
AL
atttransfer.com

This is a discussion about Print your own heat transfers that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in