[ADVICE] - Element marks showing on dark wrap mug - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[ADVICE] - Element marks showing on dark wrap mug

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 16th, 2015 Sep 16, 2015 2:05:28 AM -   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Ema
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Element marks showing on dark wrap mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcawards
I may have missed it but you did say the mug press was new....what brand is it?
Yeah brand new - Uk Press, Professional Heat Press

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2015 Sep 16, 2015 6:01:31 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Where are you getting your mugs? I am having a very similar problem at the bottom of the mug only. I can turn my mug the opposite way I normally put it in (top at the bottom) and it still occurs at the bottom of the mug. Which leads me to believe it is a coating problem.

Old September 17th, 2015 Sep 17, 2015 12:23:00 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverc
Where are you getting your mugs? I am having a very similar problem at the bottom of the mug only. I can turn my mug the opposite way I normally put it in (top at the bottom) and it still occurs at the bottom of the mug. Which leads me to believe it is a coating problem.
Hi, my dad got them from Ebay, he's on holiday at the mo so i cant ask him who he bought them off. Ive had fading at the top aswell but more at the bottom.

Old September 18th, 2015 Sep 18, 2015 12:27:49 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

He got them from: signzworld on eBay

Old September 18th, 2015 Sep 18, 2015 1:29:23 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I got mine from a different source. It could still be bad coating on yours too. Mine only happens on the bottom of the mug , even when i put it in backwards. This is with mugs from Coastal Business, Image Right paper,Cobra Inks,Mpress Mug Press @ 400° F and 180 seconds. Here is what mine looked like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150916_203252.jpg (1,023.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Steverc; September 18th, 2015 at 03:38 PM..

Old September 18th, 2015 Sep 18, 2015 3:58:20 PM -   #21 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Larry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
I got mine from a different source. It could still be bad coating on yours too. Mine only happens on the bottom of the mug , even when i put it in backwards. This is with mugs from Coastal Business, Image Right paper,Cobra Inks,Mpress Mug Press @ 400° F and 180 seconds. Here is what mine looked like.
Part of the problem is that the bottom of the mug is thicker and takes a bit longer to get to the 400 f. Also the very top of the mug can be your press not getting hot enough at that outer edge or pressure as well. I keep all my designs at least a quarter inch from top and bottom and don't have those problems. I tried the all over approach many years ago when I started and decided it wasn't worth all the bad prints and adjusted fire and haven't looked back. There may be other reasons for your problems and I hope others will chime in but those were mine.
Dekzion and STPG Press like this.

Old September 19th, 2015 Sep 19, 2015 12:57:43 PM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Part of the problem is that the bottom of the mug is thicker and takes a bit longer to get to the 400 f. Also the very top of the mug can be your press not getting hot enough at that outer edge or pressure as well. I keep all my designs at least a quarter inch from top and bottom and don't have those problems. I tried the all over approach many years ago when I started and decided it wasn't worth all the bad prints and adjusted fire and haven't looked back. There may be other reasons for your problems and I hope others will chime in but those were mine.
That's exactly what I did was move it off the edge by 1/2" and it turned out perfect. Just wanted to have complete coverage. I may try more time, or just buy better quality mugs and see if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150918_185805.jpg (1.04 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20150918_185820.jpg (935.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20150918_185828.jpg (758.5 KB, 8 views)

Old September 21st, 2015 Sep 21, 2015 6:44:18 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

They look ok away from the edge, but didnt want to have to do that :-(

Old September 25th, 2015 Sep 25, 2015 11:31:18 AM -   #24 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Today I tried again. Did 180 degrees for 180 seconds and it printed th the edge fine, but you can see where the black goes brown in the middle of the mug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image_1443209455491.jpeg (1.67 MB, 11 views)

Old September 25th, 2015 Sep 25, 2015 1:12:26 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by poizonBarbie
Today I tried again. Did 180 degrees for 180 seconds and it printed th the edge fine, but you can see where the black goes brown in the middle of the mug.
Where are you located? Is there a heat press supplier or even another business that does dye sub on mugs near you? Maybe a little business to business consideration to let you test your mugs in their press.

I don't know anything about who you bought your mug press from. Maybe it is bad. When I got my standard 12x15 heat press last year, I had to replace my platen after the 3rd time I powered it on. Been great ever since, but problems can occur with new equipment.

Good luck.

Old September 25th, 2015 Sep 25, 2015 5:27:12 PM -   #26 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Larry

Quote:
That's exactly what I did was move it off the edge by 1/2" and it turned out perfect. Just wanted to have complete coverage. I may try more time, or just buy better quality mugs and see if that helps.
Another option is to do a fading or distressed border that gives the illusion of taking up most of the mug. It can also hide any small blemishes. Another is just placing a thin border around your work to frame it in and doing things like this mug I found on the net, notice how the bat and the pumpkin overlap the border and seem to come out of the graphic?...appears to be taking up the space better and doesn't define the white space so much. If this were mine I would have made the pumpkin and bats just a bit more noticeable and had more bats flying off the top side to distract from the bottom....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mugsfour_007_op_800x535.jpg (64.9 KB, 8 views)

Old September 26th, 2015 Sep 26, 2015 3:03:31 AM -   #27 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPG Press
Where are you located? Is there a heat press supplier or even another business that does dye sub on mugs near you? Maybe a little business to business consideration to let you test your mugs in their press.

I don't know anything about who you bought your mug press from. Maybe it is bad. When I got my standard 12x15 heat press last year, I had to replace my platen after the 3rd time I powered it on. Been great ever since, but problems can occur with new equipment.

Good luck.
Yeah i have a friend who prints mugs, t-shirts etc. I printed off for him the other day 2 A4 sheets with my paper (that he gave me) my ink and my printer, and he used it to sub a chopping board, but it faded around all the edges with him, and he said he had to put it back in a few times for 30 secs longer than he usually does.
But i dont think its a case of the ink not printing to the edge of the paper properly as when i used the black strips to test they were from all around the paper.

Doesnt the black turning brown mean the middle of the mug is getting too hot in the middle? I might try 180 again but for shorter times and see if it improves. I just dont want to waste any more mugs at the mo, wasted 8 originally testing on them, then i sold 8 last week and 6 of them got smashed in the post, so i put in claims but if i loose the claims ill have to either make more or refund, and im just starting this as a hobby and im on a budget when it comes to buying more materials.

Old September 26th, 2015 Sep 26, 2015 3:05:50 AM -   #28 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Another option is to do a fading or distressed border that gives the illusion of taking up most of the mug. It can also hide any small blemishes. Another is just placing a thin border around your work to frame it in and doing things like this mug I found on the net, notice how the bat and the pumpkin overlap the border and seem to come out of the graphic?...appears to be taking up the space better and doesn't define the white space so much. If this were mine I would have made the pumpkin and bats just a bit more noticeable and had more bats flying off the top side to distract from the bottom....
Im a perfectionist tho, and i dont want to have to compromise what people ask for, i want to be able to do a full black graphic mug if asked for one :-( I dont want to be distracting from mistakes, but the border idea is an effective one to use on certain designs. But if the black border didnt print properly youd still notice it.

Old September 26th, 2015 Sep 26, 2015 3:51:00 AM -   #29 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Our press was name brand, the mugs Coastal, the paper Tex Print, the inks Sublijet. It began by doing edges light, then had bad spots in different odd places. Put in a new blanket and haven't thought about ti till now.

Old September 26th, 2015 Sep 26, 2015 4:40:10 AM -   #30 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Blanket meaning what holds the mug?
If it that that's faulty then I will complain to my machine supplier as its new

This is a discussion about Element marks showing on dark wrap mug that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in