Aligning the design before pressing. - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

Aligning the design before pressing.

Like Tree15Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 10th, 2014 Feb 10, 2014 1:41:41 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Vic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: Aligning the design before pressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Star DC
Hi Vix.

I have 2 methods, and i'm not 100% positive that its the right way to do it. But it has worked well for me so far. 1. I take a large ruled straight edge and measure from seam to seam under the arms of the shirt, then divide by 2 to find the center. 2. i bought the T-Square It tool and use the alignment marks on it. its a very handy tool, but is a little time consuming for me use.
This method has worked for us so far.
The only draw back is that sometimes the shirts, although, they are brand new sometimes they aren't perfectly accurate.

But STILL, this is the best way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2014 Feb 10, 2014 3:23:24 PM -   #17 (permalink)
j4k
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jonathan

Default Re: Aligning the design before pressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinbus
The 1st issue is to be certain the shirt is centered on the press. If that's off, everything's off. I don't have an issue centering; I'm more concerned with being certain it's level from top to bottom. [ ] not / /
After I find my center, and transfer is in place, before I press I make sure that the shirt is lined up square on the platen. To do this I make sure that there is the same amount of tee hanging off each side of the platen, and the bottom of the tee should also be square hanging off the platen. Next I adjust my image to be square with the bottom of the platen. All of this only take a few extra seconds to check.

No matter how inconsistent the shirts are this method usually works for me.
eiggoziur likes this.

Old February 10th, 2014 Feb 10, 2014 4:13:21 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: mark

I have a 16x20 press, what I did was notch the bottom platen with a file,centered on both ends I can feel when I center my shirt, you can also tape a toothpick on each end. I find that 99 percent of my labels are centered. Once I get my label centered on the notch I eyeball the bonttom. I always make my designs an even dimension, say my transfer 10", my platen is 16" wide, 16--10 =6, now devide 6 by 2 =3, so 3" is your distance from the side of your platen to the edge of your design. I use the T-square it for this measurement and square my design at the same time. I do transfers not sure if this will help with your rhinestones. Hope this made sense. Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to mailman For This Useful Post:
shreddedwheat (June 27th, 2014)

Old February 27th, 2014 Feb 27, 2014 1:21:33 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: jerry

it really nice design to make it.thank for sharing that

Old August 7th, 2014 Aug 7, 2014 4:21:08 PM -   #20 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Thumbs up Re: Aligning the design before pressing.

[QUOTE=leebea;1068435]I have found that folding the shirt in half and closing and opening the press immediately gives me enough of a centerline crease to center the transfer without putting a permanent crease in the shirt.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I wasn't blessed with the ability to lay down a straight transfer by eye each and every time, regardless of how careful I am.

I needed a method that I could use consistently and methodically. This process adds an extra step or two, but it's well worth the additional effort for peace of mind of knowing you've got a system you can duplicate from job to job.

This board has been invaluable to me because that's been my biggest issue. I just completed a job using the above method and every shirt came out straight! If you don't have "the gift" I would recommend trying this.

It works!

Old August 8th, 2014 Aug 8, 2014 12:48:52 PM -   #21 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rick
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

It's not a gift, but a learned skill. Some designs are more difficult though.

Old August 9th, 2014 Aug 9, 2014 4:32:18 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Raj

This was a real struggle for quite a while, it's the one thing not mentioned that is a total time killer!

This is what I do to help.

1. Fold and centre crease garment
2. Align garment shoulder seems to top of platen edge
3. Align garment side seems to side of platen edge
4. Take the longest length of the logo and divide by 2, so if it's 12cm long the centre is 6cm, now go 6cm in from left edge and see where it stops, remember that position.
5. Align the logo using the above centre position to the garment crease.
6. To align how much you come down just use the ruler from the top edge of the front collar and drop to your desired height, as a reminder you can create a small pen mark on the rule.

Sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't, I find it very effective and time saving.

Hope it helps!

Raj

Old June 11th, 2018 Jun 11, 2018 7:29:33 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thanks for all the comments here, but I'm still unsure as to the best way to align a breast pocket type image when using heat transfers. My customer complained that 8 of the 36 shirts I sent him where not centered right.

Old June 11th, 2018 Jun 11, 2018 9:01:32 AM -   #24 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowshipDesign
Thanks for all the comments here, but I'm still unsure as to the best way to align a breast pocket type image when using heat transfers. My customer complained that 8 of the 36 shirts I sent him where not centered right.
You can buy cheap lasers from eBay and make lines on the platen to help with alignment. Several people have done it, try searching heat press ebay laser.

Old June 11th, 2018 Jun 11, 2018 9:24:53 AM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Come on guys, all you need is a cheap laser ruler, and a bit of logic.

1. Point the laser ruler to the vertical center of your press.

2. Fold the shirt where the top of your transfer paper should be and press it to create a crease.
3. Place the t-shirt on the press and and line it up with the crease. The lines on the back of the transfer will help you center it to the laser beam.

There you have it... Perfectly centered and level.

Old June 11th, 2018 Jun 11, 2018 9:31:27 AM -   #26 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
Come on guys, all you need is a cheap laser ruler, and a bit of logic
All you really need is a little practice

Old July 11th, 2018 Jul 11, 2018 8:27:08 PM -   #27 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Randy

Thanks for all the tips. As a newbie who has not pressed a T-Shirt yet, it is nice to get all the tips to aid me in my first transfer.

This is a discussion about Aligning the design before pressing. that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in