[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - a review of 8 different custom plastisol transfer screen printers - samples followup - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - a review of 8 different custom plastisol transfer screen printers - samples followup

Like Tree31Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 23rd, 2007 Mar 23, 2007 11:48:44 PM -   #46 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: a review of 8 different custom plastisol transfer screen printers - samples followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech
Their benefit is in allowing one to purchase less than a dozen at a time (That is my understanding. Please correct me if I have stated it incorrectly)
Agreed.

Also, you minimize your shipping charges since anything over $89 only costs $3 in handling charges and convenience since you don't have to order from several suppliers.

Many of the designs are not any more expensive (X-It designs for example) while others are more expensive (Dixie Traditions for example) but overall I think it is a wash...especially when you consider the convenience. This may be different if you buy a large volume of transfers....then maybe it makes sense to deal directly with the individual manufacturers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2007 May 10, 2007 12:17:22 PM -   #47 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kelly

Default Re: a review of 8 different custom plastisol transfer screen printers - samples followup

Thanks for your reviews you saved me about a million hours of work!!!!!! I love this group.

Old May 15th, 2007 May 15, 2007 11:06:13 AM -   #48 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: BO

Rodney, your review really helped. I got samples from First Edition, Transfer Express, FMExpression and Coastal (blank transfers). I have tried the samples from FMExpression and Coastal. I am filling making t-shirts for a new customer. I decided to go with FMExpression because Zach sent an e-mail the next day after I requested for samples. I like when I can easily communicate with the company! They are working on my art work since the quality I sent them was not good enough. That costs me extra money. Could you tell me the best software to do vector graphics? Thanks all.

BO https://www.t-shirtforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Old May 15th, 2007 May 15, 2007 7:07:25 PM -   #49 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Natasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinetshirts
They are working on my art work since the quality I sent them was not good enough. That costs me extra money. Could you tell me the best software to do vector graphics? Thanks all.

BO
I know this was directed to Rodney, but I'd say you should check out the major players in vector graphics, like Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw. I personally use Illustrator, and I do technical sketches in the fashion industry. Most all companies I've worked with use Adobe. Works well with their raster program, Photoshop, as well.
However, if you are on Linux, for instance, Adobe won't work. Or if you're not trying to shell out that kind of money - it IS expensive -- you might want to look at other options.
Inkscape is free, open-source, and shows promise. If I hadn't already gotten hooked on Illustrator and all the shortcuts, etc, and if I didn't need to work on an industry standard, I'd go with that.
In the end, it's all subjective anyway, so your best bet is to try out different programs (demos) for the one that works best for you personally. But of course you should consider what your industry uses (file format issues), price, how well it flows with other programs, etc.
Good luck!

Old May 15th, 2007 May 15, 2007 7:28:27 PM -   #50 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashazo
I'd say you should check out the major players in vector graphics, like Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw. ......Or if you're not trying to shell out that kind of money - it IS expensive!
its a small price to pay, after all it is an important tool for a graphic designer.

without it (industry standard), you will not be in the same playing field as your industry peers and may also cost you more time and money in the long run. Like submiting art to screen printers in MEGA size photoshop files. Who will convert them to VECTORS ? you can (not refering to tashazo, general You ), with up to par graphic software as mentioned.

Knowing how to use your tools is important too. Its easy i find, and Im not a designer but may be one day i will be...who knows.

:

Old May 16th, 2007 May 16, 2007 6:23:17 AM -   #51 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I agree with you Lucy, hands down. If somebody wants to go the open-source way, for instance, they'll have to research how to convert files to what their vendors need, definitely. Which may be a pain. But some people swear by other programs, and i guess it's 'to each his own'.
I personally use Illustrator, and wouldn't change that for anything. (I just wish they would port it to Linux already) Once you get the hang of it, it is fast and easy to use. Shortcuts fall in place with other Adobe products (Photoshop, etc), so it's almost like you learn it only once.

Old May 16th, 2007 May 16, 2007 6:24:33 AM -   #52 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: BO

Thanks Natasha and Lucy for your the input. I believe the posting is to everyone on the forum. I am still new in the business! I will look into the suggestions that you made and let you know how things go.

BO

Old May 16th, 2007 May 16, 2007 6:28:46 AM -   #53 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BOT
its a small price to pay, after all it is an important tool for a graphic designer.

without it (industry standard), you will not be in the same playing field as your industry peers and may also cost you more time and money in the long run. Like submiting art to screen printers in MEGA size photoshop files. Who will convert them to VECTORS ? you can (not refering to tashazo, general You ), with up to par graphic software as mentioned.

:
Only now did I see what you're trying to say. Of course, she is looking for vector programs.
All of the software I mentioned are vector, which she is looking for, but in different formats.

Old May 17th, 2007 May 17, 2007 7:44:21 AM -   #54 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

this is sooooo helpful, i just need to find people in the uk with these same transfers

Old May 17th, 2007 May 17, 2007 1:00:41 PM -   #55 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,021 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2141bada
this is sooooo helpful, i just need to find people in the uk with these same transfers
Look no further than here: https://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-pr...ers/t9994.html

Old May 17th, 2007 May 17, 2007 1:13:00 PM -   #56 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Anyone have luck contacting versatrans? Nearly a month and nada (after their first reply asking for my address 2 weeks after I contacted them).

I hear their stuff is good, but contacting them is like pulling teeth. I think that's probably going to be the deciding factor -- whether their stuff is good and cheap or not.

Old May 17th, 2007 May 17, 2007 2:43:29 PM -   #57 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleMedia
Anyone have luck contacting versatrans? Nearly a month and nada (after their first reply asking for my address 2 weeks after I contacted them).

I hear their stuff is good, but contacting them is like pulling teeth. I think that's probably going to be the deciding factor -- whether their stuff is good and cheap or not.
exact same problemo for me...
and I really was considering ordering from them...

Old May 17th, 2007 May 17, 2007 3:36:44 PM -   #58 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleMedia
Anyone have luck contacting versatrans? Nearly a month and nada.
I find that when contacting companies, if you tell them you were refered by such and such, or even from Rodney's Board here, it helps.

They may be busy trying to get orders out for their regular clients, or there may be other reasons. But, referals do help. Think of them as "Transfer Doctors" lol, serious, you would be surprised what a referal will do in any Industry.

...just a thought.

:

Old May 17th, 2007 May 17, 2007 4:22:16 PM -   #59 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I definitely did tell them I found them here and even linked the thread... still no dice.

*crosses off list*

Old May 21st, 2007 May 21, 2007 9:07:26 AM -   #60 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

i surfed around First Edition's webby and cant seem to find their email address. Anyone has it??

This is a discussion about a review of 8 different custom plastisol transfer screen printers - samples followup that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in