[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - a review of 8 different custom plastisol transfer screen printers - samples followup - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - a review of 8 different custom plastisol transfer screen printers - samples followup

Like Tree31Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 3rd, 2007 Mar 3, 2007 5:50:22 AM -   #31 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: a review of 8 different custom plastisol transfer screen printers - samples followup

Rodney,
awesome post! i was wondering if you came across any companies that do the application of your custom heat transfers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2007 Mar 3, 2007 5:39:30 PM -   #32 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Nick

Default Re: a review of 8 different custom plastisol transfer screen printers - samples followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoiwi
Rodney,
awesome post! i was wondering if you came across any companies that do the application of your custom heat transfers?
Why not just get a screenprinter to print the shirts directly?......getting the transfers made only for another company to apply them seems to be adding extra cost and complexity for no reason.

Old March 3rd, 2007 Mar 3, 2007 5:49:52 PM -   #33 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: JB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

The only benefit to having transfers printed and having someone to put them on . #1 is you can get the transfers printed in a number that would keep your print cost at the level you want to attain. #2 Having someone put them on as needed would control the cost of on hand inventory of finished product. If they were screenprinted you would have both cost tying up your dollars until the product was sold. IMHO.... JB

Old March 4th, 2007 Mar 4, 2007 6:26:01 AM -   #34 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeylantern
Why not just get a screenprinter to print the shirts directly?......getting the transfers made only for another company to apply them seems to be adding extra cost and complexity for no reason.
no extra cost really. Because the inital pricing would only be for the transfers and NOT the transfers and shirts. A lot less cost just for the transfers. You simply give the finished price per shirt based on the estimated amount of completed t-shirts the customer projects over a certain period of time (1 year example), BUT they only pay you for the Transfers up front and pay the balance price per shirt based on the estimated amount (usually the same amount as the transfer order quantity) as they order and we fill.

wE print the transfers on shirts for customers. Do it all the time.

Here are some situations when/why:

1. The customer is located in the USA so we keep some transfers on hand to fill orders from Canada. This way it saves the customer money and ships faster.

2. With Bands on the road for example, we print the pre-made transfers on the shirts and ship it to them on the road as they need (specific sizes/colors etc...as they run out).

3. TV shows, again we print the shirts as they need as they move along filming the episodes.

4. With Brands selling the shirts in retail stores, we print the shirts (2-2-2-2 example) for every location, and fill the sold outs on a regular basis, like once a week etc.

5. With Restaurants and such type buisnesses, again no need for them to keep $ 1000's of dollars in Inventory (10 styles in 10 colors and all sizes), we print up 2-2-2-2, they set up a selling display and we print them as they sell out...once a week/month etc.

one of the great benefits of transfers...is to print up shirts as you need. Even for some transfer makers this is a big part of the Biz. BUT not all do it since there are other elements involved, like quality control, shipping and packaging finished goods flat folded in bags or on transport hangers etc...

I guess you can call it fulfillment on demand...we have been doing this type of thing for a long time and it really works out good for all involved, cost, fast delivery and wide selection.

Last edited by T-BOT; March 4th, 2007 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: alot of typos ---- sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to T-BOT For This Useful Post:
marker13 (November 9th, 2016)
Old March 4th, 2007 Mar 4, 2007 10:35:29 PM -   #35 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John

Quote:
Dowling hasn't responded, but it was the afternoon and Friday. I don't know if I would have responded until Monday. One of the advantages to Dowling is that they are less than 10 miles from me... (hmmmm... I didn't know that until I visited their web site)
If you don't get a response on Monday from Dowling....try [email protected]. I had some initial issues but she got on top of it and has been great since.

Old March 5th, 2007 Mar 5, 2007 2:36:34 AM -   #36 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Lisa

Thanks Rodney. This is a great help. I have used transfer express and first edition a few times and I love them both. I love the templates at trasnfer express. It makes things easy and if a customer picks one of them, they are very fast to ship. First Edition takes a bit longer, but I just did 350 shirts with a custom transfer and not a SINGLE ONE messed up due to transfer problems. The only problem I had was a misaligned one as I don't have an eye for that either.

Old March 14th, 2007 Mar 14, 2007 1:56:17 AM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jim.

Rodney is tha Man!! I had to post this, so I could get e-mails when posts to this thread come in. I don't want to miss anything.

Regards,
Jim

Old March 14th, 2007 Mar 14, 2007 1:59:18 AM -   #38 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhack3
I had to post this, so I could get e-mails when posts to this thread come in.
You can subscribe to a thread without posting in it using the "Thread Tools" dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Solmu For This Useful Post:
maurice7131 (July 18th, 2012)
Old March 15th, 2007 Mar 15, 2007 7:02:32 PM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jim

After reading Rodney's report, I contacted First Edition and Dowling Graphics (I figured two would be plenty for my brain to deal with at one time).

I contacted both within minutes of each other via email. As we all know, email can bounce around and get lost... or, in any case, can take some time to get to their destination...

I received an email response from First Edition in about 10 minutes (Impressive). The response thanked me for taking the time to contact them, and that a sample package would be shipped today (Hmmm... Friday afternoon, and they are going to ship today... plus number 2). I did actually receive shipping notice with tracking numbers for UPS that afternoon!

I did not hear from Dowling on Friday (I don't think I would have responded to a new request on Friday afternoon either. Especially if I was knee deep in putting out fires before the weekend). I did receive a phone call on Monday letting me know that a sample packet would be mailed that day.

I was excited about Dowling, simply because they are less than 5 miles from my location. It would be an easy trip to drop off, or pickup artwork and stock transfers for that matter (I also noticed that I pressed one of their graphics over the weekend in one of my other test samples ... gotta love Pirates!)
===

Well, I did receive both packages by Wednesday, but did not have time to look through their material.
===

I have only had time to work with First Edition (and, particularly their cold peel transfers). I did read in their binder (filled with test samples of all kinds!), that they are a division of "Cliff Hix Engineering, Inc." And most of us have heard of Hix heat transfer equipment.

I started with the cold peel because that is what I have read that everyone has the most problems using. I can understand that (The ex-witch used to moan and complain every time she got a new one in for her business and had to try and press the darned thing).

I read all their instructions for Cold Peel, and started with the "Glitter" transfers (Why start at the easy-hard stuff, when you can leap right into the hard-hard stuff... lol). Their instructions for dealing with cold peel were very in depth and thorough. I do not own a "metal heat sink" or a "Chiller" to cool the heat transfer in place while on the machine, but I did find a metal piece to place over the transfer in an attempt to cool it as their instructions state (3-5 seconds, then peel the paper immediately after cooling).

---
I cut one of the glitter transfers into two pieces ("Wrestlers" and "Grandma"). I figured grandma would like a nice glittery t-shirt to wear, but she is not into wrestling.

I pressed the Wrestlers graphic first (350 F - 12 to 15 seconds, medium to heavy pressure, Teflon in place). Gently raise the platen and apply the Chiller 3-5 seconds and peel immediately...

Notice all the cool glitter got onto the test cloth, but the outline pulled up in the middle.

I increased the temp 5 degrees F, and pressed another graphic

Hmmm... a bit closer to the mark, but the outline is still trouble.

I increased the temp 5 degrees F (Now 360) and increased the pressure. I figured I would attempt grandma on a real test shirt...

Hey! Success... but, the edges felt a bit loose. I am not sure if this will hold up to a washing

I am tired of attempting to use the "pseudo" Chiller and decide to attempt something else. I already know that the Chiller is not what they had in mind (mine was a simple invoice holder loaded with invoices - thin metal accepts the heat too quickly without cooling enough)

OK, the last of the "Glitz and Glitter" - Same temp (360) same time (15 seconds) and same pressure... BUT, a different Chiller

Eureka! Full success and the edges appear to be able to withstand washing!

Now for the secret Chiller change... I used a large/thick paperback book on the image, pressed it down on the image and used the palm of my hand to move the book back and forth for about 5 seconds and immediately peeled

---

So much for "Glitz and Glitter", I have other cold peels to attempt.

The directions for non-glitter call for a change of temp and time. Everything else remains the same (temp 370 F - 12 to 15 seconds)

The instructions were clear about NOT moving the transfer from the substrate and using the Teflon to help hold it down while the platen is raised and lowered...

I pressed the next graphic at 370 F for 15 seconds and used my Chiller for about 5 seconds...

Cool! another success!

I've been at this for some time now... reading, adjusting, moving, reading, moving, adjusting... I am getting a little "punchy"

What would happen if I needed to do two cold press images at the same time?

I used all the same settings and the new Chiller...

OK, well that worked too!

I have six cold peel test graphics left, and a black test shirt that has not had anything work on it yet. I will turn it inside out and press all six cold peels that I have left from First Edition and see what happens...

Same settings, same Chiller...

I really didn't expect it to work, but it did. All of the cold peels transferred perfectly!

===

Maybe I should patent this book-and-twist idea

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CoolTech For This Useful Post:
jleampark (September 21st, 2009), joepa (September 17th, 2010), marker13 (November 9th, 2016), TWELVEANDTWO (October 1st, 2015)
Old March 16th, 2007 Mar 16, 2007 9:08:50 AM -   #40 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,021 Times in 3,228 Posts

Another great test post Jim. Thanks again!

Quote:
do not own a "metal heat sink" or a "Chiller" to cool the heat transfer in place while on the machine
Thanks for the tips on the First Edition Glitter as well. I read about their "chiller" and wanted to get one, but I don't see it listed on their site for sale anywhere (and I didn't take the time to call or email them about it).

Your softball test looks like it came out pretty well.

Old March 16th, 2007 Mar 16, 2007 3:00:35 PM -   #41 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,021 Times in 3,228 Posts

Updated first post with my new review of VersaTrans and a quick update from Howard Sportswear.

Old March 16th, 2007 Mar 16, 2007 3:37:29 PM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Another great test post Jim. Thanks again!

Thanks for the tips on the First Edition Glitter as well. I read about their "chiller" and wanted to get one, but I don't see it listed on their site for sale anywhere (and I didn't take the time to call or email them about it).

Your softball test looks like it came out pretty well.
Yes, the softball test came out perfect by using the book-swish method.

After that, all the rest of the cold peels worked without issue (Kind of like Harry Potter: "flick and swish"... lol)

Old March 16th, 2007 Mar 16, 2007 3:45:28 PM -   #43 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Updated first post with my new review of VersaTrans and a quick update from Howard Sportswear.
Thanks for the update...

Those foils seem mighty interesting!

Old March 23rd, 2007 Mar 23, 2007 9:16:59 AM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Lorena

Ok. so I've heard great things about all these companies you have reviewed.

has anyone had good experience with "pro world"

I ordered a catalog from them, got it in a week, the catalog is huge.
I also ordered some transfers.

tried them out and at first I was disapointed, because the transfers did not fully stick to the tote bags, (the shirts where fine)

Might of bee cuz the tote bags are thicker than shirts. ???
(100% cotton canvas)

so i read up on their help site.. and it said. if the transfer was not sticking I needed more pressure...

So I tried more preassure and TADA!!! it worked.

but I want to know what your experiences are with that company.

LORENA

Old March 23rd, 2007 Mar 23, 2007 10:07:53 AM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Pro World is a reseller of all of the companies listed in this review. To my understanding, they do not manufacture their own transfers.

Their benefit is in allowing one to purchase less than a dozen at a time (That is my understanding. Please correct me if I have stated it incorrectly)

This is a discussion about a review of 8 different custom plastisol transfer screen printers - samples followup that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in