[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition - Page 5 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Like Tree8Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 9th, 2008 Sep 9, 2008 7:32:24 AM -   #61 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Randy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

process called digiprint and was for an 11x 9.5 inch transfer $8. Said plastisol would run about $4.5 but quality would be lacking, or need to make original less detailed..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2008 Sep 9, 2008 7:36:19 AM -   #62 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Master

Default Re: what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargaincrusader
Front and back design we expect the back to be about 17 inches x 13 inches. front about 14x 11.
being new we were not exactly sure the shirt size we need but seems the back should go from middle of shoulder blade each size. On XXL it seemed about 17 inches. I am guessing we would want 2 sizes to accomodate the med- large adult also.
Being new maybe you can give feedback on how you know what size to make the transfer. I emailed to them the picture, and said front and back. Maybe there was a missunderstanding.
You'll find standard pricing is normally on a 12"x12" and quantity makes a big difference. I've got a 2 color I'm doing that is about $2.50 a sheet at qty. 36, but after the order got bumped up to qty. 300, the price went down to about $1.

If you have smaller designs, remember you can put more than one on a sheet with many companies. This is called a gangsheet. I had a 2 color left chest that was about 6". So, we put 8 on each gangsheet. Even at only 36 sheets, my price was about 30 cents each. Be sure you give Ace & First Edition a check on your transfers if you think your pricing may not be so good.

For low quantities it doesn't always make cost sense to do transfers because of the setup costs pretty much making it cost about the same to do 36 as it does to do 5. On those smaller order, you might want to look at cutting your own vinyl. Vinyl is also great for customizations, like adding a nickname to the shirt or something like that.
baaybgyrl likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Masterkoin For This Useful Post:
baaybgyrl (April 22nd, 2016), cheffor (December 4th, 2014)
Old September 9th, 2008 Sep 9, 2008 7:45:40 AM -   #63 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Randy

My idea was to print maybe 300 for Xl-XXL people, and 300 for small to large. But we made a couple prints here in china and the size looked too small at around 12 inches x 9. We also think we should purchase our own machine as would give us more control over what and how to print. We cannot figure out what we need to print. You say on vinyl? To do this we would need a solvent printer? Any solvent printer? How many colors needed, and what about the problem for printing on black needing white. Do all solvent printers have white? Or on vinyl maybe the problem does not exist for printing on black? We are close to figuring this out and was told all we need is a solvent printer, and a cutter. If i understand this we would still need to do weeding correct? Or am I wrong is there a solvent printer that prints direct to transfer so no need to weed? If not then a solvent printer must be the way, and must use special vinyl transfer paper i am guessing. But important is the ability to print on black.

Old September 9th, 2008 Sep 9, 2008 8:10:25 AM -   #64 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

If you are working with quantities over 100, I would stick to plastisol. If the transfers are too expensive, then you should probably look into setting up your own silkscreen shop.

Old September 9th, 2008 Sep 9, 2008 8:15:04 AM -   #65 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Thanked 2,491 Times in 2,209 Posts

Quote:
My idea was to print maybe 300 for Xl-XXL people, and 300 for small to large. But we made a couple prints here in china and the size looked too small at around 12 inches x 9. We also think we should purchase our own machine as would give us more control over what and how to print. We cannot figure out what we need to print. You say on vinyl? To do this we would need a solvent printer? Any solvent printer? How many colors needed, and what about the problem for printing on black needing white. Do all solvent printers have white? Or on vinyl maybe the problem does not exist for printing on black? We are close to figuring this out and was told all we need is a solvent printer, and a cutter. If i understand this we would still need to do weeding correct? Or am I wrong is there a solvent printer that prints direct to transfer so no need to weed? If not then a solvent printer must be the way, and must use special vinyl transfer paper i am guessing. But important is the ability to print on black.
Master makes a good point. If you already know what you are printing, you can always print directly on the shirts and not have to worry about transfers. Was there a specific reason you wanted transfers vs. direct?

Secondly, a 13X17 plastisol printed back and a 11X14 front is considered large by anyone's criteria. The fact that you want to have different size prints for different size shirts means you will need two sets of screens, adding to your cost. I size my designs where I just need one set of prints to print sizes S-XXL.

Also, if these areas are 100% covered with ink, the shirt has less breathing room and could feel hot and retain moisture next to the wearer's body.

The Following User Says Thank You to splathead For This Useful Post:
Fishtank Tees (April 9th, 2013)
Old September 9th, 2008 Sep 9, 2008 8:16:36 AM -   #66 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Front and back design we expect the back to be about 17 inches x 13 inches. front about 14x 11.
being new we were not exactly sure the shirt size we need but seems the back should go from middle of shoulder blade each size. On XXL it seemed about 17 inches. I am guessing we would want 2 sizes to accomodate the med- large adult also.
Being new maybe you can give feedback on how you know what size to make the transfer. I emailed to them the picture, and said front and back. Maybe there was a missunderstanding.
As far as figuring out your print size, I went through the same thing and pretty much just looked at my shirts and my kids shirts. Just look around for shirts you see that you like and use them as templates. I'm getting quite a bad reputation for reading tags and measuring graphics on people's clothing.

Old September 12th, 2008 Sep 12, 2008 9:12:13 AM -   #67 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

hi there
my name is darren,i am from south africa,need some advice.you guys are a bit more advanced than us.if the world had to end we would still have ten years to live its bad

i am trying out transfer printing with plastersol does the transfer have to be wet for application because if it is dry it doesent stick

im finding that the transfers dont have a lot of stretch after pressing them

what tempreture should i set my press at, and how long must i press it for. as i am used to curing with a tunnel

is there something to mix into the ink to help it strech more?

thank you!

Old September 12th, 2008 Sep 12, 2008 9:33:40 AM -   #68 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker
hi there
my name is darren,i am from south africa,need some advice.you guys are a bit more advanced than us.if the world had to end we would still have ten years to live its bad

i am trying out transfer printing with plastersol does the transfer have to be wet for application because if it is dry it doesent stick

im finding that the transfers dont have a lot of stretch after pressing them

what tempreture should i set my press at, and how long must i press it for. as i am used to curing with a tunnel

is there something to mix into the ink to help it strech more?

thank you!
Are you trying to make your own transfers or are you trying to apply plastisol transfers you have had made?

Old September 12th, 2008 Sep 12, 2008 1:59:46 PM -   #69 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

yes i am making my own transfers with a six coulour carrosal and applying them

Old September 12th, 2008 Sep 12, 2008 2:08:02 PM -   #70 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

OK, off the top, it seems like you may be curing the ink on the paper too long? You don't want to fully cure. Only gel the ink. It does not get fully cured until you apply it with the heat press.

what type of material are you applying it to where you need it to stretch? There are inks especially made for stretchy material. Otherwise, a plastisol transfer should stretch the same as a direct print.

Did your paper or your ink come with any instructions on press temperature and time? I have seen temperature recommendations anywhere from 325-375 degrees and a press time of anywhere between 7 to15 seconds. It just depends on the supplier. Check with your ink vendor. Or you will have to experiment.

Also check out this thread https://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt...es/t14049.html

and http://www.screenprinters.net/articles.php?art=66

Last edited by splathead; September 12th, 2008 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old September 13th, 2008 Sep 13, 2008 12:26:53 PM -   #71 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Eric

Thanks Rodney for some really great posts on your experiences with the heat press.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the quality and feel of plastisol transfers which you've applied with your heat press compared to plastisol direct on Tshirts from a screen printer.

Have you found any differences of plastisol transfer applied from a heat press, compared to a plastisol print direct on the tshirt at the screen printer?

Old September 14th, 2008 Sep 14, 2008 5:29:03 PM -   #72 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Lacey

I am just getting started and have read all 5 pages of the diary. Rodney, THANK YOU for being the GO TO GUY for all of us beginners!!! I think I am set on Plastisol over the "printing on my printer and using a heat press" idea I started with.
I am hoping someone can answer the following:
1. Can I send my JPEG images to Ace or First Edition and have my logos set to Plastisol?
2. I keep seeing white being an issue to print on a dark shirt. Can I have a white logo in Plastisol to press to a black shirt?
3. Confirming what I thought I read...I can have multiple logos printed on a "gangpage" (sp?). Would I then just cut them out in a generic fashion (i.e. not touching the logo itself) and press?
4. If I have a Plastisol logo in the shape of a circle, after I press, only the circle will be showing on the fabric? No outer residual glue, adhesive, etc?
Thank you in advance to any and all who can help me! I can't wait to get started!
Oh wait! One more question! Any ideas on quality blanks? I already have looked at American Apparel and looking for something a little cheaper but relative quality!
Oops, one more....any thoughts on the heat press and crystal transferring?
Sorry!
Thanks Again!

Old September 14th, 2008 Sep 14, 2008 5:45:05 PM -   #73 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: JB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I would answer yes to all your questions(1-4) and there are many quality blanks available. I use district threads from www.sanmar.com . I suggest a brand name press for quality and service after the sale. .. Good luck. .... JB

The Following User Says Thank You to COEDS For This Useful Post:
laceymcdaniel (September 14th, 2008)
Old September 14th, 2008 Sep 14, 2008 5:50:41 PM -   #74 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceymcdaniel
1. Can I send my JPEG images to Ace or First Edition and have my logos set to Plastisol?
2. I keep seeing white being an issue to print on a dark shirt. Can I have a white logo in Plastisol to press to a black shirt?
3. Confirming what I thought I read...I can have multiple logos printed on a "gangpage" (sp?). Would I then just cut them out in a generic fashion (i.e. not touching the logo itself) and press?
4. If I have a Plastisol logo in the shape of a circle, after I press, only the circle will be showing on the fabric? No outer residual glue, adhesive, etc?
Thank you in advance to any and all who can help me! I can't wait to get started!
Oh wait! One more question! Any ideas on quality blanks? I already have looked at American Apparel and looking for something a little cheaper but relative quality!
Oops, one more....any thoughts on the heat press and crystal transferring?
Sorry!
Thanks Again!

1. You should check with them directly for their artwork requirements. Different vendors have different requirements.

2. Definitely. You simple tell the transfer co. that the design is for a dark shirt and they will add the white underbase to it.

3. Yes, you are correct.

4. Correct. The transfer paper is like wax paper. The only thing that transfers is the ink. No residue whatsoever. It the same as if you had printed it directly on a silkscreeen press.

5. blanks. Alstyle makes a good cheaper alternative to American Apparel.

6. Heat press. Popular brands are Stahls, Hix, Hottronix, Phoenix, George Knight . You should get at least a 15 X 15 to cover all your bases on transfer size.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to splathead For This Useful Post:
laceymcdaniel (September 14th, 2008), regpaq (November 8th, 2010)
Old September 14th, 2008 Sep 14, 2008 8:02:23 PM -   #75 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Lacey

Fantastic! Thanks for replying so quickly!

This is a discussion about what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in