[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Like Tree8Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 12th, 2008 Jan 12, 2008 6:09:36 AM -   #46 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Plastisol ink for plastisol transfers
plastisol; transfer paper as well
You need a screen printing set up to create the transfers
You need a heat preass to transfer the transfers

You can find the inks, paper and other supplies at Ace Transfer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2008 Jan 21, 2008 10:33:54 AM -   #47 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,021 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by drotz
hi,i'm new here and this kind of hobby, is plastisol used a deferent paper or a simple heat transfer paper(iron on) paper can do the job?

can i silkscreen the paper myself?

is there a special ink for plastisol?

why is it that this graphic looks white?sori for the noob question,just wanna learn something new

can anybody give some link for me: tutorial plastisol making,or like that

tanx in advance
Did you read the definition in the first post? It answers all of those questions

You can also read more about plastisol transfers here: plastisol transfers related topics at T-Shirt Forums

Old January 29th, 2008 Jan 29, 2008 7:40:14 PM -   #48 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: awis
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drotz

can anybody give some link for me: tutorial plastisol making,or like that

tanx in advance
heres a helpfull link for mr
hope it do u just
Printing Plastisol Transfers

Old February 6th, 2008 Feb 6, 2008 8:41:44 AM -   #49 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hello, this is my first post and am interested in this plastisol~I do small pocket logos for a company with thermoflex and cut them on my plotter~it takes "forever" to weed these and I was looking for some other way~I want them to look like they are screen printed but NOT printed on a heat press vinyl (I have tried that) and it looks like a big plastic sticker stuck on the shirt. If I have the ready artwork in Flexi can I get them made somewhere???

Old February 17th, 2008 Feb 17, 2008 7:29:23 PM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Gusto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney

There are a few high end design techniques that might be hard with plastisol transfers, but for the most part, they can achieve similar quality.

Can you elaborate on which techniques might not be possible with plastisol transfers?

Old April 3rd, 2008 Apr 3, 2008 9:38:51 AM -   #51 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

This may be a sill question but I was going to try some of this plastisol stuff and was wondering, once you get your transfer is there any cutting involved (aroudn your image? or can you just lay the whole thing down and press?

SORRY NEWBIE!!!!

Old April 3rd, 2008 Apr 3, 2008 1:14:35 PM -   #52 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Thanked 2,491 Times in 2,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly0006
This may be a sill question but I was going to try some of this plastisol stuff and was wondering, once you get your transfer is there any cutting involved (aroudn your image? or can you just lay the whole thing down and press?

SORRY NEWBIE!!!!
You just lay and press. Then you simply peel away the entire paper transfer backing and you're done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to splathead For This Useful Post:
cheffor (December 4th, 2014), dragonfly0006 (April 3rd, 2008)
Old April 3rd, 2008 Apr 3, 2008 6:23:21 PM -   #53 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

sounds good, I tried another dark transfer tonight and did not have much success with cutting out the letters LOL, I really need to get a cutter!!!

Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 6:59:56 AM -   #54 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: sirabun

Default machine's cost

can i know how much it cost for plastisol machine?

Old May 29th, 2008 May 29, 2008 12:04:13 PM -   #55 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Default Re: machine's cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirabun
can i know how much it cost for plastisol machine?
Plastisol transfers are made with a standard silkscreen press. So if you are silkscreening now, you already have the machine. All you need now is paper, possibly special ink and some powder stuff, I think.

It's not an easy process, even for an experienced silkscreener. That's why most people farm it out to companies who only do plastisol transfers.

The Following User Says Thank You to splathead For This Useful Post:
Luka (June 3rd, 2012)
Old August 13th, 2008 Aug 13, 2008 6:40:25 AM -   #56 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jay

I happened to experiment with Plastisol and create a Design where I had some Mix-Media (my favorite technique), so I created a Vintage Design made in Plastisol then added some foil vinyl transfer and some irregular stitches to experience a 3D look and feeling to this shirt. Now I'm thinking about producing it after a rigorous critique process of course. In other words, Plastisol rules!!!

Old September 9th, 2008 Sep 9, 2008 6:12:02 AM -   #57 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Randy

Plastisol may be overrated! I sent a simple full color design to one of the sites plastisol companies, they wanted $7 per sheet transfer. front back, standard t-shirt size. That did not include shipping. What could be the problem? Anyone know the average cost front back? At the $7 how can a person profit if trying to wholesale them? Seems to me an average wholesale price for a t-shirt is around $5-7.

Old September 9th, 2008 Sep 9, 2008 6:52:52 AM -   #58 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

What are the sizes of your designs?

Since full color is the most expensive design to print (transfer or direct), you can order a higher quantity to bring your per transfer cost down.

Old September 9th, 2008 Sep 9, 2008 7:23:32 AM -   #59 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Front and back design we expect the back to be about 17 inches x 13 inches. front about 14x 11.
being new we were not exactly sure the shirt size we need but seems the back should go from middle of shoulder blade each size. On XXL it seemed about 17 inches. I am guessing we would want 2 sizes to accomodate the med- large adult also.
Being new maybe you can give feedback on how you know what size to make the transfer. I emailed to them the picture, and said front and back. Maybe there was a missunderstanding.

Old September 9th, 2008 Sep 9, 2008 7:25:15 AM -   #60 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Actually they said qty did not matter, it was the area I used makes the cost.

This is a discussion about what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in