[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Like Tree8Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 21st, 2007 Jun 21, 2007 10:10:55 AM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Nathan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

I'm not trying to violate any self promotion rules, I just want to add to and clarify what Mr. 4-Color Process has said. Generally speaking he is correct, I just wanted to add that there are some exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.4ColorProcess
Photograph quality, which is the hardest quality to achieve, can only be printed using the CMYK (4-color process) color scheme. CMYK printing is one of the most expensive printing methods available. Just let your printer know in advance that you'll be pressing your designs on dark garments. ALWAYS SAY BLACK. Your printer will then add a white backing, which is another screen charge, so your design will appear on darker garments. Ask for 4-color process samples to see if your printer can achieve a quality CMYK color scheme. This is one of the hardest methods of printing for heat transfers.
4-color process with a white backer for opacity on lights and darks (black) is available in small quantity plastisol transfers (8-4"x6" sheets being the smallest). Of course it may not be cost effective for most companies until they get up 24 to 32 sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.4ColorProcess
Turn-around time all depends on the amount of business your printer has. Let's be realistic, if you want a rush order, there will be mistakes. Anything you do in a rush has things that are over-looked. Two working weeks should be enough time for your printer to complete your order, no matter how many colors you have in your design.
Standard 3 business day turn around is also available.

The Following User Says Thank You to NathanAnderson For This Useful Post:
MySacNightLife (April 19th, 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2007 Jul 2, 2007 12:11:13 PM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jen

Default Re: what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

I solely use plastisol transfers for my shirts and have been really happy with the quality and durablity of them. My SO has shirts from when I first launched my store (1.5 years ago) that are washed regularly and put in the dryer that look as good as they did the day they were made. Whereas I have screenprinted shirts from other places that started to crack after a few wears/washes. Of course, like with anything - you pay for what you get. I had tested plastisol transfers that were cheaper and they were crap.

If you're planning on doing dark shirts, you'll want to look into transfers done in opaque ink. Which will be a higher cost - but obviously worth it. I print mainly on black shirts and most of my designs have white in them and they look great!

The Following User Says Thank You to sickonsin For This Useful Post:
Fishtank Tees (April 9th, 2013)
Old July 18th, 2007 Jul 18, 2007 3:33:24 PM -   #33 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Thanked 2,491 Times in 2,209 Posts

Is there a shelf life to plastisol transfers?

Old July 18th, 2007 Jul 18, 2007 5:00:37 PM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Nathan

Shelf life should be easily 3-5 years is stored properly. As always, ask your supplier.

Some tips on storage:

Avoid significant temperature swings, i.e. un-insulated garages and under your dryer.

Avoid changes in humidity. Damp basements or areas that have sitting water can cause the carrier sheet (paper) to curl over time.

The Following User Says Thank You to NathanAnderson For This Useful Post:
jinxz (November 28th, 2010)
Old November 11th, 2007 Nov 11, 2007 8:47:08 PM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: jeff

Smile Re: what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Hey Rodney,
Do i have to send my designs to the company, or can i do the whole process myself? So i just get to buy the paper.

Old November 11th, 2007 Nov 11, 2007 10:28:54 PM -   #36 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinyemi
Do i have to send my designs to the company, or can i do the whole process myself? So i just get to buy the paper.
If you can screenprint, you can learn to do it yourself. If you can't screenprint, you need to outsource it to someone who can (like a plastisol transfer printer).

Old November 18th, 2007 Nov 18, 2007 5:35:36 AM -   #37 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: John

Is there an adhesive powder applies before curing of newly screen printed transfer

Old November 28th, 2007 Nov 28, 2007 2:32:45 AM -   #38 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I wonder, I got these really old T-shirts from Superman and E.T. they have photo prints with glittered borders...I know they are transfers but what type I always wondered..

Old November 29th, 2007 Nov 29, 2007 4:19:29 PM -   #39 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,021 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevries
I wonder, I got these really old T-shirts from Superman and E.T. they have photo prints with glittered borders...I know they are transfers but what type I always wondered..
They could be four color process transfers or lithograph transfers or glitter transfers (or a combination).

Old November 30th, 2007 Nov 30, 2007 10:01:06 AM -   #40 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: bren

Default Is Plastisol good for wraparound and all over designs?

We are going to be printing all over and wrap around designs. Is there a limit to the size that the plastisol can print? Also, how many colors can you print on it?

Old November 30th, 2007 Nov 30, 2007 6:18:21 PM -   #41 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default Re: Is Plastisol good for wraparound and all over designs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendad
Is there a limit to the size that the plastisol can print?
The size will depend on who is printing it, but it is possible to make sheets larger than any t-shirt. You'll then need a heat press big enough to press it though (which can also be larger than any t-shirt, but often aren't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendad
Also, how many colors can you print on it?
If you get four colour process transfers done, then perceptually speaking you can have full colour printing (i.e. no limit as such).

Old November 30th, 2007 Nov 30, 2007 6:49:51 PM -   #42 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: bren

Thanks for the answer!

Old January 3rd, 2008 Jan 3, 2008 11:54:38 PM -   #43 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: angela

hi can someone please tell me the tempertaure and amount of seconds used in pressing plastisol to a jersey cotton shirt?

Old January 3rd, 2008 Jan 3, 2008 11:57:14 PM -   #44 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Chani

It depends on the type and manufacturer of your plastisol transfers. Each company will have different settings for their various transfer types.

Old January 12th, 2008 Jan 12, 2008 5:24:01 AM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: cliff

hi,i'm new here and this kind of hobby, is plastisol used a deferent paper or a simple heat transfer paper(iron on) paper can do the job?

can i silkscreen the paper myself?

is there a special ink for plastisol?

why is it that this graphic looks white?sori for the noob question,just wanna learn something new

can anybody give some link for me: tutorial plastisol making,or like that

tanx in advance
scentful likes this.

This is a discussion about what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in