[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[PLASTISOL TRANSFERS] - what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Like Tree8Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 8th, 2007 Mar 8, 2007 9:30:07 AM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jimmy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEatMaKeR
What about heavily detailed photo's? Does this process do well with that sort of thing? Seams those samples you show are very simple and 1-2 colors. My designs often have lots of details and color like a photograph. I'd like to retain the quality and print on dark shirts.
Photograph quality, which is the hardest quality to achieve, can only be printed using the CMYK (4-color process) color scheme. CMYK printing is one of the most expensive printing methods available. Just let your printer know in advance that you'll be pressing your designs on dark garments. ALWAYS SAY BLACK. Your printer will then add a white backing, which is another screen charge, so your design will appear on darker garments. Ask for 4-color process samples to see if your printer can achieve a quality CMYK color scheme. This is one of the hardest methods of printing for heat transfers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoveltyStuff
How long of a turn-around time do we need to allow for the commercial printer to give us our transfers if we order say....1,000. How much do they cost to get printed. That probably depends on number of colors, so say...3 - 4 colors.
Turn-around time all depends on the amount of business your printer has. Let's be realistic, if you want a rush order, there will be mistakes. Anything you do in a rush has things that are over-looked. Two working weeks should be enough time for your printer to complete your order, no matter how many colors you have in your design. The actual cost of your transfers from a manufacturers price depends on the quality of materials that he/she uses. Some places use quality materials, most don't. Screen printing is a very expensive trade to tackle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BOT
with Jumbo Size sheets 25x38 or 28x40, standard turn around is 5-8 days. 1000 sheets is done in one day.

when your art dep. provides ready for screens art, it's quick.
When there are art issues ...well.
1000 sheets of 25x38 (1) color can be printed in about 1.5 hours -- it's the pre-press setup that takes forever. Cutting the sheets in to individual pieces is another time consuming part of the final product.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.4ColorProcess For This Useful Post:
BoydRiver (June 5th, 2013), MySacNightLife (April 19th, 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2007 Mar 8, 2007 10:50:34 AM -   #17 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Lucy

Default Re: what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.4ColorProcess
1000 sheets of 25x38 (1) color can be printed in about 1.5 hours -- it's the pre-press setup that takes forever. Cutting the sheets in to individual pieces is another time consuming part of the final product.
yes Jim

...well we move at a Jamaica pace here, being a hot shop and all.

one day is it.

a few hrs with setups.

a few hrs pressing them.

a few hrs cutting 20 designs and packaging.

a few hrs testing the goods, washing etc.

woops!!! here is Fedex, out the door they go.

that's it. The job and day is done.

....now with the snow storms and call in sicks etc... that delays it some....sometimes.

What takes the longest work hours is getting ready for screens artwork from clients.

Old March 12th, 2007 Mar 12, 2007 4:29:44 PM -   #18 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,021 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoveltyStuff
How long of a turn-around time do we need to allow for the commercial printer to give us our transfers if we order say....1,000. How much do they cost to get printed. That probably depends on number of colors, so say...3 - 4 colors.
You would need to contact the various transfer makers for pricing and turnaround times, as it can vary based on the designs, number of colors, how many can fit on a sheet, etc.

Many of them publish a pricelist on their website (or one you can get via email) that you can use for getting quotes.

Old March 12th, 2007 Mar 12, 2007 4:30:19 PM -   #19 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
[/SIZE]

Curious, are the transfers you tested and displayed photos for above...are they ALL Plastisol Transfers ?
Yes, all are plastisol transfers. Why?

Old April 23rd, 2007 Apr 23, 2007 4:48:50 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: fizz

Default a thread so bumpable, it should be a sticky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney

Hot Peel: Applied with a heat press and peeled immediately after pressing, while the transfer is still hot. Usually has more of a matte look.

Hot Split: Applied with a heat press and peeled immediately after pressing, while the transfer it hot. Some of the ink transfers to the t-shirt and some of the ink stays on the transfer paper causing a "split". This is supposed to give the final design the softest hand with a matte finish.
how does the hot split not dump all of the ink whereas the hot peel does? i'm confused... could somebody help explain the differences? pros / cons?

i usually only see hot peel and not hot split when browsing custom transfer vendors. personally, the hot split seems to be more what i'm looking for.. but i'm interested to hear what the experts have to say!

Old May 3rd, 2007 May 3, 2007 1:53:32 PM -   #21 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: BO

Thanks so much Rodney for this information. I am still learning and I appreciate all the help that you pros are giving on this forum.

Old June 11th, 2007 Jun 11, 2007 8:35:24 AM -   #22 (permalink)
jg
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
But buy an actual silk screen printing press (not to be confused with a heat press).
Can plastisol transfers be successfully done using a heat press?

Thank you

Jim

Old June 11th, 2007 Jun 11, 2007 11:35:23 AM -   #23 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg

Thank you

Jim

yes, to apply the transfers.

Old June 11th, 2007 Jun 11, 2007 12:09:25 PM -   #24 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Willy

Useless, I've only used hot split once. It was described to me as having a"softer" feel. Possibly because it leaves half the ink on the paper, yet still gives the same look. Willy

Old June 11th, 2007 Jun 11, 2007 4:17:28 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Robert

I was talking to a friend awhile back, and he told me that plastisol was extremely toxic ( I assume he meant to the person doing the heat transfer, not the wearer). I can't imagine why that would be the case, unless it was the fumes. Does anybody know anything about this?

Old June 11th, 2007 Jun 11, 2007 5:47:18 PM -   #26 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg
Depends what "done" means. While they can be applied other ways, heat press is the only professional way to apply them. As for printing them, that requires screenprinting equipment. So... yes/no.

Old June 11th, 2007 Jun 11, 2007 5:52:36 PM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-O
I was talking to a friend awhile back, and he told me that plastisol was extremely toxic ( I assume he meant to the person doing the heat transfer, not the wearer). I can't imagine why that would be the case, unless it was the fumes. Does anybody know anything about this?
It depends on the ink, but some screenprinting ink contains various nasties (like formaldehyde for example). While I'm not sure what the risk to a heat press operator would be, it seems likely that there is some. Heating the shirt will cause dye and ink burn off, and the operator is generally in pretty close quarters (and for a home business I dare say often with poor ventilation).

You definitely want good air flow. Modern inks are more or less constantly undergoing improvement, but some are definitely better (safer) than others. If in doubt, get an MSDS (if not in doubt... rethink your self-preservation instincts, and then get an MSDS ).

(and yes, the toxicity is for those involved in the manufacturing process - not the end wearer. I believe it's worst at the ink manufacturing level, but OH&S should be considered at every stage of the manufacturing process)

Old June 18th, 2007 Jun 18, 2007 9:45:12 PM -   #28 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Chani

Quote:
when your art dep. provides ready for screens art, it's quick.
When there are art issues ...well.
How would you go about doing that with a raster file? I understand how to do it with a vector file.

Thanks!

Old June 20th, 2007 Jun 20, 2007 2:13:58 PM -   #29 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

In comparing a actual screen printed shirt vs a plastisol shirt is there a difference in the quality ?
Thanks
Mark

Old June 21st, 2007 Jun 21, 2007 7:55:54 AM -   #30 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird1963
In comparing a actual screen printed shirt vs a plastisol shirt is there a difference in the quality ?
Thanks
Mark
No (they are both shirts printed withs screen printing technology).

I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference with most screen printed designs. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the t-shirts in my closet are actually printed using screen printed plastisol transfers instead of direct screen printing.

There are a few high end design techniques that might be hard with plastisol transfers, but for the most part, they can achieve similar quality.

This is a discussion about what is a plastisol (silk screen printed) heat transfer: a definition that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in