[VINYL TRANSFERS] - Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press - Page 4 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[VINYL TRANSFERS] - Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press

Like Tree10Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 5th, 2007 Feb 5, 2007 5:52:23 PM -   #46 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jim
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Did you buy the one from foxesfarm? I just had a guy call me today about that classifieds ad.
Yes, that is the one.

I was looking at the software that comes with it. The software touts that it will be able to cut around existing artwork even if there is no optical eye. Hmmm, we shall see!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2007 Feb 6, 2007 7:11:29 AM -   #47 (permalink)
bac
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press

Quote:
I'm running Windows XP and CorelDraw X3 and the plugin update was the one I linked to (the one you quoted in your post ). Right here: Download Windows98/95

Were you looking for something else?
ThanX Rodney! No, that's what I'm looking for. I was just confused by the Win 95/98 reference in the link. I'm going to download it now.

ThanX again, Rodney. Once again ... you da man!

... Brad

Old February 8th, 2007 Feb 8, 2007 3:14:47 AM -   #48 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default a vinyl on shirts

ok, if I am understanding this, then if you use vinyl for cutting and heat transfer, it is opaque even on dark shirts? so yellow vinyl on a black t would still be "yellow"? just like a good screen print?
djl

Old February 8th, 2007 Feb 8, 2007 4:19:49 AM -   #49 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default Re: a vinyl on shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlcnmstr
ok, if I am understanding this, then if you use vinyl for cutting and heat transfer, it is opaque even on dark shirts? so yellow vinyl on a black t would still be "yellow"? just like a good screen print?
djl
Yes that is correct...heatpress vinyl is opaque. White or yellow will show perfectly on black shirts.

Old February 8th, 2007 Feb 8, 2007 6:26:48 AM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: John

Default Re: a vinyl on shirts

Quote:
djl
Vinyl will also have a smoother hand than 'regular' screen printing (white on dark T's). You can't feel where the shirt stops and the vinyl starts.
<A screen printer using water base inks might disagree>

Vinyl is a great tool for low volume shirts (12 or less). After 12, the labor makes screen printing a better value.

Old February 8th, 2007 Feb 8, 2007 9:26:39 AM -   #51 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

that s great.
mostly what I was thinking was doing a few hats and shirts here and there for the smaller shows I work on.

Has anyone done caps/hats with vinyl? do the cap presses really work with it?
My mind it starting to spin with the posibilities.....
djl

Old February 10th, 2007 Feb 10, 2007 9:26:37 AM -   #52 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: JB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I use a hix press and it works great with spectra and hotmark 70.

Old February 12th, 2007 Feb 12, 2007 7:18:01 PM -   #53 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: chris
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a viny cutter and a heat press

Rodney
I installed the plug in to corel but Ido not see it in Corel
Is there something special I need to do. I see in your example there is a place under windows but mine does not show that, what do I need to look for?
Also My son is wanting me to print a crown but when I did the crown only the box cut but not the crown. Any ideas.
I exported to a jpeg and then pasted in cut studio but that did not work

Thank you

Old February 12th, 2007 Feb 12, 2007 7:39:36 PM -   #54 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,021 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
I installed the plug in to corel but Ido not see it in Corel
Is there something special I need to do. I see in your example there is a place under windows but mine does not show that, what do I need to look for?
In the plugin installation instructions somewhere, there's a step by step on how to add a shortcut icon/button to coreldraw.

I found it:
http://www.digitalcutters.com/pdfs/G...7;20Manual.pdf

On page 29 of the roland setup manual, it talks about intalling the drivers.

When you insert the CD to install the cutstudio drivers you should see a screen like this:

Don't look at where it's circled in this screen shot

Look at where it says "CorelDraw Plugin" and if you've already clicked in "Install", then click on the "README" file and it will explain how to get the button to show in in coreldraw.

Quote:
Also My son is wanting me to print a crown but when I did the crown only the box cut but not the crown. Any ideas.
I exported to a jpeg and then pasted in cut studio but that did not work
Is the crown already a vector file?

If the crown is a JPG, you'll want to import it into coreldraw and then trace it by right clicking on the JPG crown you just imported and clicking "Trace Bitmap" and then select one of the tracing options like QuickTrace or Detailed Logo.

Once it is converted to a vector, then you should be able to export it to cutstudio.

Old March 4th, 2007 Mar 4, 2007 3:37:31 PM -   #55 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Lucy

very good Jim,

thanks for taking the time to post your project.

Old March 4th, 2007 Mar 4, 2007 6:30:14 PM -   #56 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mark

Jim that design looks great.... If you don't mind I would like to ask a sign making question of you. A customer of mine od interested in buying license plates made of vinyl and aluminum. Sounds easy enough but as I have never done any sign making it brings me to ask, can it be as easy as putting my vinyl design on the aluminum or am I missing something? Thanks for your time.

Mark

Old March 4th, 2007 Mar 4, 2007 7:10:20 PM -   #57 (permalink)
LCE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Eddie

Quote:
I didn't post a screen shot of that step, but you click on the image in cutstudio, then click on the Object menu, and then click Mirror.

Here's a picture of where that menu screen is:

After you click that button it will mirror the image (this screenshot is BEFORE I clicked mirror). After you mirror, you should send it to the cutter.

Rodney,

Thanks for the great post! I finally had the time to open up my GX24 that I purchased from Josh about 3 weeks ago! After reading the GX24 instruction manual, watching the Imprintables' tutorials, and reading your post, setting up the cutter was not too bad at all! I just need to play around with the blade extension and blade force depending on the type of material I am cutting.

However, I do have a couple of questions from you:
1) After you made your cut, did your blade look like it "moved"? I mean, did it get pushed in a little? I think mine moved after I did my cut. I will check with Josh also regarding this.
2) Do you know what kind of vinyl Rowland provided as a Test-Use Material? I am looking into getting some of those vinyl (decal type) materials to print some decals for my business.
3) Do you know where I can buy them?

I hope to test the optic eye feature of the cutter sometime this week or early next week! After that, time to open the Phoenix Phire Heat Press!

Thanks!
LCE

Old March 4th, 2007 Mar 4, 2007 9:35:47 PM -   #58 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Rodney,

I am in awe of you! Your thoroughness and ability to clearly communicate to other is priceless! I applaud you and thank you so very, very much! You just saved me months and months of research and from making potentially costly mistakes.

Newbie NoveltyStuff

Old March 4th, 2007 Mar 4, 2007 9:44:38 PM -   #59 (permalink)
LCE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Eddie

Quote:
decals? do you mean the kind you see on cars and trucks or the water slip kind or is "decal" a buzz word for all stick on vinyl? -- can you tell I'm sorta new too?

You're in So cal so you can get regular sign and auto vinyl at several local places. McLogan has several locations, SignMart is good and Ordway is local to us as well. Not endorsing anyone specifically, those just come to mind. They all have websites too so you can check them out before you call or visit.
djl
I am looking for the vinyl rolls that people use for stickers that you see on car windows. I am planning on printing my logos on them and give some to my friends for advertising.

Old March 4th, 2007 Mar 4, 2007 10:11:03 PM -   #60 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCE
I am looking for the vinyl rolls that people use for stickers that you see on car windows. I am planning on printing my logos on them and give some to my friends for advertising.
I believe Oracle 651 is a popular material used for this (at least what I get from my window decal sources).

Signwarehouse (Vinyl Banners, Sign Making Supplies, Vinyl Cutters, Wide Format Color Printers & Laser Engravers) is one source for this material.

This is a discussion about Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in