[VINYL TRANSFERS] - Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[VINYL TRANSFERS] - Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press

Like Tree10Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 30th, 2007 Jan 30, 2007 6:05:54 PM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press

Made my first vinyl design today but had a weird problem. Brought design up in corelDRAW, sized it, put a rectangle around it and sent it to cutstudio. In cutstudio I made sure the design looked ok and was proper size and had rectangle. When the roland was done cutting I quickly learned that it did not cut very right 1/4 inch of the design and the right side of the rectangle. I checked everything again and even hit the print button on a printer and it printed the whole design. Does anyone see any obvious mistakes?

Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2007 Jan 30, 2007 6:15:20 PM -   #32 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Lucy

Default Re: Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press

i don't use the same equip. as you, the cutters we use and software are custom made sort of so Im guessing in the dark here.

Is there a starting point of origin setting on your cutter or software ? if so, than set it to start at X and finish at the other X. This way all of the graphic within the X perimiters will be included in the cut.

sorry, it could be a number of things.....some brilliant peeps will come along soon and give you more trouble shooting relatives.

Old January 30th, 2007 Jan 30, 2007 6:18:34 PM -   #33 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

badalou's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lou

I am lucky I use my wife old dental tools for weeding. She was Hygienist for 30 years. I think some of my blood is still on the tools. She was not nice when I p---ed her off. I also have to be careful and remember there are points on both ends. Weeding tools are being sold for about 24 bucks.

Old January 30th, 2007 Jan 30, 2007 6:34:24 PM -   #34 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Lucy

you may know this already Lou but, if you roll and un-roll/play around with the material with your hands, the cut parts should lift right up. ...and use a little need to get under it to help lift it up.

Old January 30th, 2007 Jan 30, 2007 7:25:46 PM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Made my first vinyl design today but had a weird problem. Brought design up in corelDRAW, sized it, put a rectangle around it and sent it to cutstudio. In cutstudio I made sure the design looked ok and was proper size and had rectangle. When the roland was done cutting I quickly learned that it did not cut very right 1/4 inch of the design and the right side of the rectangle. I checked everything again and even hit the print button on a printer and it printed the whole design. Does anyone see any obvious mistakes?

Mark
Sounds like your design ran off the right edge of the cutting area.

When you load your material and press the enter, the cutter moves to the left and measures the distance between the pinch rollers. That is now the 'page size' for your design.
You need to now move the cutting head to the lower left corner of the material and press and hold the 'Origin' button. It will flash to confirm the setting.

The design on your computer should be moved to the lower left of the pallet. As long as the pallet matches the cutting size of your material, you shouldn't have any problems running off the right edge.

When you finish a cut, remember to reposition your cutter to the lower left and set the 'Origin' or it will start cutting in the middle of your material.

Old January 31st, 2007 Jan 31, 2007 4:05:31 PM -   #36 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: chris
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney

CREATING THE DESIGN

press):

From there I just clicked on the "Cutting" button in CutStudio which sent the design to the cutter.

After some speedy slick slicing, the Roland cutter gave me this:

If you put your face REAL close to the monitor, you can see my design cut out of the vinyl. A bit closer. There you go.

WEEDING THE DESIGN

I removed my vinyl piece from the cutter and removed the rectangle from around the design:

Then I got to know the "joy of weeding" I probably should have tried a simpler graphic my first time out...but hey, what fun is that!

To be honest, the weeding wasn't that bad. It was actually a bit relaxing.

It took me about 10 minutes to get to this:

Flip it around, and you can see the sparklies:

(sorry for the bad photo there)

Hi Rodney
In the picture where it shows the word vinyl on the cutstudio it is not mirrored, where do you mirror the image when you go to cutting?

Thanks
Teresa

Last edited by Rodney; January 31st, 2007 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: fixed quote marks

Old January 31st, 2007 Jan 31, 2007 4:12:18 PM -   #37 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Steven
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

law dog - In cut studio, before you do any cutting, go to file - cutting setup -properties - get from machine. this will load the sheet size that the machine has sensed with the optical eye into your computer. after you press ok then ok again, it will resize the sheet on your computer screen to show you the cuttable area you have availible. If this was the cause for your 1/4 not being cut as I suspect, you should be able to correct it.

Martinwoods - Nice first design and welcome to the roland world!

Old January 31st, 2007 Jan 31, 2007 4:13:37 PM -   #38 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Steven
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Martinwoods - to mirror the image in cut studio, select the image and then choose object and then mirror from the menu above. this should do the trick for you. Hope all this helps!

Old January 31st, 2007 Jan 31, 2007 4:36:40 PM -   #39 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: chris
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve2699
your 1/4 not being cut as I suspect, you should be able to correct it.

Martinwoods - Nice first design and welcome to the roland world!
Sorry but that is Rodneys design I was just showing it to ask my question about mirroring
I am still learning and have not done my test shirt yet.

Thanks
Hopefully I will have a test shirt soon though

Old January 31st, 2007 Jan 31, 2007 6:43:47 PM -   #40 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,021 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinwoods
Sorry but that is Rodneys design I was just showing it to ask my question about mirroring
I am still learning and have not done my test shirt yet.

Thanks
Hopefully I will have a test shirt soon though
I didn't post a screen shot of that step, but you click on the image in cutstudio, then click on the Object menu, and then click Mirror.

Here's a picture of where that menu screen is:

After you click that button it will mirror the image (this screenshot is BEFORE I clicked mirror). After you mirror, you should send it to the cutter.

Old February 4th, 2007 Feb 4, 2007 4:57:19 PM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Jim

Rodney,
Thanks for the excellent example!

I just ordered: Master XY-380 32" (800 mm) Before reading your example.

I got the cutter NIB from T-Shirt Forums classified area. One of my computer customers is a sign shop. They recommended a cutter as part of a good T-Shirt business for just the reasons already posted here.

Thanks again.
Jim

Old February 5th, 2007 Feb 5, 2007 10:35:44 AM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: zzbliss

Rodney Ammmmmmmmazing just what i need to know to get started...as usuall u Rock!

Old February 5th, 2007 Feb 5, 2007 12:19:30 PM -   #43 (permalink)
bac
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
CUTTING THE DESIGN

After I had it all nice and perfect, I clicked on the handy dandy CutStudio button that showed up on coreldrawX3 after I installed the upgrade from Roland:
Hey Rodney. What operating system are you running? I'm running XP, and cannot find a Corel plug-in update for the Win XP o/s on Roland's site. I've also e-mailed Roland with no luck.

ThanX for any help you can throw my way, Rodney!

Old February 5th, 2007 Feb 5, 2007 3:18:42 PM -   #44 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac
Hey Rodney. What operating system are you running? I'm running XP, and cannot find a Corel plug-in update for the Win XP o/s on Roland's site. I've also e-mailed Roland with no luck.

ThanX for any help you can throw my way, Rodney!
I'm running Windows XP and CorelDraw X3 and the plugin update was the one I linked to (the one you quoted in your post ). Right here: Download Windows98/95

Were you looking for something else?

Old February 5th, 2007 Feb 5, 2007 3:19:33 PM -   #45 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech
Rodney,
Thanks for the excellent example!

I just ordered: Master XY-380 32" (800 mm) Before reading your example.

I got the cutter NIB from T-Shirt Forums classified area. One of my computer customers is a sign shop. They recommended a cutter as part of a good T-Shirt business for just the reasons already posted here.

Thanks again.
Jim
Did you buy the one from foxesfarm? I just had a guy call me today about that classifieds ad.

This is a discussion about Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in