[VINYL TRANSFERS] - Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie
This section of the forum is where Rodney, a die hard screen printing fan, journeys into the world of heat press and heat transfers. Coming from the perspective of a complete heat press newbie making t-shirts for the first time. Jump right in :)

[VINYL TRANSFERS] - Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press

Like Tree10Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 13th, 2007 Jan 13, 2007 3:33:27 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: chris
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a viny cutter and a heat press

Rodney the shirt looks great
I bought a Roland in December but haven't got to try it out yet. We were in Vegas for the PPAI show, so we are hoping to get it going this week.
I will probably have lots of questions.
Thanks to everyone on the board for the great info

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2007 Jan 13, 2007 5:29:28 PM -   #17 (permalink)
Extravaganza Winner
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Robert
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a viny cutter and a heat press

Rodney I think you did a great job on that shirt. It looks good. Now in the future, I think you and Lou should team up for a video.

Old January 13th, 2007 Jan 13, 2007 6:06:40 PM -   #18 (permalink)
Extravaganza Winner
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Robert
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoskinGraphix
I hear ya on that one...each weed is about twenty minutes...should have ordered transfers for this job.

Hard to see in the photo but some of the logo fine lettering is less than a quarter inch tall.
Wouch! Do you get many orders for that kind of work? How many did you have to do?

Old January 14th, 2007 Jan 14, 2007 7:38:07 AM -   #19 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
Wouch! Do you get many orders for that kind of work? How many did you have to do?
I get many car club type shirt orders. In the tuner car market and events those logos are called roll calls. roll calls are generally all the products endorsed or utilized in the show cars we market with. I usually dont get shirt orders with that much information but you can see vinyl does a great job with verbage. These folks found me at Autorama Houston in November. I think they are going to love the gear. The front will have a 4.5 inch left breast logo design. The total order was 14 t-shirts and 10 hoodies with a different design. As with any order I expect at least another order after the gear gets delivered....the Oh man I want one factor.

Old January 15th, 2007 Jan 15, 2007 2:54:18 PM -   #20 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,021 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Maybe if you are feeling adventurous in the near future, you can give it a try, post the results in a thread and let us see how that works as well........ (Big smile)
I plan to try out and document as many of the processes as I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I hear ya on that one...each weed is about twenty minutes...should have ordered transfers for this job.

Hard to see in the photo but some of the logo fine lettering is less than a quarter inch tall.
Man, that looks both relaxing and scary

Quote:
The total order was 14 t-shirts and 10 hoodies with a different design.
Were all the back designs the same?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rodney For This Useful Post:
MarkWatkins (January 19th, 2012)
Old January 16th, 2007 Jan 16, 2007 10:48:25 AM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: moses
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Nice results Rodney,
I have yet to set up my plotter/cutter but I am no longer scared to tackle such for you have inspired me by seeing the great results that you got. Good luck and thanks for sharing your experiences with the forum members, much appreciation.

Old January 16th, 2007 Jan 16, 2007 11:16:15 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Jose
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

See? It's not just me. Pressure settings are totally subjective until you can measure them directly off the press. I'm going to talk to you about this at the ISS show Josh!

Oh, and the paper trick won't work if your press is not producing even pressure all around. Check it first!

Old January 16th, 2007 Jan 16, 2007 2:24:19 PM -   #23 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
See? It's not just me. Pressure settings are totally subjective until you can measure them directly off the press. I'm going to talk to you about this at the ISS show Josh!
What days are you going to at the show, Jose?

What are you doing to keep the pressure marks off your pressed shirts?

Old January 16th, 2007 Jan 16, 2007 2:37:33 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
What days are you going to at the show, Jose?
Friday after work and Saturday after my trail run. I was planning on stopping by at noon on Sat at the imprintables booth. I'd be up for a beer or two on either night at Rock Bottom or at the Yard House. The Dubliner might be more fun though. It's on Pine and only a little further than the Yard House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
What are you doing to keep the pressure marks off your pressed shirts?
For cotton - Less pressure!
For poly - Still working on it. They don't wash out unfortunately.

Last edited by Moo Spot Prints; January 16th, 2007 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: That's Rock BOTTOM, not FOTTOM

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 1:52:54 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Rebecca

Red face Re: Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press

I'm interested in a vinyl cutter but I have no experience with them at all.

I was really surprised to see that they do such small detail like the shirt that MotoskinGraphix posted earlier in this thread... do most/all of them cut small details like that or are their certain ones that specifically do that? How small of letters can it cut?

Right now all I use is inkjet transfers so if I invest in a cutter I'm thinking I would want one with the optical eye so I could use it to trim those also.

Does anyone have any suggestions for brands/models I should look into?
As far as what I will need.... I do the shirts on a small scale so I am looking for something as inexpensive as possible... but I don't want to get the cheapest thing I can find and end up with a piece of junk!! Basically... The quality of the finished product is the most important thing to me. I don't need anything super-fast, since I do such small quantities... and I also don't need the ability to do anything especially large since all I plan to do is t-shirts and maybe a few stickers for car windows. I am just beginning my search so any suggestions are appreciated!!

~REBECCA~

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 2:18:48 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: John

Default Re: Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888
I was really surprised to see that they do such small detail like the shirt that MotoskinGraphix posted earlier in this thread... do most/all of them cut small details like that or are their certain ones that specifically do that? How small of letters can it cut?
They will cut very small letters, but you go crazy trying to weed out the vinyl between the little bitty letters. Big is good, small is pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888
Does anyone have any suggestions for brands/models I should look into?
We have a whole new section on cutters. Start looking through the posts and googling the model numbers that you run across. I have a Roland GX-24 (same as Rodney and others here)

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/vinyl-c...ers-transfers/

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 2:23:24 PM -   #27 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Default Re: Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press

You may get better responses posting a new thread, but:

Most cutters can cut fine letters fairly well AFAIK, though some of the cheaper ones may have diffuclty with them. The main problem with cutting small details with a vinyl cutter is that it becomes very time intensive to weed (remove) the excess vinyl from the design.

By default, you cannot cut normal heat transfer paper with a vinyl cutter - only opaque paper. However, you can get a special mylar backing to apply to traditional heat transfer paper that will allow it to be cut with a vinyl cutter.

You will probably want to stick to either Roland, Graphtec, or Summa as far as manufacturers go. Generally 24" is the lowest people recommend when getting a new cutter for a business, because while you may not need it now it will offer flexibility for growth in the future.

The Roland GX-24 is especially popular in this crowd because Josh from Imprintables is offering a discount to t-shirt forums members, and he's been very helpful answering questions around here as well.

Old January 23rd, 2007 Jan 23, 2007 2:27:51 PM -   #28 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Rebecca --

you can spend anywhere from $399 to $1700 for a cutter. Any of the name brands should be fine -- Graphtek, Roland, etc.

You *could* start with the little craftrobo but you will probably outgrow it fairly quickly. I have the bigger 15" version and I'm very happy with it. Every post I've read has been highly favorable to the Roland. Do some searching and see what people are saying.

How small can you cut? Small. These machines are very good. Basically it can cut whatever you could with an x-acto knife, but better. The problem isn't how small it can cut but how good you are at weeding. The thinner the strip the the harder it becomes to separate it from the rest of the vinyl and keep them on the backing. I've done some 1/16". I realized I was getting old during that ordeal. Ended up buying a lamp with a built in magnifiying glass!

Old January 29th, 2007 Jan 29, 2007 9:50:41 PM -   #29 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

erm..i'm a newbie to t-shirt designing...
i would like to ask that what material needed to make my own t-shirt??
thx..ur kindly feedback is appreciated..thx

Old January 30th, 2007 Jan 30, 2007 8:31:57 AM -   #30 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
i would like to ask that what material needed to make my own t-shirt??
thx..ur kindly feedback is appreciated..thx
What kind of t-shirt do you want to make? What kind of design?

You can see from my original post what materials and equipment I used to create the t-shirt in this thread if that's of any help.

This is a discussion about Making my first custom t-shirt with cut vinyl, a vinyl cutter and a heat press that was posted in the T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in