Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt News and Articles > T-Shirt Articles
T-Shirt Articles, Interviews, How-To Instructions and Reviews covering a variety of subjects related to t-shirts.

White on Black with a Single Stroke - No Flash

Share This Thread Article Tools
Bill Hood
Published by Bill Hood
September 30th, 2008
Default White on Black with a Single Stroke - No Flash

This brief video will show you how to print white ink on a black shirt with a single stroke and no flash. There is no need to print using multiple strokes or to print/flash/print (or worse!).

Think about it. If you are using just two strokes to print white ink, you can double your production with this technique. Worse, if you are using a print/flash/print technique, you can expect to produce 4 to 5 times as many shirts in the same amount of time.

The most important question you should be asking yourself is - What am I going to do with all that extra time and/or money?

Open your mind, watch the video and learn how to control the screenprinting process more successfully.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2008 Sep 30, 2008 2:50:35 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ridgely
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: White on Black with a Single Stroke - No Flash

Thanks for the video. The push stroke is a hidden secret to success with white! It's what we've been taught to use. It works.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to out da box For This Useful Post:
chunkylover88 (October 21st, 2009), splathead (October 1st, 2008), wc33144 (February 12th, 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2008 Oct 1, 2008 6:51:58 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Bill Hood
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by out da box
Thanks for the video. The push stroke is a hidden secret to success with white! It's what we've been taught to use. It works.
Congratulations on your success. Yes, surprisingly, although pushing a squeegee is much better in a number of ways, you'd be amazed at the number of people at trade shows where I give demonstrations who say, "I can't change the way I print after all these years of pulling a squeegee!" Here is an email that I received just yesterday from a printer:

"Yes, I got it. I must say I see your point, but I'm pretty sure I'll never, ever push a squeegee, it's just too uncomfortable (for me. I've been printing since '72). Thanks, and have a good day."

Some people simply refuse to make the changes, any changes, that will bring them success. It reminds me of that old Indian phrase, "TTWWADI" (pronounced tawaddie) which stands for "That's the we've always done it!" The printer above has been printing for 36 years and is still not successful enough to hire someone to do what he does, so he can work "on" his business instead of "in" his business.

Success comes from a lot of things, but innovation plays a very big part. Those who constantly work at finding better ways to do the work, will find success much quicker than those who just keep on doing things the same old way.

Thanks for the comment.

Bill Hood

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Hood For This Useful Post:
Abrilboo (August 14th, 2011), chaotica (September 13th, 2011), ChipShank (October 15th, 2011), doskalata (May 23rd, 2010), midwaste (April 7th, 2009), ncpawprinter (March 4th, 2013), ryan_v (October 15th, 2009), sparkyfirepants (January 21st, 2013), splathead (October 1st, 2008), sugiarto (December 20th, 2012), wc33144 (February 12th, 2009), Zenergy (April 19th, 2011)
Old November 2nd, 2008 Nov 2, 2008 1:15:51 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: nathan

Thank you for the useful information!

Old November 11th, 2008 Nov 11, 2008 12:59:55 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: sid

can I please see the video I have a errible time with white on dark colors - Sid

Old November 11th, 2008 Nov 11, 2008 5:10:53 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney505050
can I please see the video I have a errible time with white on dark colors - Sid
Just click on the video thumbnail above

Old November 11th, 2008 Nov 11, 2008 9:07:26 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John

Excellent info! I'm going to give it a try....

I visited your sight to review your other videos and I couldn't click on any of them.

Just and FYI....

Thanks Bill

Old November 21st, 2008 Nov 21, 2008 2:07:37 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Andrea

We have an automatic now and don't use a manual press. Can you do a push motion with an auto?

Andrea

Old November 21st, 2008 Nov 21, 2008 3:21:51 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ridgely

Andrea, good question. I don't know of any autos that push, but I've got to find a way to get nice bright opaque underbases with 1 pass. May try coating some scrrens, drying, then face coating and see if I can get a thicker deposit.

Old December 5th, 2008 Dec 5, 2008 12:13:28 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: kevin

why cant i see the video?

Old December 5th, 2008 Dec 5, 2008 5:31:56 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 2,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikimedia
why cant i see the video?
It's there. Here is the direct link at youtube
If you still can't see it, go to youtube and search on bill hood silkscreen.

Old December 5th, 2008 Dec 5, 2008 9:24:47 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

ive seen it but now i can't seem to get it to work - does the emulsion need to be thicker?

sweatshirts are really a problem. - it does work with front stroke pressing ink in then flash then front stroke and finally the backward stroke. great white but doing this my reg sometimes fails and that's what i want to avoid.

Old February 12th, 2009 Feb 12, 2009 1:33:37 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Bill Hood
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
ive seen it but now i can't seem to get it to work - does the emulsion need to be thicker?

sweatshirts are really a problem. - it does work with front stroke pressing ink in then flash then front stroke and finally the backward stroke. great white but doing this my reg sometimes fails and that's what i want to avoid.
Sidney, there are a good number of things that you must do to achieve success in printing white on black. Perhaps the most important thing you will ever learn in screenprinting, besides that the customer pays for everything, is that the wet ink deposit is always equal to the stencil thickness.

All mesh manufacturers publish a "mesh specification guide" that gives the Theoretical Ink Volume (TIV) for each mesh count/thread diameter. This is a great guide for achieving the right amount of ink on a single print. If you make a single pass and determine that you need about 20-percent more ink, why print another 100-percent when you can simply move to a mesh count that gives a 20-percent increase in TIV and be done with it?

You do not need to keep making the same error over and over again. Simply make the necessary change to effect the results that you want to achieve.

Albert Einstein defined insanity as, "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Learn from your errors and make the changes today!

The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Hood For This Useful Post:
chaotica (September 13th, 2011)
Old February 13th, 2009 Feb 13, 2009 6:13:43 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

thanks for the info! I figured that out already so simple but yet I was so stupid about it for awhile - Ink looks great now but in my great hurry and fun that I was doing great - I printed all the shirts perfectly at an angle - SWEATSHIRTS ARE EXPENSIVE TO PRINT TWICE. But I learned a lot during this run thanks for all your help. - Sid

Old February 13th, 2009 Feb 13, 2009 7:42:47 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 2,219 Posts

Quote:
but in my great hurry and fun that I was doing great - I printed all the shirts perfectly at an angle - SWEATSHIRTS ARE EXPENSIVE TO PRINT TWICE. But I learned a lot during this run thanks for all your help. - Sid
One crooked print is a mistake. All prints crooked is just setting a trend.

The Following User Says Thank You to splathead For This Useful Post:
torodesigns (April 6th, 2009)

This is a discussion about White on Black with a Single Stroke - No Flash that was posted in the T-Shirt Articles section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Article Tools