Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt News and Articles > T-Shirt Articles
T-Shirt Articles, Interviews, How-To Instructions and Reviews covering a variety of subjects related to t-shirts.

T-shirt Design: How to print like a fashion brand

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By limey
  • 1 Post By motser909
  • 1 Post By anupdh02
  • 1 Post By getub

Share This Thread Article Tools
Published by Printsome
January 16th, 2014
Default T-shirt Design: How to print like a fashion brand

Fashion changes every season, new collections come and go every 3 months and, as consumers, we buy into this system. T-shirt design, on the other hand, has a different rhythm. Though t-shirts are an important part of our everyday outfit, trends in t-shirt design often get less attention than other pieces of clothing, such as dresses, coats or even shoes. It’s okay, t-shirts are still loved from London do Shanghai and although summer is naturally the biggest season, being a complement to highlight another piece of clothing the rest of the year is still good, isn’t it?

If you’re a t-shirt designer wanting to create your own clothing line, you probably don’t have access to the same resources – budget and production-wise – as a big fashion label. Therefore, it’s understandable that, even when printing in bulk (at least 100 units per t-shirt design), you won’t have much room for big expenses. Although bringing your t-shirt design to life has these financial and logistic limitations, it’s still possible to achieve a high-quality print at a reasonable price, which is important and will help you keep a good margin in the sales column and add value to your new born brand.

A while ago I wrote some tips for designing & selling your t-shirts. That article focused on different things you can do to create and promote your new t-shirt design brand, such as getting good quality promotional images, creating your own online store or even how to get good t-shirt design inspiration around the web. Of course all the advice in the world won’t do much if you don’t have a good final product to sell.

It is definitely possible to achieve high-quality t-shirt printing and get the most out of unit sales in spite of a low budget. For that, a little planning and good printing advice/consultation is all you need. That, and a good graphic designer, if you’re not one yourself.

Below I’ll analyse how some fashion brands use t-shirt design and printing techniques to create their products and hopefully it can be of inspiration for your future custom clothing projects. Also, while reading, you need to always have in mind the 3 basic laws of T-shirt printing:

1. The higher the quantity, the more cost-effective if will be per unit.
2. Most designs require 100% vectored artwork in order to achieve a high-quality print, such as the one you get from a perfect screen printing.
3. The more complex your t-shirt design, the more costly it will be to print.

Kenzo
Their iconic flying tiger has recently been displayed on a large variety of custom clothing this season. On the women’s t-shirts, the fashion brand used a 4-colour screen print (black, purple, light yellow and golden yellow) onto blue to create their design. This technique picks up every detail of the design, including the distorted elements. On the men’s white version, which sells for around £80 per t-shirt, 5 colours were used: black, red, yellow and 2 different shades of blue. On big quantities, printing in bulk gives you room to use more colours, and add more detail to the final print, which brings a unique illustration to life.

Superdry
This British brand that fuses American and Japanese influences, uses bright colours in combination with excellent typography to create their hoodies, t-shirts and other printed clothing. Soft, fitted garments combined with colourful designs make their clothing stand out in the urban environment.

Their big graphics are printed with a traditional screen printing or sometimes Puff Print technique. Referred to as Puff Prints or Expantex Print, this printing technique includes an additive which is used on the ink during the screen printing process that expands as it heats creating a 3d effect. Using up to 4 colours depending on the design, these techniques make most Superdry products very cost-effective and easy to reproduce.

Dolce & Gabbana
Like the saints t-shirt below, Dolce & Gabbana sometimes use an all over print for their designs which would be very difficult for the general public or a start-up brand to replicate as it requires the fabric to be printed before manufacturing. Aside from these garments, the Italian fashion brand uses icons such as Al Pacino, James Dean and the Virgin Mary with extra soft feel garments and a clean fashion cut to design their t-shirts. The retail price varies from 165€ to 395€ at their online store. Direct to Garment printing (DTG) does the job for the photographic side (Al Pacino) and that combined with some beautiful embroidery work (Virgin) completes the t-shirt design.

Abercrombie & Fitch
This American clothing giant mixes traditional screen printing (with platisol), water based screen printing and embroidery to achieve their t-shirt design quality. Some of the vintage designs can also be reproduced with Direct to Garment printing, like the one with the beer jar and the red cup. Most of their designs are very simple and use typography with bright colours to make them easily to identifiable with the brand, like Superdry does.

American Apparel
With big photographs & graphics, the brand makes the most out of great screen printing to reproduce their t-shirt printing designs. They use a technology called Power Wash, which features an enzyme wash treatment that simulates 40 typical laundry cycles and gives the garment a unique, super soft feel. Though this technology is not available for regular customers, it can be reproduced with naturally soft garments and Direct to Garment printing. This printing technique produces the softest feel possible for photographic & full colour images. We can also see some 1-colour designs with puff prints, similar to those from Superdry, which seem to be very popular at the time of writing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2014 Jan 16, 2014 8:14:49 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: T-shirt Design: How to print like a fashion brand

Thanks you for the effort you put into the above article.
I agree that you can take your Brands to a very close level if not even superior level to those above without the huge budgets that they have.
However as always it is the money in the Marketing that will take some Brands to worldwide fame while others die in the first year.
I am English living in USA. I went back to the UK a few years ago and all the kids were wearing this Brand and wasnt overly impressed with it's originality but as always the budget to Market will win out in the end.
Please share more great articles if you get the time.

Respectfully

Sean
Printsome likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2014 Jan 16, 2014 8:21:06 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Printsome

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your interest, we are always sharing our T-shirt articles from our blog which are fairly regular. Do you work in the T-shirt printing industry?

Old January 16th, 2014 Jan 16, 2014 8:25:58 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I will PM you, to keep forum uncluttered.Thanks

Old January 16th, 2014 Jan 16, 2014 8:56:46 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Great post!! thanks
Printsome likes this.

Old January 17th, 2014 Jan 17, 2014 12:59:19 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

awesome post...good to read the article !
Printsome likes this.

Old January 17th, 2014 Jan 17, 2014 1:39:38 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Printsome

Thanks guys, always good to know that we are writing stuff that you like! We will be back with more soon.

Have a great friday, and enjoy the weekend!

The Following User Says Thank You to Printsome For This Useful Post:
motser909 (January 17th, 2014)
Old January 17th, 2014 Jan 17, 2014 7:35:07 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Get

It is very interesting to uncover designer t-shirt secrets. I know it is hard to put this all together - thank you for that.

Hoping for more t-shirt design secrets
Printsome likes this.

Old February 11th, 2016 Feb 11, 2016 2:26:40 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: silk

Quote:
Originally Posted by getub
It is very interesting to uncover designer t-shirt secrets. I know it is hard to put this all together - thank you for that.

Hoping for more t-shirt design secrets
I am very impressed by this site and really gonna share this site to my friends.

Thanks for sharing.....

Last edited by splathead; February 11th, 2016 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: Removed website link. Feel free to create a Signature and place it there.

Old June 15th, 2017 Jun 15, 2017 2:53:40 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

I have started my t-shirt business some month ago. I have explored a lot of websites of suppliers of t-shirts and started to work with [url]http://www.bellacanvas.com/[/url] company. The company has a huge wide of high-quality t-shirts and a good customer support. I can recommend the company.

Old July 11th, 2017 Jul 11, 2017 8:59:26 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

You can call me: Devid

Awesome article. Get the idea of my new blog post . Thanks for sharing.

Old July 13th, 2017 Jul 13, 2017 6:24:56 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Kristin

Thank you for sharing. This was very helpful... please share more you really explained in great detail... Much appreciated...

Old July 17th, 2017 Jul 17, 2017 3:20:07 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Aldora

Nowadays anyone can do that because there are many online t-shirt stores available which provides online t-shirt design by yourself. If you want to create your own ideas on tees then its best option for you. just do it by yourself with creative minds.

Old November 15th, 2017 Nov 15, 2017 1:09:17 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

cool designs

Old 37 Minutes Ago Aug 21, 2019 4:05:41 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: linnea

Wonderful t-shirts and I really like the way of printing like a fashion brand. It can easily attract individuals.

This is a discussion about T-shirt Design: How to print like a fashion brand that was posted in the T-Shirt Articles section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Article Tools