Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt News and Articles > T-Shirt Articles
T-Shirt Articles, Interviews, How-To Instructions and Reviews covering a variety of subjects related to t-shirts.

Roland BN20 VersaStudio installation and review

Like Tree23Likes

Share This Thread Article Tools
Old September 22nd, 2011 Sep 22, 2011 6:15:03 AM -  
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Steven
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Roland BN20 VersaStudio installation and review

I recently had the opportunity to install 2 of the new Roland BN20 VersaStudio desktop printer / cutters. There have been many inquiries and requests for information and a "real" assessment of how well these units perform and if it is really a viable solution to different problems they have been...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2011 Oct 27, 2011 9:34:48 PM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Danny
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: Roland BN20 VersaStudio installation and review

Hey Steve

I am very impressed with the VersaStudio. I want one so bad I can taste it. However, I would like to see more video's of it actually printing and cutting. I am ALMOST convinced but need just a little more nudging.
How about uploading some videos of the unit getting a really good workout.

One thing that does concern me is the maintenance required. What is the maintenance? Another issue for me on other systems is that I would not be printing every day. Would this create a problem with clogging?

By the way, I have watched all your videos on you tube and liked what I saw. I read some where that you are all over the country, if you make it Kentucky, let me know.

Thanks
Dan
marzatplay likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2011 Oct 28, 2011 1:39:16 PM -   #31 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infopub
Hey Steve

I am very impressed with the VersaStudio. I want one so bad I can taste it. However, I would like to see more video's of it actually printing and cutting. I am ALMOST convinced but need just a little more nudging.
How about uploading some videos of the unit getting a really good workout.

One thing that does concern me is the maintenance required. What is the maintenance? Another issue for me on other systems is that I would not be printing every day. Would this create a problem with clogging?

By the way, I have watched all your videos on you tube and liked what I saw. I read some where that you are all over the country, if you make it Kentucky, let me know.

Thanks
Dan
Dan,
I don't have a unit available right now but should have one in a week or so and will take a some videos and post them up for you. It is slow but it performs very well. I will make sure i put it through the paces for you.

The maintenance is pretty easy and not much is involved by the user. The machine will start itself up once a day, do an environmental check, and then a self cleaning on the head to maintain it clean and moist. It purges a micro burst of ink while doing this. The end user will perform a manual cleaning about every two weeks or so (read this as they will actually do it once a month or longer ) that is run via the software and walks you through it step by step. Very easy and can be completed in about 5 minutes or so. To be truthful, my machines get used every day but get cleaned about once a month as I teach a workshop on them and demonstrate how it is done. Do as I say, not as I do I guess!

For the clogging I will say that I have a VS300 with white and metallic ink that I purposely left unplugged for 3 weeks to prevent it from cleaning itself and then once I plugged it back in, ran the self cleaning and an automated normal cleaning (software driven with no user interaction) and then ran test prints from it. No clogged nozzles and it printed perfectly. These machines are very user friendly and perform very well.

Thanks for checking out the videos! I hope that they help. I always take requests and try to get them done as much as possible so let me know if there is something that we might be able to video for you. I have not been to Kentucky for a while but if I am down that way, I will let ya know! I am always up for visiting a new shop and seeing how everyone gets things done. I learn just as much from my travels as I do teaching to others.

Thanks!

Steven
CopperEve likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to scuba_steve2699 For This Useful Post:
visionalfreeman (October 26th, 2013)
Old October 30th, 2011 Oct 30, 2011 7:16:12 PM -   #32 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

What is the turnkey price of the 20?

Old October 31st, 2011 Oct 31, 2011 2:48:45 AM -   #33 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfalsetto
What is the turnkey price of the 20?
It lists for $8500 alone. I can send you a turnkey quote if you would like. Send me a pm with your info and I will get it right over.

Old November 7th, 2011 Nov 7, 2011 11:24:24 AM -   #34 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Hallo,
I had only one question. I know that the main problem with ink printers solvent or direct printing is that they must be use couple times a day. If you leave it for 2-3 day the ink will dry and ruin printing part (i dont know the english word 4 it). Do any one who have this printer can say that i can print couple graphic and leave it for a week and nothing will happend?

Old November 8th, 2011 Nov 8, 2011 7:41:42 AM -   #35 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacidus
Hallo,
I had only one question. I know that the main problem with ink printers solvent or direct printing is that they must be use couple times a day. If you leave it for 2-3 day the ink will dry and ruin printing part (i dont know the english word 4 it). Do any one who have this printer can say that i can print couple graphic and leave it for a week and nothing will happend?
The printer will do a self maintenance once a day to keep the heads moist and clean. i have left one for over 3 weeks with no issues.

Old December 12th, 2011 Dec 12, 2011 5:51:41 PM -   #36 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Talking Re: Roland BN20 VersaStudio installation and review

Hello Mr. Jackson

Im looking into purchasing a BN20 but i was wondering if the ink catridges came included with it....

Old December 12th, 2011 Dec 12, 2011 6:00:09 PM -   #37 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmich313248
Hello Mr. Jackson

Im looking into purchasing a BN20 but i was wondering if the ink catridges came included with it....
We do have a package deal that has the ink cartridges included but the standard from Roland does not come with inks/ If you would like, I can get you a quote on a setup. Send me an email at [email protected]Imprintables.com

Old December 12th, 2011 Dec 12, 2011 7:13:21 PM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Scuba Steve, thanks for publishing a nice review of this printer. I have been looking at it since it's first appearance on the Roland website.

I am still trying to understand the market need this fills for people who are in the apparel printing business. Is it full color prints, in small volumes?

I see other ways to address that market, and while I would love to have a machine that can print and cut in this nice small size, the price point is a tough one for me. If it allowed me to do full color (by that i mean lots of colors - thousands) like a DTG printer, and did it with a very light hand, at least as good as a DTG printer, I'd get it. But if that isn't it, then I don't see what the value proposition is for this thing. It seems to me that the heatsoft material Roland offers is still going to be fairly thick on the shirt, kind of like vinyl or an opaque inkjet transfer. Clearly, I don't understand.

I'm not dissing this machine, but rather, trying to understand if it is really a good deal (again, from the perspective of apparel printing). What does this thing do that is so darn special (worth $8500)?

Educate me, please.

The Following User Says Thank You to Riph For This Useful Post:
scuba_steve2699 (December 13th, 2011)
Old December 13th, 2011 Dec 13, 2011 4:11:08 AM -   #39 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riph
Scuba Steve, thanks for publishing a nice review of this printer. I have been looking at it since it's first appearance on the Roland website.

I am still trying to understand the market need this fills for people who are in the apparel printing business. Is it full color prints, in small volumes?

I see other ways to address that market, and while I would love to have a machine that can print and cut in this nice small size, the price point is a tough one for me. If it allowed me to do full color (by that i mean lots of colors - thousands) like a DTG printer, and did it with a very light hand, at least as good as a DTG printer, I'd get it. But if that isn't it, then I don't see what the value proposition is for this thing. It seems to me that the heatsoft material Roland offers is still going to be fairly thick on the shirt, kind of like vinyl or an opaque inkjet transfer. Clearly, I don't understand.

I'm not dissing this machine, but rather, trying to understand if it is really a good deal (again, from the perspective of apparel printing). What does this thing do that is so darn special (worth $8500)?

Educate me, please.

Riph - you bring some good questions up.

The machine is capable of printing the full gamut that a DTG can produce and in most cases more colors as its output gamut is larger than most of the DTG printers on the market. It can produce full color prints for a variety of items including heat transfer products. The Heatsoft material from Roland is not the best in the market for its thickness and hand. There are many different brands of heat transfer printable vinyl (yes it is a vinyl) on the market and many produce a very soft hand. It will not produce the same feel as a DTG as it is a different process. DTG on dark color shirts still has a hand to it due to the white ink but I will say it is softer than any vinyl.

DTG's are not capable of printing the huge variety of products that the BN20 or any larger eco solvent printer can. The real advantage of this type of unit is versatility. The BN20 allows any shop to now not only produce full color garments in small or large quantities, but they can produce decals, banners, posters, magnets etc. etc. This allows that same shop to now bring the customer back in the door for many other sale items that they were getting somewhere else. The process to create the different products is very simple - mostly changing the media you are printing on and a few settings int he software. The key here is diversification. I can honestly say that my SP300 that we purchased so many years ago has helped keep my wife's business afloat when our garment sales dipped. We were able to sell banners, signs etc. and even out the lows.

What does it do that is so darn special? I think it allows a shop to produce small and large run orders for garment decoration on a variety of medias including special effects media at a very reasonable price. It also allows that same shop to add many products to its offering for their customers. Imagine this scenario - You are producing a t-shirt for the local high school football team and use the left chest logo that is all setup and printed for the garments to produce a few decals that you put in the box with their order. The decals are attached to a flyer letting them know about the many other products you offer and fundraiser programs you can do for them. Do you think you might get a call for some of these products. Works like a charm in most cases!

I hope this helps and thanks for reading my ramble. Let me know if you would like some samples or any info on what you can do with this printer and I will be happy to send some your way.

The Following User Says Thank You to scuba_steve2699 For This Useful Post:
Riph (December 13th, 2011)
Old December 13th, 2011 Dec 13, 2011 7:01:15 AM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Thanks, Steve. I will reply later, am currently "indisposed".

Old February 2nd, 2012 Feb 2, 2012 2:32:55 AM -   #41 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

hey steve again
we still haven't taken the plunge with gettign a BN20 - do you know of any or have any videos showing the BN20 working from starting a print to finishing a print so we can see the speed.
thanks for you advice
regards
bex

Old March 16th, 2012 Mar 16, 2012 2:33:32 PM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve2699
It lists for $8500 alone. I can send you a turnkey quote if you would like. Send me a pm with your info and I will get it right over.
I ran across the page below that lists it for $3077.
Is that in error, or incomplete package? Every other price I've seen is around what you listed.

Roland VersaStudio 20" BN-20 Desktop Inkjet Printer/Cutter - ADIK PRINTER - Leader Official Machine Store

Thanks!

Old March 16th, 2012 Mar 16, 2012 5:21:19 PM -   #43 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Scam site for sure

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums app

Old March 16th, 2012 Mar 16, 2012 5:41:24 PM -   #44 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Charles
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,353 Posts

The poster is from Indonesia....you figure it out!...

This is a discussion about Roland BN20 VersaStudio installation and review that was posted in the T-Shirt Articles section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Article Tools