How to make a custom t-shirt wall mural/todo list using IdeaPaint, a vinyl cutter and sign vinyl - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt News and Articles > T-Shirt Articles
T-Shirt Articles, Interviews, How-To Instructions and Reviews covering a variety of subjects related to t-shirts.

How to make a custom t-shirt wall mural/todo list using IdeaPaint, a vinyl cutter and sign vinyl

Share This Thread Article Tools
How to make a custom t-shirt wall mural/todo list using IdeaPaint, a vinyl cutter and sign vinyl
By Rodney Blackwell of T-ShirtForums.com
Published by Rodney
March 12th, 2010
Smile How to make a custom t-shirt wall mural/todo list using IdeaPaint, a vinyl cutter and sign vinyl

PREFACE

I think I first came across IdeaPaint from a link posted on Twitter. It's a pretty neat product...

IdeaPaint is basically a special type of paint that you can paint on just about any flat surface. Once dried, the surface automagically turns into a dry erase board! You can paint walls, tables, desks...you name it!

This past Christmas, they had a sale on their 3 square foot "Lil Bit Kit" packs, so I bought a few for friends and snagged a couple for myself to play with.

After figuring out which type of sign vinyl would work best for this type of wall application (with the help of some great T-ShirtForums members), I got to work on my wall mural idea.

Disclaimer: I'm not an artist or a painter. I don't play one on TV What you see here is my attempt at making a fun t-shirt mural for my wall

How I made a t-shirt mural with ideapaint, a vinyl cutter and some sign vinyl

What's needed:

• Some IdeaPaint - my mural was small-ish, so I used their Lil Bit Kit. Bigger murals mean mo' paint.
  • A vinyl cutter/plotter - I used a Roland GX-24, but any vinyl cutter should work. If you don't have a cutter, you can outsource the cutting part to someone that does.
  • Some sign vinyl - Oracal 651 (matte) was recommended by forum members, but other brands may work as well.
  • Application tape - different people have their favorites, but I had R-Tape AT60 Clear Choice on hand, so I used that.
  • A wall - a flat wall surface is preferred, but mine has texture, which can make erasing in crevices a bit of a challenge.
STEP 1 - find a graphic for the t-shirt outline (or draw one)

My first step was finding just the right "t-shirt frame" for my mural. As I mention in the disclaimer, I'm not an artist, so I decided to scour istockphoto.com for a t-shirt template to use.

After a bit of searching, I picked this one: T-shirt design template set | Royalty Free Stock Vector Art Illustration | iStockphoto.com - I particularly liked the details like the wrinkles in the sleeve.

STEP 2 - get the t-shirt graphic ready for cutting

I brought the eps file I bought and downloaded from istockphoto into CorelDraw X4 and removed the light blue shading and background so just the black outline of the t-shirt remained.

Then I imported the black outlined t-shirt into Roland CutStudio to get it ready for cutting with the vinyl cutter. With the CutStudio plugin for CorelDraw, this was accomplished with a quick clickety click.

STEP 3 - figure out how big you want your t-shirt wall mural

The amount of open wall space in my office is pretty limited, so I found and measured out a small area that I thought would be perfect for the t-shirt dry erase board. If I had more space, I might have gone for a ceiling to floor type mural, but you take what you can get

So to get the vinyl decal t-shirt outline the size I needed, I just typed 20 into Roland CutStudio under the properties for the imported graphic like so.

STEP 4 - cut it up!

I got the Roland GX-24 ready to cut with a quick test cut on the Oracal 651 black sign vinyl.

Then I cut out the full graphic and quickly weeded around the edges.

Then I weeded the excess vinyl from the center of the t-shirt. TIP: Hang on to that big vinyl piece in the middle!

STEP 5 - get the wall ready to be muralized (is that a word?)

If you followed my tip above, then you have a nice big solid vinyl t-shirt outline.

Take that big solid t-shirt outline and place it on the wall where you want the mural to go. The Oracal 651 vinyl is pretty easy to remove from a wall surface, so you can line it up, remove it, realign it, re-apply it as necessary without much worry.

Once you have everything straight and placed where you want the whiteboard to be, you can take a pencil and draw a nice outline around the vinyl.

This pencil outline will be like the lines in your coloring book. Stay inside the lines when it comes to painting time

Keep on tracing all the way around. It doesn't have to be perfect, since the vinyl outline will be covering the pencil marks (ideally - if not, just erase them later).

STEP 6 - Get your paint on!

Pull out your box of IdeaPaint. Here's my "lil' bit of ideapaint box"

Open it up and survey the contents:

Pour this into that:

Mix things up a bit:

Pour the paint into the tray:

Then paint away! (maybe try to stay in the lines you drew a bit better than did )

STEP 7 - Back away from the wall and WAIT!

After you paint, you need to let your IdeaPaint cure (cure = dry) for 7 days.

Keep waiting...

STEP 8 - Put your t-shirt vinyl frame around your new whiteboard mural!

To make applying the vinyl decal to the wall easier, you'll want to use some type of application tape. The application tape is sticky on one side, so it can stick to the vinyl.

The R-Tape AT60 Clear Choice I had on hand was only 10" wide, so I had to use two strips of it side by side on the vinyl to get it to fit.

When you peel off the application tape, only the vinyl decal remains on the wall looking pretty:

STEP 9 - Get some dry erase markers

I think I found this 16 color pack at my local Target, but you can find dry erase markers in almost any arts and crafts store, drug store, or grocery store.

STEP 10 - Have Fun!

BUSINESS TIP: For those of you with vinyl cutters and vinyl print/cutters like the Roland Versacamm, maybe you could offer to sell your customers vinyl wall decals combined with some IdeaPaint as a kit so they can create their own wall murals with the "frames" you create (or that they suggest).

Feel free to leave your tips, comments and feedback below!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg idplilbitopen.jpg (38.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg idpmarkers.jpg (37.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg idplovetsf.jpg (43.3 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2010 Mar 12, 2010 7:32:48 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Default Re: How to make a custom t-shirt wall mural/todo list using IdeaPaint, a vinyl cutter and sign vinyl

Wow that is awesome Rodney Makes me want to go play with your kids and color hehe. Great tutorial, I may have to try one of these in my house since Ava constantly wants to color my walls Great idea hehe with the idea paint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2010 Mar 12, 2010 8:29:55 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Mrs. Bacon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: How to make a custom t-shirt wall mural/todo list using IdeaPaint, a vinyl cutter and sign vinyl

AWESOME TUTORIAL RODNEY!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to share!!!

Old March 13th, 2010 Mar 13, 2010 4:29:09 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jane
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

This is absolutely fabulous. I love it.

Old March 13th, 2010 Mar 13, 2010 4:38:29 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David

Good tutorial, maybe I'm missing something but why not just use dry erase vinyl?

Old March 13th, 2010 Mar 13, 2010 8:18:35 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflowerboxx
Good tutorial, maybe I'm missing something but why not just use dry erase vinyl?
Now you tell me

I guess I didn't use dry erase vinyl for a couple of reasons: 1) I didn't know it existed. 2) I wanted to play around with IdeaPaint to see if I could pull it off.

It didn't come out perfect, but I think it opens up a lot of neat possibilities.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rodney For This Useful Post:
ashamutt (March 13th, 2010)
Old March 13th, 2010 Mar 13, 2010 8:47:56 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Now you tell me

I guess I didn't use dry erase vinyl for a couple of reasons: 1) I didn't know it existed. 2) I wanted to play around with IdeaPaint to see if I could pull it off.

It didn't come out perfect, but I think it opens up a lot of neat possibilities.
Dry Erase Vinyl from Avery Graphics

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to theflowerboxx For This Useful Post:
ashamutt (March 13th, 2010), Boomerbabe (March 13th, 2010), Girlzndollz (March 22nd, 2010), Rodney (March 13th, 2010), Tijeras (March 19th, 2010)
Old March 13th, 2010 Mar 13, 2010 9:03:21 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jane

From one of the forum sponsors
FDC 4305 Promotional Dry Erase Sign Vinyl Film - 15"x10 yds (Click For Colors)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lizziemaxine For This Useful Post:
ashamutt (March 13th, 2010), Girlzndollz (March 22nd, 2010), Rodney (March 13th, 2010), tqd95wn (May 16th, 2011)
Old March 13th, 2010 Mar 13, 2010 9:04:31 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflowerboxx
Some people love extra work, and have a fun project. Thats like why rework on old house when buying new is faster and cheaper. Except when you like a challange.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to selzler For This Useful Post:
ashamutt (March 13th, 2010), Rodney (March 13th, 2010)
Old March 13th, 2010 Mar 13, 2010 9:07:16 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzler
Some people love extra work, and have a fun project. Thats like why rework on old house when buying new is faster and cheaper. Except when you like a challange.
I realize that, that's why I said "maybe I'm missing something".

Old March 13th, 2010 Mar 13, 2010 9:11:57 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Thanks for the links to the dry erase vinyl. I may try out some of that too and do a comparison to see which works better on my bumpy walls

I did kind of like painting though. Has anybody else here tried the dry erase vinyl or ideapaint?

Old March 13th, 2010 Mar 13, 2010 10:10:16 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Glenn

My wife teaches graphic design and screen printing at a high school... I'll made a couple of these using 3651 & dryerase laminate mounted to 2x3 gatorboard... Then the kids can doodle an idea before hitting the PC with it.

It would be great for a kids room or classroom door.

Last edited by jiarby; March 13th, 2010 at 10:16 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to jiarby For This Useful Post:
Rodney (March 13th, 2010)
Old March 13th, 2010 Mar 13, 2010 12:50:11 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: john

haha looks great

Old March 13th, 2010 Mar 13, 2010 2:10:19 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: PJ

How fun!! Love the idea, drawing on the walls like when we were kids with no repercussions. Thanks, Rodney.

Old March 18th, 2010 Mar 18, 2010 8:10:10 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jessica

Very cool! I'd love to do that but right now we are trying to sell our house, not sure if the next owners would want a tshirt on their wall. lol

This is a discussion about How to make a custom t-shirt wall mural/todo list using IdeaPaint, a vinyl cutter and sign vinyl that was posted in the T-Shirt Articles section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in

Article Tools