CafePress vs. SpreadShirt - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

CafePress vs. SpreadShirt

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 1st, 2005 Sep 1, 2005 10:58:53 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default CafePress vs. SpreadShirt

I am looking into starting a new store and have been researching all the different fulfillment services. CafePress and SpreadShirt seem to be the top two.

Anyone have any opinions on which is better overall?

I like the base prices on CafePress and the fact that there seem to be no additional costs, but dislike the variety of colors offered for shirts.

I like the color variety of SpreadShirt, but dislike the additional costs.

Speaking of which, if I create a full color image, do I incur these additional fees?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2005 Sep 1, 2005 11:22:19 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: CafePress vs. SpreadShirt

It's hard to say which is "Better". They both provide different services.

CafePress has been established longer, however spreadshirt has many different shirt color options.

You just have to decide which one you want to use. Since there are no fees (at least for a cafepress basic shop), you can use both services and test them out for yourself to see which one you prefer.

You don't get charged any extra with cafepress or spreadshirt when using a full color image because they use a professional heat press to print the shirts. With a heat press, the number of colors in the design doesn't matter.

With spreadshirt, if you want to print on a dark colored shirt, the design has to be in vector format so it can be flock printed or flex printed. With these 2 print types, the printing cost does increase as the number of colors increases.

The good thing is that you don't have to pay any printing fees up front, you just mark up the design on top of their "base prices". The downside to this is that sometimes the base prices can be very close to the normal retail cost for a t-shirt, so in order to make a profit, you sometimes have to price your shirts at a premium (which isn't always a bad thing).

Old September 1st, 2005 Sep 1, 2005 11:45:24 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

I've been running my shop "aerosmack" on cafepress for a long time now and have had really good luck with them. I opend a few free shops just to get a feel for it and ended up combining all of my designs into one premium shop. I think you pay them a few bucks a month for the premium shop, but you can do much more in the way of maintaining your shop and changing product and pricing options.

I did run into a site called printmojo that does to actual screen printing of your designs on any color of shirt you want. The down side here is that you have to buy the products and they warehouse them, take the orders and ship them etc. You have to pay a chunk of money up front and hope your designs are attractive enough to sell. It is an alternitave to cafepress, but very different in the experimentation part.

Old September 13th, 2005 Sep 13, 2005 9:28:43 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

I've had a premium shop at Cafe Press for some time now, and I'm pretty happy with it. So that I am not totally dependent on CP I've been looking for a second fullfillment house.

SpreadShirt seems about the best for me except that there is no way to bundle products by catagory. I realize there are workarounds, but I just don't want my Hillary Clinton tees intermingled with Newt Gingrich items!

Lazy

Old September 26th, 2005 Sep 26, 2005 8:29:14 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hello, don't know if this is any help, but I suggest doing both. It feels a bit like cheating if you've been loyal to one or the other for any length of time. Have you checked out zazzle? They are a little clunky compared to cafepress, but if you're looking for more products they have giant prints too. You don't have the freedom that you get with a premium shop on cafepress either, but it's another place to get your stuff out there.

This is a discussion about CafePress vs. SpreadShirt that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in