[SPREADSHIRT] Spreadshirt did a horrible thing on its marketplace - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

[SPREADSHIRT] Spreadshirt did a horrible thing on its marketplace

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 29th, 2017 Jul 29, 2017 3:55:34 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jazz Hands Jingle Bells
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Spreadshirt horribly ruined their t-shirt marketplace

Recently Spreadshirt did a very nasty & brutal thing to all the people who sell designs on their marketplace. They created a separate custom creation area and they put up a lot of free clip art and t-shirt designs, because they thought they could sell a lot more t-shirts this way, at the expense of the freelance designers. This wiped out most of the sales and profits of the designers who sold on their marketplace. They're also pressuring the marketplace sellers to lower the prices of their designs by giving lower priced designs higher rankings in the searches. So basically they don't care about the designers and they don't think we need to make any money.

I'm going to move to a different t-shirt service and when I establish good sales again somewhere else, I will close my Spreadshirt accounts and never do any business with them again. I'm really mad at them. If I decide to open a t-shirt store, it won't be on Spreadshirt. Since they totally screwed over their marketplace designers/sellers, who knows maybe they will screw over their shop sellers too. I'm not going to deal with Spreadshirt at all in the future. Also, Spreashirt's t-shirt shop layout is dumb and bad and I always disliked it. I just looked at Shopify right now and it's much better.

Another thing: In 2013, everybody's Spreadshirt sales were mysteriously cut in half. Suddenly everyone lost half their sales. This happened to both the marketplace sellers and shop sellers. Spreadshirt never gave us any explanation for it. I could understand this happening to the marketplace sellers, since they did away with restrictions on new designs, it flooded their marketplace with far more designs. But I don't understand why the shop owners got their sales drastically cut too.

But this time it's obvious how Spreadshirt has cut the marketplace sales for the marketplace sellers: by massively promoting free designs and increasing the number of free designs. This is such a cold & nasty move on their part. This is the last straw and I seriously have to find other ways of making money online.

Last edited by Bougie; July 30th, 2017 at 03:40 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2017 Nov 19, 2017 8:36:31 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Spreadshirt did a horrible thing on its marketplace

Hi Bougie - did you find another POD site that works for you? I've been selling on redbubble but they launched a half-baked, severely flawed site redesign a couple weeks ago and it's a mess, sales have tanked, and it's become unfriendly to artists and customers alike.

So I'm looking for another place to offer my wares with a good interface, nice variety of items, excellent quality & customer service. Curious what you came up with!

Old December 17th, 2017 Dec 17, 2017 8:42:12 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Eric

I consistently sell stuff on Redbubble and CafePress.

I can't stand CafePress, though, because their margins are PITIFUL. 5% or less usually. Also, they are in the habit of randomly creating a new store, selling your stuff in it, and giving you an even SMALLER margin.

Redbubble's interface update means that if you find a design you like on a t-shirt, you can't easily get to "Women's Tanks" or "Acrylic Block" with the same image. It used to be very intuitive to find all other products with a given image. I'm guessing sales are being lost to customers thinking "oh, too bad, it only comes on guy's tees".

My experience with SpreadShirt is that nothing at all ever, ever sells. 10-15 sales a month on RB and CP, ZERO on SpreadShirt. I even tried ads on FB and AdWords. Zero traffic on Spreadshirt. I don't know what the problem is there.

I'm hoping you find something better, and I'm likely to follow your lead if you do! TeeSpring, perhaps?

Take care!
Eric

Old December 18th, 2017 Dec 18, 2017 5:52:21 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I wish I had re-read this post before setting up on Spreadshirt. I do mostly text based or very simple graphics and didn't think through until adding about 40 items. It seems to be about $8 to $10 cheaper for someone to see a text shirt and then go create it for themselves. I didn't realize how much Spreadshirt actually competes with their marketplace contributors on basic and text only shirts. I've had one sale.

So far I've tried Zazzle and Spreadshirt and not wowed by either one. I've gotten sales on Zazzle but have never really figured out their pay structure with coupons, discounts, affiliate commission etc. which all seem to out of the designers cut. I've probably average about $1.50 per sale with an average ticket price over $20.

Most of the POD marketplace sites seem to pay higher to those that drive traffic to the site than the designers and that's the part I don't have time for, the social media, etc.

Not sure that there is a great option for marketplace selling. Of the two I've sold on I like Zazzle better but would need to up my commission rate. Interested to hear about experiences on other marketplace sites.

Old January 7th, 2018 Jan 7, 2018 7:41:56 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Following. Doesn’t seem like the pool of reliable printers is as large as it once was

Old September 4th, 2018 Sep 4, 2018 1:53:42 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

any body have the old spreadshirt account to sell? i'm willing to buy it, im me asap

Old October 10th, 2018 Oct 10, 2018 8:01:36 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: Paul

I've noticed a decline in sales since August as well. Whatever Spreadshirt did to the website strongly directs traffic to the shops where designers have created products. Now I don't know the numbers, but all of my images are on the marketplace where a customer can create a shirt....and my sales have gone from $150/month to maybe $25.

I don't want to make products in my shop on spreadshirt, as I have found my images stolen and sold at Teechip. I know this because my artwork is titled differently between the marketplace and my shop. The images found at Teechip where titled the same as my shop images.

So here I sit, hoping that my holiday season doesn't tank because of a revamped spreadshirt website.

This is a discussion about Spreadshirt did a horrible thing on its marketplace that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in