[SPREADSHIRT] digital direct on dark T-shirt - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

[SPREADSHIRT] digital direct on dark T-shirt

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 15th, 2016 Apr 15, 2016 9:20:43 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default digital direct on dark T-shirt

Hello,
I recently purchased a T-shirt from my Spreadshirt shop to test the quality of the T-shirt.
On the instructions that accompanied the shirt, it says that this light border will disappear after the first wash, but after two washes there is still a faint background behind the design.
I would like to know why it has not gone away. Is it the sign of the press or a problem with Digital Direct on dark colors?
The dimensions of the PNG are 3500x3474.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2016 Apr 15, 2016 9:42:51 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: CD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: digital direct on dark T-shirt

Most likely is the pretreatment application. Dark colored shirts using white underbase will need this treatment to properly print the shirts. Depending on how they applied it and cured it, may or may not go away completely.

Also, if the shirt is a poly blend it may not go away completely. If the pretreatment was applied heavy and the curing time too long it may have been burned into the shirt. Digital Garment printing is an art and any deviation one way or another can have different results.

CD

Old April 15th, 2016 Apr 15, 2016 10:13:01 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you for the quick response CanarianDrifter!
I guess I should stick to light colored T-shirts when using digital direct. Beyond white and grey, what's considered a light color T-shirt?

Zeppo5

Old April 15th, 2016 Apr 15, 2016 10:18:08 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

By the way, I've attached the pictures of the shirt upon arrival and after the second wash. It might give a better idea of the problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Upon arrival.jpg (21.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg after second wash.jpg (121.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg after second wash 2.jpg (37.1 KB, 41 views)

Old April 15th, 2016 Apr 15, 2016 10:40:59 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: CD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I know what the problem is. It is the pretreatment impregnated into the shirts after pretreatment curing combined with the second curing time of the ink. It almost look they saturated pretty heavy the pretreatment and in order to dry it they may have overcooked. Different machines yields different results. Some pretreatment takes up to 90 seconds to cure (same with curing the ink) and if the heat press (that's the square you see on the shirts) is too hot it will burn the pretreatment into the garment. Some other pretreatments only takes 35 seconds to cure and if done properly you would have barely seen the same effect which is an unavoidable part of digital printing. Those will most likely disappear after the first or second wash. It seems that the color of the shirt is dark gray or charcoal, those are the most difficult to control the square you see, at least in my case.

Light shirts could be any shirt in the pastel colors. Light shirts sometimes can be printed without the white underbase (cheaper) but the colors won't reproduce the same as the file colors because CMYK are semitransparent and will pick the color of the shirt. (blue ink on a light yellow shirt will look greenish)

I believe Spreadshirt uses a lot of different printers (Members) and not all printers are created equal. Your best bet is to find a local printer you can relay to and build a relationship with him/her. They will tell you all the shortcomings and benefits of Digital garment printing and best of all, what are they capable of producing for you.

Good luck
CD

Old April 16th, 2016 Apr 16, 2016 11:39:44 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you very much for this thorough reply. It was very helpful. I'm in the process of moving all the designs in my shop to white and grey T-shirts just to be safe. Working with a local printer is indeed my aim in the future. Again thanks.

Zeppo5

Old June 24th, 2016 Jun 24, 2016 4:17:13 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Post Re: digital direct on dark T-shirt

I also faced same problem with my t shirt I purchased from a online store.

This is a discussion about digital direct on dark T-shirt that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in