Some Spreadshirt tips that may be of use... - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

Some Spreadshirt tips that may be of use...

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 22nd, 2008 Aug 22, 2008 12:08:19 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Smile Some Spreadshirt tips that may be of use...

1) Should your vector design be rejected, ASSUME THAT YOU MADE A MISTAKE. Any of my designs that were rejected by Spreadshirt were rejected due to my own errors. You may think nothing is wrong with your design (don’t get so attached to its ‘brilliance’ that you lose perspective), but there IS. There have been a few times where I was POSITIVE everything was tip-top in a design only to discover –oops!—I made a mistake.

The Spreadshirt team WANTS you to be successful and make money. Your success is Spreadshirt’s success. Look at it this way: The standards imposed by Spreadshirt will help the quality of your work and thus increase your chances of financial success. The team is reviewing probably hundreds if not thousands of designs daily. Assume that they know of what they speak, because they do.

2) Sales will not occur the minute you post your design or unveil your shop. Patience, mates. It takes time (and mistakes) to build anything worthwhile. Some tips:

The Marketplace: Use proper tags for your designs released in the marketplace. DON’T try to throw in hundreds of irrelevant tags hoping for a bite. Make certain your tags actually are relevant to the design being depicted. It allows your work to be found easier for those actually looking for that particular style/design.

Your Shops: Whether a premium or basic shop, the fact is this: You can have the greatest designs in the world, but what difference does it make if nobody is aware of them? Promote. Don’t waste time trying to cover every base of every market. Focus on targeting those individuals, blogs, sites, etc. that actually represent the style or type of designs/motifs your selling. The goal is to get SALES not simply hits. If you invite a bunch of Mormons to purchase your atheist designs…well…

3) Mistakes will be made across the board. Don’t let them get you down; learn from them. This sounds stupidly simple, but sometimes frustration over mistakes can threaten to destroy your motivation and cause you to lose sight of your goals (you have set goals, yes?). I still make mistakes and will make more. Hopefully, not the SAME mistakes. There are hundreds of details that go into creating any successful shop. If you need some cues or clues, check out the successful shops and designers (Nekkidtees or Amorphia for example). Don’t seek to duplicate them style-wise, but do pay attention to their methods. If you’re assuming things just happened for them, you’re wrong. They put in WORK. As tired and unmotivated as you may feel, you’ll have to put in the work as well.

4) Bounce your design ideas off of others. What you find funny or amusing, others may not. Inside jokes are great amongst you and your mates, but that doesn’t mean that John or Jane Doe will respond to or even understand it. By the same token, don’t let the fact that someone doesn’t like what you’re doing prevent you from pursuing it if you truly believe it has a chance of penetrating your chosen market. It’s probably best to critique your ideas/designs with some intensity to find the problems (you won’t find them all). While this philosophy can go either way, I think it’s best to be a little overcritical of your work than to just let anything go out.

And finally…

I’m not an expert. I’m still (always) learning and stumbling as many of you are. The team at Spreadshirt is an invaluable resource for information. I guess I would just say, before you complain, check thyself. Investigate. Anybody can put a design on a T-Shirt, but not anyone can do it well. The more critical you are of your work, the better it will become; the less rejections you’ll receive; the better chance you’ll have of moving product and satisfying those who are doing the buying.

One more thing: When you do make a mistake, don’t scream out loud. It scares the pets and your neighbors will assume you’re as crazy as they always thought you were.

I wish you all success in your work,

Mattias

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SurfersHollow For This Useful Post:
jeggers (August 24th, 2008), Rodney (August 22nd, 2008), tshirt0mania (August 22nd, 2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2008 Aug 22, 2008 5:26:01 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Some Spreadshirt tips that may be of use...

thanxs for that ..just signed up on spreadshirt..just trying to learn the in's and out's of the whole thing..

Old August 23rd, 2008 Aug 23, 2008 6:07:27 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Well said Mattias! Are you sure you don't work for Spreadshirt!

Old August 23rd, 2008 Aug 23, 2008 10:25:54 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Talking Re: Some Spreadshirt tips that may be of use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m31uk3
Well said Mattias! Are you sure you don't work for Spreadshirt!
LOL. I don't think Spreadshirt would have me with the amount of mistakes I make...

...speaking of which, you'll notice that I don't have a signature at the bottom of my last post. This could be seen as a mistake (although, it simply slipped my mind and has since been rectified).

At the bottom of every email, post, etc, make sure your business links are embedded in your signature(s). I'd recommend keeping your signatures short with URL's (links) to your business/personal sites displayed. It may seem like a small thing, but it can possibly drive quite a bit of traffic to your site(s).

To accomplish this on T-Shirt forums, click on "Your Control Panel" under the Site Navigation menu (you should see this to your left) and then adjust your signature settings. Be sure to read the guidelines for signatures in this forum before doing so.

Do this in every forum of which you're a member. Also do this in your email program (Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, etc.).

Now go make some mistakes!!

-Mattias

Old August 26th, 2008 Aug 26, 2008 3:25:43 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

also figure out if your designs are dtg printed...this will limit your shirt choices.... been there and done that.....

start with a 10x10 300 layout and then when your done crop out the white excess on the top/bottom and/or sides...... max out your image if you want.......

b

Old November 16th, 2008 Nov 16, 2008 10:14:38 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

great tips thanks,

i hate the vector designs, it really does confuse me lol,
sure if i stick at it ill have it sussed soon though.

i was very lucky with spreadshop i opened three days ago and got my first sale yesterday. which was probably due to the fansite i set up on Facebook, which is my tip..

Facebook and Myspace do work as effective marketing tools, if they dont work, then you're probably doing it wrong, always know who your target audience is and dont just shove a link to your site in peoples faces, if i find a link on facebook i wont click it, but if i see examples of your work on facebook i am more likely to click. and Information, provide as much as you can, without it you have slim chances.

As for my site, its a baby, but it will grow up eventually, success never comes overnight.

This is a discussion about Some Spreadshirt tips that may be of use... that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in