spreadshirt to remove flock and vinyl print methods - going all digital DTG? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

spreadshirt to remove flock and vinyl print methods - going all digital DTG?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 3rd, 2008 Jul 3, 2008 4:16:23 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Question spreadshirt to remove flock and vinyl print methods - going all digital DTG?

I recently got my handy dandy spreadshirt newsletter and I read something that stuck out in the "Temple's Tip" area:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple
Many of you know we released a new digital print method, Digital Direct a couple months ago. Digital Direct is available on a limited number of products, but will soon replace both of the other printing methods.
Did I read that correctly?

Will spreadshirt be getting rid of the flock and flex printing methods?

I hope not. That's one of the things that made spreadshirt really stick out. Their use of specialty flex and super cool flock set them apart from other big POD printers.

EDIT: Thanks to Jana from spreadshirt for clearing up that flock and flex are here to stay! Only digital transfer and digital transfer overlay will be replaced by DTG.

Last edited by Rodney; July 4th, 2008 at 09:28 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to Rodney For This Useful Post:
stix (July 5th, 2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2008 Jul 3, 2008 6:14:04 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: spreadshirt to remove flock and vinyl print methods - going all digital DTG?

well.... they cant dtg everything and one of the products is blue/aqua AA shirts.... and they cant setup an option to not offer just that color when selecting a shirt...... so since i offer all colors and i can only do dtg, hopefully no one will order blue/aqua.......

and their white ink really isnt thick enough........

Old July 3rd, 2008 Jul 3, 2008 9:16:51 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Default Re: spreadshirt to remove flock and vinyl print methods - going all digital DTG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 237am
well.... they cant dtg everything and one of the products is blue/aqua AA shirts.... and they cant setup an option to not offer just that color when selecting a shirt...... so since i offer all colors and i can only do dtg, hopefully no one will order blue/aqua.......

and their white ink really isnt thick enough........
Why can't they DTG everything? I thought DTG should work just fine on blue/aqua t-shirts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rodney For This Useful Post:
Paloma (August 19th, 2008)

Old July 3rd, 2008 Jul 3, 2008 9:29:17 PM -   #4 (permalink)
DRM
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dave

REALLY!!!?!?! I just posted on their forums how poor quality I thought their DTG prints were. I found that many users are concerned with the DTG shirts for the following reasons:

1) Colors printed were not vibrant and dull (especially on dark shirts) I believe the TJet line uses new inks that solve that problem.

2) Inconsistent result for quality specifically for solid colors. Designs which had solid colors whether it be white, black, etc. were spotty or the color printed was not thick enough and white on a black shirt actually looked slightly grey with pinholes. (I think it is the ink and maybe wrong pretreatment)

3) If not pretreated properly...say goodbye to your colors in the wash. So scary to not know if your customer's shirt will hold up after 10 washes. Hopefully, SS has a consistent way of pretreatment.

Funny thing is I completely praised their flock and flex work. Unless they vastly improve the quality of their DTG prints (quality and color vibrancy), I would say taking away their flex and flock would be a huge mistake.

Old July 3rd, 2008 Jul 3, 2008 9:42:41 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

i had an issue when i first uploaded my graphics

i had graphics on a good variety of shirts..... well a customer ordered a heathered shirt with a graphic and i recieved an email about 3 days later stating that they cant print on heathers..wtf..... so the customer had to pick a different shirt.....

so then i ask what shirts can be dtg..... only AA,light/heavy shirts... so 3 options now....

well before i changed everything around there was an order for a tanktop... then i realized that that top couldnt be printed.... well, they printed it and shipped it and emailed them asking wtf...how did they print it then......since i can only do dtg .....well, they couldnt answer that.....wtf..... i asked.... so, you shipped a producted you couldnt print with dtg but yet my graphics can only be printed dtg....so whats the deal..... they couldnt answer that

so then i swap out my shirts to the correct shirts then was told i cant use blue/aqua....wtf.... then that leaves me with a few choices then........ but the thing it that if i offer all the colors for the shirts, i have no way of turning off the blue/aqua so the customer cant choose it.....

i then seen a shirt today from this other "character" that i'm working on and it was a white print on a green shirt....... well, i wasnt happy with it......it looked like a stencil job once you got about 5 feet away..... plus the ink seemed thin........

so right now, i have no clue........ it is what it is...........

b

Old July 3rd, 2008 Jul 3, 2008 9:58:45 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
2) Inconsistent result for quality specifically for solid colors. Designs which had solid colors whether it be white, black, etc. were spotty or the color printed was not thick enough and white on a black shirt actually looked slightly grey with pinholes. (I think it is the ink and maybe wrong pretreatment)
I think the 1-2 color designs (especially one color simple designs like text or solid colors), flex and flock are way better than DTG quality wise. That's just my humble opinion. I also love the soft feel of flock.

Granted, flock/flex doesn't worked well for distressed designs or designs with complicated curves and lines (too much weeding), but I think having a flock/flex/DTG combo would serve just about everyone.

It's not my business though, so I don't what's going on behind the scenes. I'm sure they ran the numbers and checked and rechecked things. Or maybe I'm just reading the newsletter wrong and they are actually keeping flex/flock.

Old July 3rd, 2008 Jul 3, 2008 11:51:42 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jana

Hi, all,

Thanks for pointing this lack of clarity out. What Temple is talking about replacing is Digital Transfer and Digital Transfer Overlay -- NOT FLOCK AND FLEX! Digital Transfer and Digital Transfer Overlay were the two methods we used in the past for full color, non-vector printing. They still produce better color than DTG, but the quality overall isn't as high.

And yes, we are continuing to work on the quality and features of our DTG. They are complex machines, and the technology is changing regularly. We just upgraded the machine in the US on Monday and Tuesday. We are also working towards other enhancements, including things like adding the ability to compliment DTG with flock/flex.

By the way, the team would LOL reading this, as they know Flock/Flex will go away only when I'm dead. ;-) I see where DTG is nice and has its place, but I <3 Flock/Flex.

Thanks for asking for clarification!
Jana

P.S. 237am, I will ask one of our team members to get in touch with you regarding the problems you have had. You shouldn't be able to select a print type on a shirt that doesn't take that print type. Knowing the details on these will help us improve, including giving you more clear answers.

Old July 3rd, 2008 Jul 3, 2008 11:59:02 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

jeggers,

i have sent messages through the contact section and mentioned my concerns........ i was just giving some ideas to better help SS work........ so all my concerns are not meant to bash SS.... i have had great customer service with SS and like some of the shirts received thus far....

my only concern was based from programming/coding....... such as if i fall in a catagory where all my graphics can only be dtg then maybe my options of products should showup....and not the whole list of stuff....... i guess it's a matter of creating "catagories" per shop owner to help them with organization really.....and maybe have a color turn off section considering that dtg wont work on certain colors.... just some ideas... just my .02...

b

Old July 4th, 2008 Jul 4, 2008 12:04:57 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jana

Hi, b,

I didn't feel bashed! :-) I want to know the concerns... it only makes us better. And our team should know the answers too, so we should always make sure we are pushing to get the answers, and following up with you on them.

There is a challenge between what goes on what because you can create a shirt in any order... picking the graphic first, the text, or the shirt itself. People get frustrated when they see the tank in one instance and then a few minutes later not... and "only" because they've chosen a different graphic. All solvable, but not quick answers. We are working on it!

Thanks!
Jana

Old July 4th, 2008 Jul 4, 2008 9:26:53 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeggers
What Temple is talking about replacing is Digital Transfer and Digital Transfer Overlay -- NOT FLOCK AND FLEX!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeggers
I <3 Flock/Flex.
Thanks Jana for clearing that up officially Sorry for the false alarm!

I'm glad to know that flock and flex are here to stay.

I'll FedEx a "fountain of youth" over to your offices just to ensure their everlasting safety

Old July 5th, 2008 Jul 5, 2008 7:32:22 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Yeah, when I read the email, I took it as Temple meaning that the other digital printing methods will be gone. I never liked the Digital Transfer Overlay method.

Old July 5th, 2008 Jul 5, 2008 8:52:12 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Chris
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

What was the Digital Overlay method? I was lost on this from the jump

Old July 5th, 2008 Jul 5, 2008 9:43:45 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

i think thats when they print on a transfer and heat press it on.......... i think

Old July 8th, 2008 Jul 8, 2008 5:46:52 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Jamie

Hello All!

I just wanted to expand on something that Jana said, "I want to know the concerns... it only makes us better." So true is this. If anyone reading this ever has a concern, please call 800-381-0815 and TALK WITH US! We search blogs, we take calls, we make proactive calls, we answer email, we proactive email, we survey, we offer coupons and we jump up and down screaming for customers to tell us what they think. Got a problem? Contact us! Got a question? Contact us!

-Jamie

Old August 19th, 2008 Aug 19, 2008 12:04:42 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishonline
Hello All!

I just wanted to expand on something that Jana said, "I want to know the concerns... it only makes us better." So true is this. If anyone reading this ever has a concern, please call 800-381-0815 and TALK WITH US! We search blogs, we take calls, we make proactive calls, we answer email, we proactive email, we survey, we offer coupons and we jump up and down screaming for customers to tell us what they think. Got a problem? Contact us! Got a question? Contact us!

-Jamie
My biggest problem involves the fact that I'm limited in regards to garment color choices for DTG...I typically silkscreen however, the shirts for my female line of tees require different color selections..and the original artwork is somewhat intricate. I was told that there would be an issue making them print worthy and DTG would be my best bet however, most of the garments for women that are DTG are white... i couldn't have a site full of white tees...which basically caused me to "abandon" ship and goto a competitor which was sad because i did like the selection you all had and i also enjoyed the fact that i could incorporate my site into my customized layout i had for my tee site. However, with the competitor i can't do that. I wish you all had more color options for womens tees..and tanks. I'd be back in a heartbeat

This is a discussion about spreadshirt to remove flock and vinyl print methods - going all digital DTG? that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in