I've made over $7000 with Spreadshirt this year - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

I've made over $7000 with Spreadshirt this year

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 30th, 2008 May 30, 2008 5:03:29 PM -   #31 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: I've made over $7000 with Spreadshirt this year

Quote:
If someone was so eager to share the amount of money they made using a certain service provider, why wouldn't they be eager to share her clothing brand?
For many reasons. Many people aren't here to promote their clothing line at all. Some are truly here to share information.

Another reason might be that the person wants to respect the forum guidelines that prohibit self promotional link dropping
https://www.t-shirtforums.com/forum-i...ion/t1173.html

Not everyone wants to share their website because it can cause rapid competition. Sure, competition will always be there, but you don't have to help them out by giving them a link

However, at the same time, many people here share their tips and knowledge with their "competition" to help others. You don't need to link to your website to help others improve theirs.

Sometimes people share information more freely when they feel they are anonymous. That way their every suggestion and tip isn't scrutinized to the last detail. It can also help save someone from a lot of PMs. If the person giving the tips runs a million dollar website that everyone knows, then they will undoubtedly get lots of PMs from people asking them for one on one help when the person may prefer to just share information in the forum when they can. Sounds crazy, but it happens.

Some forums don't allow any signatures or links or references to your website and they still have the ability to share massive amounts of great tips to help people with their businesses. WebmasterWorld.com is a great examle of this model.

Quote:
I tried my best to give out as much tips and info I can..... Its not like I just wrote "I made $7000 selling tshirts". I told you..
I think it would be more beneficial if you shared "how" you earned instead of "what you earned it with"

For example, in our marketing section of the forum, members have shared 100's of great tips and suggestions on how to effectively market a t-shirt site.

Since you've already established that you're doing well, it may help others to know "how" you're doing well so they can replicate it in their OWN niches.

I hope that makes sense

Let's respect the privacy of people who don't put their links in their URL or in their profile. It's not necessary to keep asking for a URL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2008 May 30, 2008 11:55:21 PM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlzndollz
These words, "Just being Miley" are copyrighted words from the chorus of her song "See You Again".

Miley Cyrus - See You Again lyrics | LyricsMode.com
Can three words from a song be copyrighted?? Or is it because her name "Miley" is included? I mean, you can write "dust in the wind" on a tshirt, and Kansas can't sue, or "Love me do" and Paul McCartney can come after you? Surely?
They are words, and words are free speech, or am I wrong?
I very well may be, LOL, so please let me know

Barbara

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 2:14:38 AM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

It is not copyrighted.

Both Miley Cyrus and Miley are trademarks for a lot of things.
So these names alone cannot be used.

If the names are buried in a sentence, so that the names are not dominating, it may possibly be used and even trademarked by you. But I would talk with a lawyer before trying to do so.

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 3:54:24 AM -   #34 (permalink)
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadshirtgal
Sorry I won't be posting my store.

Just for the simple reason of that I dont want to get my ideas stolen. Its not like they are copyrighted or anything of that sort. If I show my shirts here anyone can take my idea. All of us here is in the tshirt business. I doubt many people would be buying my shirts here when y'all can make your own lol

You can accuse me of working for spreadshirt or whatever... The fact is... why would I be posting on a SpreadShirt forum to promote Spreadshirt? Obviously, we all know about SS or why else would we be here?

I tried my best to give out as much tips and info I can..... Its not like I just wrote "I made $7000 selling tshirts". I told you...
1. The products are dedicated to pop culture..tv shows, movies, singers, etc..

2. I mostly use phrases that are somehow connected to these shows, movies...
Such as a shirt that says "XoXo" (Gossip Girl) or a shirt "Oceanic 6" (Lost). These things are not copyrighted. I have checked into it. I do not use any copyrighted images or anything.

If you find my post unhelpful then I apologize. It is what it is.

(I am not here promoting Spreadshirt, Gossip Girl, or Lost.)

Since you already said that you don't know anything about design - you just type movie/TV dialog into the website's editor - you don't have to worry about your ideas being stolen. lol.

All the t-shirts you mentioned are in Google from other POD stores or websites - But none from Spreadshirt!

It's insulting to all the people who did design shirts like you mentioned, and put them in their stores, for someone who didn't do it, to claim they did it.

***Rodney, I agree with everything you have written on this thread, but on an individual basis, this OP sounds like a fake.

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 4:01:45 AM -   #35 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Girlzndollz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedmirror
Can three words from a song be copyrighted?? Or is it because her name "Miley" is included? I mean, you can write "dust in the wind" on a tshirt, and Kansas can't sue, or "Love me do" and Paul McCartney can come after you? Surely?
They are words, and words are free speech, or am I wrong?
I very well may be, LOL, so please let me know

Barbara

I went to the copyright.gov website for your answer. I'm including a link to the site if anyone wants to read more on copyright. The link is also in the lower left corner of the forum. Here's the link:

Copyright Office Basics

From the site:

What works are protected?

Copyright protects “original works of authorship” that are fixed in a tangible form of expression. The fixation need not be directly perceptible so long as it may be communicated with the aid of a machine or device. Copyrightable works include the following categories:
  1. <LI type=1>literary works;
  2. musical works, including any accompanying words
  3. dramatic works, including any accompanying music
  4. pantomimes and choreographic works
  5. pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works
  6. motion pictures and other audiovisual works
  7. sound recordings
  8. architectural works
These categories should be viewed broadly. For example, computer programs and most “compilations” may be registered as “literary works”; maps and architectural plans may be registered as “pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works.”

** From the above information, you can see the words are copyrighted. The child (Miley Cyrus) made $18 million dollars last year. If she decided someone was using lyrics directly from her song, profitting, and wanted to stop them and protect her copyrighted property, she could. One has to ask if they have the financial strength to defend their t-shirt in court against her mass amounts of money, as well as possibly the co-authors of the song, and possibly the weight of Disney as well, because they make work that in if the song is included in a Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus Disney compilation CD.

Yes, anytime someone uses the copyrighted work of a musician, they can be hit with a cease and desist letter, commonly a first step, but not always, or directly hit with a lawsuit. Copyright gives the owner grounds to do so. Everyone will have to pay money in court. The judge will decide if it was infringment in the end, but, in the meantime, one still has to have the financial resources to last in court. Miley Cyrus does, as well as Paul McCartney, and probably still Kansas. Does the t-shirt seller? That's what it will usually come down to.

A common question is, if you wrote a song, and it became popular, would you like folks taking a line of phrase from it and making money off your work?

Hope this helps.

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 4:14:50 AM -   #36 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Girlzndollz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga
It is not copyrighted.

Both Miley Cyrus and Miley are trademarks for a lot of things.
So these names alone cannot be used.

If the names are buried in a sentence, so that the names are not dominating, it may possibly be used and even trademarked by you. But I would talk with a lawyer before trying to do so.
The words are copyrighted.

Here is information from the trademark website:

What is a trademark or service mark?
  • A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.
  • A service mark is the same as a trademark, except that it identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than a product. Throughout this booklet, the terms "trademark" and "mark" refer to both trademarks and service marks.
Do Trademarks, Copyrights and Patents protect the same things?

No. Trademarks, copyrights and patents all differ. A copyright protects an original artistic or literary work; a patent protects an invention.

*Here is a link to the trademark website for anyone who wants to read more on trademarks. The link is in the lower left corner of the forum.

Basic Facts, Trademarks

Nike's trademark is the swish. Words can be trademarked if they are shown to be known to the public to stand for the brand. Examples are: Nike = Just do it; KFC= Finger lickin' good. For Absolut Vodka, the word and font of Absolut are trademarked.

What you are suggesting to Barbara is that "Miley" is trademarked, but burying "Miley" in a sentence where it is not dominant, it may be allowable and possibly trademarked by Barbara.

That would be the same as saying "Nike" is trademarked, but by burying "Nike" in a sentence where it is not dominant, it may be allowable and possibly trademarked.

Do you understand how that cannot be?

Last edited by Girlzndollz; May 31st, 2008 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: added links

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 5:39:29 AM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Mr.T

Believe me Paul McCartney don`t come after you for a couple of t-shirt you wrote "Love me do" on it.
If you make millions using it you can draw their attentions

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 7:13:35 AM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Thank you ALL so much for your replies! The copyright thing is quite confusing sometimes.
I appreciate all this information, a lot!
I still don't know what "spreadshirt" is, LOL, which is why I read this thread, I need to go look it up and see...
Thank you again, everyone!
Barbara

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 10:38:03 AM -   #39 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

i believe that if you have a company that has a register trademark and you do work under that company...i believe that it has some sort of copywrite protection......

not 100% sure...but thats why people trademark/register their name.....

b

Old May 31st, 2008 May 31, 2008 9:02:54 PM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 237am
i believe that if you have a company that has a register trademark and you do work under that company...i believe that it has some sort of copywrite protection......

not 100% sure...but thats why people trademark/register their name.....

b
Its definitely a weird subject that will always gives lawyers a job. I doubt newspapers file paperwork for every day they print but I know everything has to be a separate trademark in other cases. For example, the WWE wrestling has gimmicks, event names, logos and slogans trademarked. The NFL has a trademark for the company and every team, logo, advertising slogan and so fourth.

Old June 2nd, 2008 Jun 2, 2008 7:11:17 AM -   #41 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshadow
Believe me Paul McCartney don`t come after you for a couple of t-shirt you wrote "Love me do" on it.
If you make millions using it you can draw their attentions
Yeah, but that is for each person to decide for themselves. It still is copyright infringment, so doing so does expose one to risks.

My only post here was in response to the comment in the original post by the OP where said she doesn't use copyright stuff, and those lyrics are copyrighted. It was possible she didn't realize it, so I was trying to be helpful to let her know. What she does from there is her own business, haha. No pun intended.

Old December 26th, 2008 Dec 26, 2008 11:18:05 PM -   #42 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Nike's trademark is the swish. Words can be trademarked if they are shown to be known to the public to stand for the brand. Examples are: Nike = Just do it; KFC= Finger lickin' good. For Absolut Vodka, the word and font of Absolut are trademarked.

What you are suggesting to Barbara is that "Miley" is trademarked, but burying "Miley" in a sentence where it is not dominant, it may be allowable and possibly trademarked by Barbara.

That would be the same as saying "Nike" is trademarked, but by burying "Nike" in a sentence where it is not dominant, it may be allowable and possibly trademarked.

Do you understand how that cannot be?
Trademarks can consist of several elements, including text and a graphic (as you referred to with the Absolut expample). Typically the Graphic element of the Trademark is also Copywritten. The swoosh is Nikes logo and when it appears alone it is copywritten, but when it appears with the text "Just do it" it will have an ® symbol, which means all rights reserved or Nationally Trademarked and copywritten..

The issue here is really if Miley's lawyers could sufficiently proove that Spreadshirtgirl is using the phrase in context of Miley's lyrics in order to actually have Miley awarded any sort damages awarded. Either way they could still issue a cease and desist letter stating that they have a copyright witnessing their right to use the phrase in commerce before spreadshirt girl. She would have to stop.

By her posting here that would be evidence against her stating that she is indeed using Miley's reputation and lyrics to profit. Though the next issue would be since it is online, proving that whoever spreadshirt girl is said to be in real life, actually made those posts. Yadda yadda.

Though take note in order to have a trademark issued you need to "purchase" the trademark within your specified "Class of goods or services" which a list of such can be found here: Trademark Acceptable Identification of Goods & Services

Lets just say for example my company sells Apples (the fruit) and the trademark is "Red and Wild" and there is some...oh..I don't know, some Hair Dye Company that makes only red dye that has the Trademark "Red and Wild" too. It would be legal because the identification of goods and services would be different for each company and they are unlikely to be confused because well...one is for your head and one is for eating. Numnum apples.

Am I makin' sense?

I just realized how old the last post girlzndolls made was. But I just typed all that so I'm gonna post it anyway!

Old December 28th, 2008 Dec 28, 2008 6:10:23 PM -   #43 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Thanks, Wayward, I appreciate it, no matter how old the older post is. I'm pretty good on having a grasp of basic copyright/trademark dealings, but always enjoy reading a well written post on the subject matter. I always enjoyed Greg's/Comin'outswingin's posts on it, too.

In this particular thread, the OP/spreadshirt gal, said she doesn't use anything copyrighted, right after she said she puts a line from one of Miley Cyrus' song on a shirt and sells it. No bout a doubt it, that's copyrighted. I was just mentioning that to her, as she seemed unaware that you can't take a line from a song, and put it on a shirt, and legally profit from that. Have a great night, and thanks again for all the typing.

Old December 29th, 2008 Dec 29, 2008 1:46:24 PM -   #44 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean

Quote:
These words, "Just being Miley" are copyrighted words from the chorus of her song "See You Again".

Miley Cyrus - See You Again lyrics | LyricsMode.com
Didn't know you like Miley Cyrus Too : )
got some sweet shirts of her I nabbed from a friend

Old December 29th, 2008 Dec 29, 2008 3:27:30 PM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Haha you were completely right to do so! :3 I am thinking of becoming a Patent Lawyer..well toying with the idea. I do a lot of research on intellectual property and I immediately went into "must rant" mode XD

This is a discussion about I've made over $7000 with Spreadshirt this year that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in