[SPREADSHIRT] Help a seriously pissed spreadshirt user - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

[SPREADSHIRT] Help a seriously pissed spreadshirt user

Like Tree4Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 15th, 2014 Dec 15, 2014 11:25:13 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Help a seriously pissed spreadshirt user

Wanted to place this design on my shirt:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...ps06d4f52f.jpg

However, when I uploaded it to spreadshirt, it gave me that awkward black square background, that looked terrible.

So I made the design fade to transparent to remove the square, like this:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6287668.png

Got the preview looking like this:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...pseb8a29e3.png

Perfect, beautiful.

Then it showed up like this:
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/...psc6f4aead.jpg

Are you F#cking kidding me???? Tell me there was some mistake made, because the shirt I ordered seriously didn't look like that in the preview.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2014 Dec 15, 2014 11:30:01 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: Help a seriously pissed spreadshirt user

Is it impossible to post images here? Good grief....

Old December 15th, 2014 Dec 15, 2014 11:56:03 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You haven't knocked the black out, just faded it to semi transparent so their rip has tried to put white under those pixels.

Unfortunately the fault is in the artwork, would have been nice for them to catch it before it was printed but I would imagine a large company such as Spreadshirts systems are mainly automated.

Old December 15th, 2014 Dec 15, 2014 12:09:46 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxter
You haven't knocked the black out, just faded it to semi transparent so their rip has tried to put white under those pixels.

Unfortunately the fault is in the artwork, would have been nice for them to catch it before it was printed but I would imagine a large company such as Spreadshirts systems are mainly automated.
On the preview it looked perfect. Why would it put white under the transparent pixels? That makes no sense...

Old December 15th, 2014 Dec 15, 2014 12:28:20 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick98
Why would it put white under the transparent pixels? That makes no sense...

It doesn't put white under transparent pixels but the majority of you background isn't fully transparent so the rip 'sees' something there.
JackyBrown likes this.

Old December 17th, 2014 Dec 17, 2014 11:58:22 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Is that DTG

Old December 17th, 2014 Dec 17, 2014 4:25:11 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Chris

That has happened to me a few times especially since I'm new to DTG. I did the same mistake with and image where the background comes through the front. It might be the image resolution is a little off or it didn't completely blend in.

Old December 17th, 2014 Dec 17, 2014 7:37:10 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Chris

I know what happened to This, if you blended the background then there's white pixels still left and that's what printed.

Old February 10th, 2015 Feb 10, 2015 8:25:26 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Hauvert

Damn I would be real pissed too. I would have gone with screen printing.

Old February 11th, 2015 Feb 11, 2015 6:10:16 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

It's the DTG printer and or the RIP used to print it. Many RIP's have a hard time dealing with gradients that go into transparency. There are tricks that the printer operator should've used to create the correct output. However when dealing with a large fulfillment company like SS you are not going to get the attention to detail as you would with a local shop. A good RIP should've just knocked the black background out of the original image and printed it using the garment color in its place.

Old February 11th, 2015 Feb 11, 2015 7:02:36 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Jazz Hands Jingle Bells

The problem is you don't know how DTG works and therefore you didn't know how to make an image which looks good when printed with DTG. When they print an image using DTG on a non-white shirt, they print a layer of pure white first in order to cover up the color of the shirt so that it doesn't show through the image. Then they print the image over the white ink. The problem with your image is that you left a bunch of faint pixels all over the background, which then were printed in white ink on the t-shirt. What you need to do is (1) Use PNG file format, (2) get the highest resolution image you can, then (3) turn off the anti-aliasing and erase the entire background stuff. Completely erase all those hazy pixels around the planet and letters. You can have anti-aliasing inside the image but not on the borders of the image or outside the image. This way you avoid having any faint pixels being printed as solid white on a dark shirt.

Old February 12th, 2015 Feb 12, 2015 4:40:49 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric Deem
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

This is somewhat true however a good RIP should be able to knock out the black background very simply. I can guarantee that if I print the image from the original file it will look exactly how the OP intended! Send me the artwork with the black background and I will post up my results. [email protected]

Old July 6th, 2015 Jul 6, 2015 1:15:23 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Vincent

It seems to be a mix of issues with your art and rip/operator. A responsible operator would have stopped the run once that image was outputted.

Just because you see something in the preview/proof image doesn't mean that is exactly what it will look like once a dtg prints it.

Live and learn. We've all been there.

Old July 6th, 2015 Jul 6, 2015 7:05:39 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekay317
It's the DTG printer and or the RIP used to print it. Many RIP's have a hard time dealing with gradients that go into transparency. There are tricks that the printer operator should've used to create the correct output. However when dealing with a large fulfillment company like SS you are not going to get the attention to detail as you would with a local shop. A good RIP should've just knocked the black background out of the original image and printed it using the garment color in its place.
Any time you give art to a fulfillment company, they will use as is. It is up to you to send good art. They cannot start guessing what you "really meant" with your art or clean up and fix bad art. My goodness can you imagine?
seacookie likes this.

Old August 17th, 2015 Aug 17, 2015 9:48:47 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Renee

I agree with everyone above, DTG printing on darks means putting down a white underbased layer wherever the machine detects pixel information. Any semi-transparency will then have white underneath it giving it that messy look you received. We DO NOT allow semi-transparency (also known as anti-aliasing) when printing. We run two actions that we have developed in Photoshop that either make those pixels solid or remove them completely. Either way your art would have looked different. As suggested above I would have merged the transparent portions with a black background then magic wand selected the solid back and deleted it. The blue would then print into black and hopefully blend with the black garment visually a little better.

Digital mockups are not to be trusted because they are digital representations not guarantees. They can be helpful for placement and size but NOT for color or quality. I am interested to see how Dekay317's print came out for you.

This is a discussion about Help a seriously pissed spreadshirt user that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in