Understanding Flock printing in detail - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

Understanding Flock printing in detail

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 11:15:39 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Understanding Flock printing in detail

Im about to create a lot of semi-complex, 3 color vector graphic images for flock printing.

What I need to understand is, when an image is made up of multiple color pieces, what is the best way create the image so that it has a high probability of being accepted???

See the image below.
Is it better to:
a) Have the different color pieces, nearly touching, but not touching
b) Touching
c) slightly overlapping, with the top layer taking precedence

Final question.
If you are doing a 3 color flock, are they cutting out 3 different colors of flock material, and then aligning them on the shirt and pressing it?

Or are they printing color to a single sheet of white flock material, which is then cut out all together, and pressed to the shirt??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 11:21:25 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: Understanding Flock printing in detail

Quote:
If you are doing a 3 color flock, are they cutting out 3 different colors of flock material, and then aligning them on the shirt and pressing it?
Yes, this is correct.

Quote:
See the image below.
Is it better to:
a) Have the different color pieces, nearly touching, but not touching
I don't work for spreadshirt, but I've printed flock t-shirts before using the same techniques and I'd say a is probably best.

Keep in mind that as you add colors and complexity to the images, the base price of the product and spreadshirt will increase.

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 11:27:18 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Their price sheet is a bit ambiguous.

If Im doing a flock print on the back of a shirt, then the price is what?
base shirt + $3 for flock
orrrrr
base shirt + $3 per flock color?

then I add a small 2 color flock to the front. this adds?
$3 for the front
$6 for the front (3 X 2 colors of flock)

???

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 11:59:13 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I think it's hard for them to give you a specific price without seeing the complexity of the design and the number of colors.

After you upload the design, they review it to make sure that it will work with their t-shirt printing process and then when you add it to a t-shirt using their designer, it will give you the base price for that design.

So basically, they need to see the design before they can price it accurately.

A red square is much easier to make into a flex/flock design than an interwoven celtic cross, so they would be priced differently.

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 12:04:53 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Ahhhhhhhhh, I was not aware that pricing was so subjective.
Thanks for the heads up.

So basically, to keep costs down, I need to design stuff that makes it as easy as possible for the human to align the 3 colors onto a shirt for printing.
What other factors make it expensive?

2 colors requires even less manual labor, 1 color even less, so therefore a lower price.

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 12:27:22 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
What other factors make it expensive?
The amount of "weeding" required is another factor I think.

For example, this t-shirt: https://1541.spreadshirt.com/us/US/S...T-shirt-734130

Would require that spreadshirt remove all the "spaces" in between the design. So when the design starts, all the whitespace (or red space) in between the knotwork would have to be removed by hand before the design is transferred to the shirt.

That's dozens and dozens of little intricate pieces to remove.

Whereas this design: Mens Muscle Tee Mexico Soccer - Spreadshirt Marktplatz

Is basically a solid outline. The plotter would trim around the soccer guy and there's no pieces in the middle to "weed" (remove excess flock/flex material)

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 1:13:07 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Great info, thank you.

What about sharp angles?
Can the cutter handle, lets say, something that looks like a narrow pencil tip? A long thin triangle that would require almost a 160 degree turn?

Or should I focus on getting everything as rounded as possible?

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 1:25:30 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshirtnoob
Great info, thank you.

What about sharp angles?
Can the cutter handle, lets say, something that looks like a narrow pencil tip? A long thin triangle that would require almost a 160 degree turn?

Or should I focus on getting everything as rounded as possible?
Sharp angles are no problem at all.

Narrow pencil tip, pointy edges are all generally no problem.

I think the two images I ran across when I was trying to show you examples just seemed more rounded.

Here's an example of a more pointy image I found: Mens Muscle Tee Nautical Star - Spreadshirt Marktplatz

You can probably get even more pointy than that.

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 3:38:11 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Ok, I think I just realized something important.

Spreadshirt states "space in between should not be smaller than 1mm"

However, I think this only applies within a single flock layer.

In other words, if you have two flock layers of different colors touching that is OK, because they are printed separately anyway.

Its when you have really fine lines within 1MM of each other *ON THE SAME FLOCK LAYER* that will cause the printer problems, since it will obviously likely break and get trashed as it tries to cut something that fine.

Make sense?

So im thinking I can get rid of the gaps between shapes that make up a picture when they are on different layers. And even if they ever so slightly overlap, thats OK, assuming the flock is opaque enough or you have dark colors on the top layer.

True? yes?

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 3:56:35 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Ok, I think I just realized something important.

Spreadshirt states "space in between should not be smaller than 1mm"

However, I think this only applies within a single flock layer.

In other words, if you have two flock layers of different colors touching that is OK, because they are printed separately anyway.

Its when you have really fine lines within 1MM of each other *ON THE SAME FLOCK LAYER* that will cause the printer problems, since it will obviously likely break and get trashed as it tries to cut something that fine.

Make sense?

So im thinking I can get rid of the gaps between shapes that make up a picture when they are on different layers. And even if they ever so slightly overlap, thats OK, assuming the flock is opaque enough or you have dark colors on the top layer.

True? yes?
Sorry, you lost me on that one

Got any pictures to explain the differences in what you're talking about?

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 4:11:14 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Spreadshirt states that the min space between two visible elements is 1mm.
Ok, look at the original graphic I posted and examine the lower right hand corner graphic.

Now imagine the machine cuts the blue blob first, the black blob second.
When it tries to cut the black blog, the boundary material left between the blue and black blob is soooo thin, that it falls apart/breaks.

Thus the 1mm requirement for two elements close to one another.

Now for the point im making. This rule doesnt apply if the shapes are touching (less than 1mm between them) **if they are cut from separate flock sheets since they are different colors/layers.

Therefore, elements *CAN* touch, and dont require the 1mm distance between them as long as they are different colors. (therefore cut separately)

This means I dont have to leave 1mm+ gaps between elements that make up a larger picture and have the white shirt background showing through.
Im guessing a tiny bit of overlap is OK in this case, even though they say dont overlap elements (the hidden assumption is that they are the same layer).

Clear? LOL

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 4:18:58 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

over-lap flock can get kinda bumpy and thick. But if that is the look and texture you need...

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 4:23:09 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BOT
over-lap flock can get kinda bumpy and thick. But if that is the look and texture you need...
Can you suggest an effective method of welding two different colored elements (two different layers), such that their boundary doesnt show the white of the t-shirt through?

The only way I can think of accomplishing this is with just a touch of overlap to account for human alignment error of the different layers during pressing.

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 4:28:33 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

looking at your sample images on your lead post, i don't think spreadshirt would have a problem aligning them perfectly with out errors.

But

I'm not sure if they do that type of thing, since i have yet to read their production policy in detail.

yes, someone that works with this type of thing day in and day out would have no problem with perfect alignment. But it does consume more work time.

Actually, you can take a 2nd or 3rd layer, peel it off the carriers and lay it all out on one carrier before you press.

Old November 16th, 2007 Nov 16, 2007 5:06:59 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Spreadshirt states that the min space between two visible elements is 1mm.
Ok, look at the original graphic I posted and examine the lower right hand corner graphic.

Now imagine the machine cuts the blue blob first, the black blob second.
When it tries to cut the black blog, the boundary material left between the blue and black blob is soooo thin, that it falls apart/breaks.

Thus the 1mm requirement for two elements close to one another.

Now for the point im making. This rule doesnt apply if the shapes are touching (less than 1mm between them) **if they are cut from separate flock sheets since they are different colors/layers.

Therefore, elements *CAN* touch, and dont require the 1mm distance between them as long as they are different colors. (therefore cut separately)

This means I dont have to leave 1mm+ gaps between elements that make up a larger picture and have the white shirt background showing through.
Im guessing a tiny bit of overlap is OK in this case, even though they say dont overlap elements (the hidden assumption is that they are the same layer).

Clear? LOL
Yes, that makes more sense and is probably true.

Since they are using a different color for each blob, then the 1mm issue may not apply.

I think the overlapping rule still might apply, but I'm not sure.

I'm sure someone that works at spreadshirt will see this thread soon and offer some more in depth information

This is a discussion about Understanding Flock printing in detail that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in