Digital Transfer Overlays - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

Digital Transfer Overlays

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 9th, 2007 Aug 9, 2007 2:05:09 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Digital Transfer Overlays

Your experience with Spreadshirt?????

I have a shop where I have uploaded designs in the .Png file format.
These designs were created in photo shop. Anyways, I've uploaded one design and put it on any color shirt that I want to and it appears beautifully in my shop without any white square background around the image. I followed the same design process in photo shop and uploaded several more. This is where I ran into the problem. Now every image that I upload has a white background around it when on a non-white shirt. I know they will trim away the white or i can put R(color) on the design and they will trim away the color.
I contacted the design team to inquire what I was doing wrong and was told that the system does not accept transparencies and was told they would trim away the white or to do the R(color) thing.

I informed the design team that I already have one design that shows up great in my shop on all color garments without the white background. I asked if that was an anomaly? I was told yes it was an anomaly and I'd have to remove it and re-upload it in order to be able to use it and purchase items.

I looked around and I could not find a single shop that had images with white backgrounds around their images. I guess these could have all been vectors but I doubt it? I cant make my image designs vectors because of the color limit.
I also do not believe I'll be able to sell many shirts if they all have that white square background around them when viewed in the shop because people will assume that the shirts will all have that white background.

What has been your experience and how did you handle it.
I welcome all comments

Thanks in advance......
Powermoves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2007 Aug 10, 2007 11:28:50 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Extravaganza Winner
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Robert
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: Digital Transfer Overlays

Does the photoshop file itself have a transparent or white back?

Old August 10th, 2007 Aug 10, 2007 8:31:52 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
Does the photoshop file itself have a transparent or white back?
the .png file made in photoshop has a transparent background.

Old August 12th, 2007 Aug 12, 2007 11:05:14 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Default All I want to do.......

Got a questions guys. I researched the topic here in the forums and have even spoken with customer support at spreadshirt and I really dont have a definitive answer on spreadshirt and digital transfers on colored/opaque shirts.
I want to use non-white shirts to produce my t-shirts. My images wont work for vector art because I have too many colors so I'd like to go with digital prints..
I dont really care if it's Digital Transfer or Digital Transfer Overlay.

All I want to do is be able to display my shirts in my shop without the white background around my image. I understand that Spreadshirt will remove the white or whatever background color i designate so that's not a problem.

So my questions is this, is it possible to show my designs in my shop on non-white t-shirts without the white background around them or do I need to find a vendor other than spreadshirt to be able to accomplish this.

Old August 12th, 2007 Aug 12, 2007 6:46:06 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jana

Default Re: All I want to do.......

Hi, Powermoves,

We've been making some changes on our digitals recently, so I want to get the experts involved. I've asked our team to post an answer for you on this forum.

Thanks,
Jana

CEO, Spreadshirt

Old August 13th, 2007 Aug 13, 2007 11:58:42 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Extravaganza Winner
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Ahhhh. I think I got it. Maybe. Are you tring to do this on colored shirts? If so, you can't. It would have the white background on it and that is why it is showing up that way. It would need to be in vector format for it to drop the back ground. I think if it has clean lines between the color and white they may be able to cut around it. Not sure about that.

Old August 13th, 2007 Aug 13, 2007 12:06:48 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Temple

Hi Powermoves,

As Jana stated, we are looking into changes for our digital process. Due to the changes we are working on, there was a small interval when transparency was being accepted, so this is how you were able to upload the one design with the transparency being supported.

Since the changes to our digital process are not complete, we had to remove the supported transparency, as it may make designs appear well on products in your shop, but not all designs can be printed in this manner and the supported transparency was causing issues for Production, since many of the designs could not be produced in this manner. Thus, supported transparency was removed and digital images were being processed as they also have, with a white background.

For now, the best way to display a digital on a non white product would be to try and match the background color of the design to the color of the product you are placing the design on. For instance, place the design on a black shirt and make the background of the design black, then add RB for Remove Black in the lower right hand corner. The text does not have to be very large, but enough for Production to see and as long as the digital image meets the requirements, then the black background will be removed when the product is produced. I understand this may not be the idealistic process for digital images, but for the time, it is the best way to show a customer what the design would appear, thus the matching of the background and the shirt color and tell production that you do in fact want the background removed.

Requirements to remove a digital from the background are distinguished contours and all elements greater than 0.06 inches. As long as a design meets these requirements, then it would be able to be removed from the background without issue.

As mentioned earlier, we are looking into changes for our digital images. Once more information about the change is available, then I can post here, as well as the Spreadshirt Forum, to keep you and everyone else up to date.

Hope this helps explain a bit better, if not, then let me know!

Thanks,
Temple

Old August 13th, 2007 Aug 13, 2007 12:50:21 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Thanks for posting, Temple. This actually answered questions I had about the digital process at spreadshirt as well!

I was never sure how the "RB" text was supposed to work.

Does that mean the RB text will show up in the product detail page when the customer is viewing the product?

Old August 13th, 2007 Aug 13, 2007 2:36:36 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

The RB text would be part of the digital image itself, so you would add the text, then save the image, and upload it to your shop. It would appear on the product detail page, but does not have to be huge. I created a small example of what would pass, mind you, I am not real graphically inclined with digital images, and this is just as an example.

If you click on the design thumbnail, then you will see the RB in the lower right hand corner, but it is not huge or a bright pink. It is visible for the design thumbnail, but not really on the entire shirt image.

Also, I used this design because it would not be able to be removed from the background. The small front and side legs are too small and it is not real clear where they start and stop, since it is sort of fuzzy, so this would not be distinguished contour and would not meet 0.06 inch size requirement. If these legs were not there, then the design would be able to be removed from the background.

Old August 13th, 2007 Aug 13, 2007 3:31:02 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Extravaganza Winner
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Thanks for the example. If you don't mind me asking, how do you remove the back? Do you create a cutting path and then use a plotter to cut it?

Last edited by prometheus; August 14th, 2007 at 10:07 AM..

Old August 14th, 2007 Aug 14, 2007 9:12:50 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Thanks for the information Temple. I'll try out the method you spoke about.

Old August 22nd, 2007 Aug 22, 2007 5:46:29 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

prometheus...It is much like the vector process, but a digital cutter is used instead of an actual plotter. The digital cutter has software that will establish a cutting path. If elements are too small, shaded, etc, then they are not recognized to be removed from the background. The digital cutter cuts out the design and then the digital team separates the cuttings from the design, much like the weeding process.

Old August 22nd, 2007 Aug 22, 2007 5:57:32 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Extravaganza Winner
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple
prometheus...It is much like the vector process, but a digital cutter is used instead of an actual plotter. The digital cutter has software that will establish a cutting path. If elements are too small, shaded, etc, then they are not recognized to be removed from the background. The digital cutter cuts out the design and then the digital team separates the cuttings from the design, much like the weeding process.
That's cool. Never seen one of those.

Old August 22nd, 2007 Aug 22, 2007 10:32:03 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
That's cool. Never seen one of those.
Hi Robert, you can see Josh doing this process in his video tutorial here: https://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt...es/t10209.html

Old August 22nd, 2007 Aug 22, 2007 10:57:05 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Extravaganza Winner
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Hi Robert, you can see Josh doing this process in his video tutorial here: https://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt...es/t10209.html
Rodney, thanks for the link. I've seen that before. I might have misunderstood. I forgot about the tracing feature in CutStudio. When I was asking the question, I was wondering if they actually manually created the clip path (which I guess be time consuming). Then for some reason I thought they were talking about a cutter that recognised the clip path itself (free of computer software). I guess I had a brain fart.

This is a discussion about Digital Transfer Overlays that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in