Proper PSD -> EPS conversion (to keep Spreadshirt happy) - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

Proper PSD -> EPS conversion (to keep Spreadshirt happy)

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 18th, 2007 May 18, 2007 7:46:08 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Cool Proper PSD -> EPS conversion (to keep Spreadshirt happy)

Hey everybody,

Love the site, its amazing how people see so genuine and helpful around here (from what I've seen anyways), thats def a break from the norm when compared to just about any other forum on the web these days. So kudos for that!

I just had a quick question regarding submitting vector designs to Spreadshop. I've read all their tutorials and instructions and all that - been up and down that stuff a dozen times, but I still keep getting rejected for "you submitted a pixel image" even though its an Illustrator EPS file.

I'm creating all my stuff in Photoshop at this point... Here's what I've been doing (unsuccessfully it seems).

1) I 've got my design in Photoshop, it has a solid color pixel background layer and the rest is vector shapes and text. (Saved as PSD)

2) I open the PSD in Illustrator and go through the steps in their instructions to Flatten the transparency, convert everything to curves, etc. etc.

3) Then, I save it as an EPS with the settings shown in the instructions.

All the designs are all one color (I'll double check to make sure they're not white since apparently thats a no no). One thing that it might be is that I'm not deleting the Background pixel layer in Photoshop before opening it all into Illustrator - would that be messing up the process?
(I'm at work so I can't resubmit for a little while)

If anyone could shed a little light on what I'm doing wrong, or enlighten me with your own SpreadShirt-friendly vector submission process - I'd be grateful.

Cheers!

Ry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2007 May 18, 2007 12:11:53 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Extravaganza Winner
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Robert
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: Proper PSD -> EPS conversion (to keep Spreadshirt happy)

I might be missing somehing here. Is all your work in Photoshop Pixels (raster), or do you have some vector in there, or clipping paths?

Also when you bring it into Illustrator are you creating any vector items in there? If not, then the photoshop is probably sitting in there as pixels.

Old May 18th, 2007 May 18, 2007 12:20:07 PM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

eps files can be either vector or raster or both. I do not know anything about Illy so I can not help any further

Old May 18th, 2007 May 18, 2007 12:38:02 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by prometheus
I might be missing somehing here. Is all your work in Photoshop Pixels (raster), or do you have some vector in there, or clipping paths?

Also when you bring it into Illustrator are you creating any vector items in there? If not, then the photoshop is probably sitting in there as pixels.
Nope, they're vector shapes in Photoshop, and Illustrator recognizes them as such (because it highlights all the points in red when I do a Select All). I've been using vector layer in PS for a long time now (making PDFs and posters that can scale way up and not look like pixellated ***, lol), but I don't know much when it comes to Illustrator...

Maybe its that solid color pixel layer that they're balking at...

Old May 18th, 2007 May 18, 2007 12:43:08 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,035 Times in 3,228 Posts

When you create the designs in photoshop, you are creating a RASTER/pixel type image.

When you open it in illustrator, it doesn't automatically make it a vector file. Even if you save it as an EPS file it won't make it a vector file if you started out in photoshop.

In order to make your bitmap photoshop file a vector file, you would need to use the LIVE TRACE feature in illustrator to trace the bitmap file into vector format. Then you use the illustrator tools to make the vector look the way you want.

If they are simple designs, it may be best to just START creating the design in illustrator and leave photoshop out of the equation. By initiating the design in illustrator, it will be guaranteed to be a vector file when you save it.

If you have trouble converting the photoshop file to a vector file, there are services that can do that for you for a small fee. Like vectordoctor.com or artworksource.com (costs only like $10-$15).

But from the sounds of your graphic, it sounds like something you could do on your own with a little practice.

Old May 18th, 2007 May 18, 2007 12:44:55 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Yes Photoshop has some vector abilities yet in Photoshop they are not technically true Vector as photoshop is a raster program.

Open the paths in Illy and recolor. Save the illy file and send. If anyone needs a vector file, sending a eps from photoshop will not do the trick.

Old May 18th, 2007 May 18, 2007 12:48:45 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
When you create the designs in photoshop, you are creating a RASTER/pixel type image.

When you open it in illustrator, it doesn't automatically make it a vector file. Even if you save it as an EPS file it won't make it a vector file if you started out in photoshop.

In order to make your bitmap photoshop file a vector file, you would need to use the LIVE TRACE feature in illustrator to trace the bitmap file into vector format. Then you use the illustrator tools to make the vector look the way you want.

If they are simple designs, it may be best to just START creating the design in illustrator and leave photoshop out of the equation. By initiating the design in illustrator, it will be guaranteed to be a vector file when you save it.

If you have trouble converting the photoshop file to a vector file, there are services that can do that for you for a small fee. Like vectordoctor.com or artworksource.com (costs only like $10-$15).

But from the sounds of your graphic, it sounds like something you could do on your own with a little practice.
Thanks. What about Exporting my Work Paths from Photoshop into .AI files and then having Illustrator save that as an EPS...?

See my screenshot to see what I mean. This is one of my PSDs opened in Illustrator and having the object selected. Isn't this in a vector format already?

(excuse my noob-ish questions - I'm new at this whole thing)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (68.7 KB, 34 views)

Old May 18th, 2007 May 18, 2007 12:53:10 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Thanked 6,035 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantology
Thanks. What about Exporting my Work Paths from Photoshop into .AI files and then having Illustrator save that as an EPS...?

See my screenshot to see what I mean. This is one of my PSDs opened in Illustrator and having the object selected. Isn't this in a vector format already?

(excuse my noob-ish questions - I'm new at this whole thing)
Are you using Illustrator CS2? If so, you really need to use the LiveTrace feature It will turn your photoshop graphic into a true vector file.

Old May 18th, 2007 May 18, 2007 1:01:17 PM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

If you open your paths in illy they will be vector. You will need to fill them with color yet can save as an eps and they will be vector.

Old May 18th, 2007 May 18, 2007 3:23:39 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Extravaganza Winner
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Robert
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

It looks like you are using C3. I don't work with the vector formats in photoshop too much, except for clipping paths. I guess I am old school in that.

You can export them and then open them in Illustrator, but if it is already recognizing them, then this sounds like an extra step. The only thing is that it will bring in only the vectors.

When you import the PSD, it is bringing in a raster layer, this is probably what they are seeing. Throw that layer out.

Old May 20th, 2007 May 20, 2007 10:23:38 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Great. Thanks everybody. I appreciate it.

I've finally got the vectors being saved correctly... now if I could only get them approved due to detail / size reasons I'd be all set!

Man, they are picky! (I understand why though, I know I wouldn't want to have to worry about cutting out ridiclously intricate shapes...)

This is a discussion about Proper PSD -> EPS conversion (to keep Spreadshirt happy) that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in