[SPREADSHIRT] Not happy with Spreadshirt order, DTG process in general? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

[SPREADSHIRT] Not happy with Spreadshirt order, DTG process in general?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 6:36:45 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Not happy with Spreadshirt order, DTG process in general?

I received two custom DTG shirts I ordered from Spreadshirt and I was disappointed to see a white underbase boxed around my design.

My design is essential a stylized typographical logo and I had it printed on white shirts. It ends up looking cheap/shoddy when you can notice a white box all around the logo. It is especially apparent on the Bella shirt, which is thin enough to be see through, that the box exists. Had I known this would be the result I would have done heat transfers myself.

Is this a limitation of the DTG process or did Spreadshirt do sloppy work? I've seen movies of the DTG machines printing white underbase, but it always appears to be directly 1:1 under the design (not a surrounding box of the design).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 6:48:54 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Default Re: Not happy with Spreadshirt order, DTG process in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejohn
My design is essential a stylized typographical logo and I had it printed on white shirts. It ends up looking cheap/shoddy when you can notice a white box all around the logo. It is especially apparent on the Bella shirt, which is thin enough to be see through, that the box exists. Had I known this would be the result I would have done heat transfers myself.
Are you positive that the shirts were dtg printed? I ask this because the majority of dtg users will not print white ink on a white shirt. How much of a white box is the around the logo? Do you think it is pretreat fluid?

I have no clue how the garment was decorated so that is why I asked. How did Spreadshirt tell you they decorated it? Can you post a picture of the shirt with a closeup of the white box?

I can tell you that most dtg printers will print a white shirt and you will not see a box around the artwork. I would suggest trying another dtg company.

Mark

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 6:52:55 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kevin

What kind of file did you provide them with? Was it a .png or .psd with a transparent background, or was it a .jpeg that had a white "base" around the image?

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 7:06:18 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Spreadsheet told me my order was going to be "Digital Direct" which I would think only means DTG. Whether or not it was actually DTG in the end, I'm not sure.

Its a large area of white around the logo. Its not exactly a box of white either. It takes a very loose shape of the logo which makes it more apparent and seem like a cut iron-on (exactly what I was trying to avoid by going DTG).

Unfortunately its a Christmas gift and I feel a bit embarrassed giving it at the moment.

You can see in my poor quality image attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo on 2010-12-21 at 21.01.jpg (91.3 KB, 131 views)

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 7:06:31 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: joe

Here is an example of what Kevin is saying.

Help | Spreadshirt

If this wasn't the problem, then I'm not sure what happened.

Edit: Oops. We posted at the same time. I didn't see the photo. Like you confirm below, that wasn't the problem. I'm surprised that passed their quality control, unless it took longer to dry like that or something. They should definitely re-make those, but sorry, I don't know the cause of it.

Last edited by joepa; December 21st, 2010 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Posted at same time

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 7:07:05 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

The image I provided was a png with transparency.

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 7:45:24 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

That looks like a discoloration caused by a pretreatment.

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 7:58:04 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

It doesn't appear like discoloration when you're looking at it in person. It feels stiffer than the rest of the shirt and blocks light from coming through better than the rest of the shirt. That would indicate to me that ink filled the "pores" of the shirt in that area.

I'm looking to see if I can't find a local DTG printer that can fill an emergency order before Christmas to replace these shirts. Is it reasonable to turn around a DTG shirt in one day?

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 8:05:12 PM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

That is not a direct to garment print. There would be absolutely no purpose in printing white and the clear hard edges shows it's from the paper transfer. It simply looks like they took scissors to the paper to cut around the image. I'm assuming you wanted the image in reverse??

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 8:08:13 PM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

My gut reaction is that does not look like a typically pretreat stain. I state this because the line where the stain is very distinctive and looks like an edge that was cut. Most pretreat stains are visible along the edge of the heat press and would not be as distinctive of an edge.

Wonder if they did it as a digital transfer. They do offer both of them - Help | Spreadshirt.

Just my opinion based off the limited information provided. I will state that the majority of dtg owners that I know would not use white ink on the artwork visible in the picture you have posted. Some would use a light garment pretreatment, but I have never seen a pretreat stain look like that.

Where are you located? Maybe you can find a local dtg shop that can get you a printed garment in a short turn around time for Christmas.

Best wishes,

Mark

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 8:09:56 PM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeridHill
That is not a direct to garment print. There would be absolutely no purpose in printing white and the clear hard edges shows it's from the paper transfer. It simply looks like they took scissors to the paper to cut around the image.
I agree with Jerid.

Mark

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 8:10:26 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Angel
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Where are you located?

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 8:14:26 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Well thats extremely frustrating.

My order specifically says "Digital Direct". I had also read, prior to ordering, that Spreadshirt no longer used transfers.

Now I'm down to the wire on this one. I'm hoping a local DTG shop can come through for me.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 8:16:16 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I'm located in Denton, TX. Flying home to Red Bank, NJ for Christmas on the 24th. Joy!

Old December 21st, 2010 Dec 21, 2010 8:19:02 PM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejohn
I'm located in Denton, TX. Flying home to Red Bank, NJ for Christmas on the 24th. Joy!
Try either Will at www.wholesaledigitalprint.com (posted above) or www.contractdtg.com. Both are probably a 1-2 day ship zone from where you are going to visit in New Jersey.

Best wishes,

Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to DAGuide For This Useful Post:
WholesalePrint (December 21st, 2010)

This is a discussion about Not happy with Spreadshirt order, DTG process in general? that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in