Printing clear background - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Selling > T-Shirt Fulfillment Services > SpreadShirt
Discuss the SpreadShirt service and features. Please note: this is not an "official" SpreadShirt forum, it is a peer to peer community for current and future SpreadShirt members. Visit SpreadShirt

Printing clear background

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 11:36:34 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Printing clear background

I've got a spreadshirt store and I'd like to not have to do a lot of manual "labor" on things.

Is there any easy way to make it look transparent?
It looks like poo with a big white background on pink designs.

Is there any easy way to make it available on multiple shirts?
I have had a lot of success with CP and their design sets quickly help me get my tons of designs out.

I searched through their website and didn't find a lot of help (I could be looking at the wrong place) Any thoughts or help from Spreadshirt veterans would be appreciated!

(edit) of course now that I've posted this I've found their forums. Arrg.

Last edited by OmanLegend; February 24th, 2007 at 11:45 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2007 Feb 24, 2007 9:38:20 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Printing clear background

I'm having the same problem! I'm using Inkscape.

Footy

Old February 26th, 2007 Feb 26, 2007 4:43:51 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jana

Hi, OmanLegend and footy1001,

I'm not a design expert, but thought I'd try to help since no one else seems available right now.

* Transparency is related to the type of image (jpg, gif, etc.). When you save an image in gif format for example, you should be able to select a color that you want transparent and then that color will be transparent in the saved file. Search for transparency in your help file for your application.

* Multiple designs in Spreadshirt. The way to do this is to do multiple designs in a row. So, if you create a design, save it, then select another product, the last design will be on the new product.

Hope that helps!
Jana
sng likes this.

Old February 26th, 2007 Feb 26, 2007 5:24:50 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

What Jana said..........

Old February 27th, 2007 Feb 27, 2007 8:10:32 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Hi Jana,

Thanks for the reply. After digging on the spreadshirt forums, I found the answer to my particular problem. They do not support transparencies in .png files. I'll have to create vector designs for that.

Oman Legend - not sure if your issue was also with the digital designs on the spreadshirt site.

Footy
sng likes this.

Old May 7th, 2007 May 7, 2007 1:38:21 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

hmm...yea, same problem. Need a switch to make white go transparent! That would be good, then my life would be perfect!

Old May 7th, 2007 May 7, 2007 2:03:43 PM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMonkey
hmm...yea, same problem. Need a switch to make white go transparent! That would be good, then my life would be perfect!
You can do transparency in a tiff format....

Old May 7th, 2007 May 7, 2007 10:50:40 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Jana

Hi, footy,

Hmmmmm... it isn't really about png. If the design is OK for it, then we cut around the graphic, so there won't be a white background. Here's the definition of "OK":

Quote:
The design you wish to have cut out has a distinguished contour and that the smallest parts are at least .06 inches in size. Otherwise, the image will not be cut out and the background will be printed on the final product.
Does yours fit that?

That said, I'd go to vector. Inkscape is great and pretty easy. Vector printing is CRISP... really distinguishing. And it lasts and lasts. Looks better after washing.

Hope that helps!
Jana
sng likes this.

Old May 8th, 2007 May 8, 2007 4:02:36 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeridHill
You can do transparency in a tiff format....
...and what pray-tell is a tiff format Last I heard from Spreadshirt the white background will not be printed on light colors but try to tell the customer that!lol

CP's progran shows white background as transparent on the product and that's what I'm used to.

Marie

Old May 8th, 2007 May 8, 2007 2:31:19 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,029 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMonkey
...and what pray-tell is a tiff format Last I heard from Spreadshirt the white background will not be printed on light colors but try to tell the customer that!lol

CP's progran shows white background as transparent on the product and that's what I'm used to.

Marie
I would use a PNG to send a transparent file to spreadshirt.
sng likes this.

Old July 7th, 2007 Jul 7, 2007 6:30:52 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Hi Jana,

Thanks for the reply. I havent done any vector designs yet - but I'll give it a try.

- footy

Old July 8th, 2007 Jul 8, 2007 2:22:49 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I don't have one, but I thought when you upload a png/jpg picture the background appears transparent on the tee? Or is this only for the white tees?

Old July 8th, 2007 Jul 8, 2007 3:53:15 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Fred

Hi,

For transparent backgrounds, I use Photoshop - the background erase tool - and go around the outside edge of the design. I usually save it as a .png file, upload it and it prints as a transparency.

In Paint Shp Pro 7, I use the select all - set transparency tool. The only problem with this tool is it takes out all of the colors that you designate as a transparency.

If it's a .gif file, then you can try gifworks.com and use it. Note however that the maximum size is 100kb. To small for our needs but at least it's good on small stuff.

Do not save your image as a .jpg and use it as a transparency as it doesn't work. If you save it as .gif or .png file, then you be all set. The best part about using a transparent .png file is when I resize it for lighters and buckles, I lose no clarity. Works perfect on charms and watches.

Hope this helps.

Fred
sng likes this.

Old November 24th, 2007 Nov 24, 2007 3:37:52 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Red face Re: Printing clear background

Hi there - New User Here.

Ok...

I'm clear on the transparency issues with .gif files and .png files at Spreadshirt. So, I re-created my designs into vector files. BUT...(There is always one of those, isn't there? ) When placing my vector designs on shirts, there was no option to keep the backgrounds clear.

So, what I am assuming is that I need to keep all of the backgrounds of my designs "white" regardless of what color shirt I put the design on and that the white backgrounds be cut during the printing process assuming the designs meet the 0.06 measurement standards? Is this correct? If not, I'm stumped here.

However, if I chose to match the background to the shirt to form a distinct line around, say a white design on a black shirt, and had the "R(black)" there like I had to have on the Digital designs, would the background still be removed? Would I even need the R(black) instruction?

If I wasn't so determined to figure that place out, I would really like to suggest that Spreadshirt become more user-friendly or at the very least develop a nice "organized" manual for their "premium" members.

Thanks for your time,

Dee

Old November 26th, 2007 Nov 26, 2007 10:34:48 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Temple

Hi Crazytala,

If you are going to change your digital images to vector images, then you would not use a background color. Vector images use our plot printing process, which is much different than our digital printing process. When you create your design as a vector, then you would not use the background color, just create the design as you want it to be on the product.

Once you upload the design to your account, then it would go to our Design Team to make sure it is meeting our vector requirements, then it would be released to your account. The only colored areas on the design would be the submitted colored areas. These elements of the design could then use any of our flex, flock, or specialty printing colors.

Here is an example of a vector image.
If you click to Buy a Tshirt with this design, then the design will load on a product and you will then see you can change these colors of the design to our flex, flock, or specialty colors. The design was submitted without a background and just these elements where submitted to be colors on the final product.

Does this make sense? If you have a vector image ready, then I would submit it to your account for approval and when released, then you can see what the design would appear like. Vectors are what you see is what you get, as there is no background to deal with, as with the digital images.

This is a discussion about Printing clear background that was posted in the SpreadShirt section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in