T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

Too much ink coming through the screen?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 7th, 2020 Jan 7, 2020 11:19:32 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Charlie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Too much ink coming through the screen?

Hello!!

My first post here, hope everyone is doin well!

I've been learning to screen print over the past few months, and slowly ive been learning more and improving.

However one problem im having a really hard time solving is: Whenever i print, there seems to be too much ink coming through the stencil and it creates a thicker, messier, and less detailed print? Like its bleeding through the stencil. Ive tried different amounts of pressure on the squeegee but seen no real success.

Please see the images to get a better idea of what i mean! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

[url]https://imgur.com/a/DxlwJre[/url]

Emulsion: Ulano 925 WR-P
Ink: WPS Premium Waterbased
Stencil: 64T

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2020 Jan 7, 2020 3:33:52 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Darrin

Default Re: Too much ink coming through the screen?

Hi Charlie,
Couple things i would try right out of the gate, coat your screens 1 and 1, too much emulsion buildup when your coating your screens will lead to a thicker stencil and heavier, thicker ink deposit when you go to print.
Try coating each side of the screen once only. Also not sure what mesh count your currently using in those photos but try going to a higher mesh like a 200 or 230, these meshes will restrict the amount of ink that can go through on a pass. I also rarely never go above 50 psi on my auto press to print. If your manually printing shirts try using a higher angle on the squeegee as your pulling or pushing the ink across the screen. If the angle of the squeegee is to low your won't be able to "clear" the screen. It's also not a bad idea to watch some youtube videos and see how other people are printing. Hopefully some of this info helps you.

Old January 8th, 2020 Jan 8, 2020 8:58:51 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Charlie

Default Re: Too much ink coming through the screen?

Hey thanks for the reply!

Im using a 64T (160 mesh i believe?) screen from wickedprintingstuff dot com, its where i bought my emulsion, screens, and inks from!

Ive always coated my screens 1:1 either side, and still to no success

As i understood a 160 mesh was pretty good for the image im trying to print, versatile and good for mostly block colour images, however if you think a higher mesh will help ill look into buying some different screens and playing around with them!

I watch a lot of catspit videos, really educational and supportive!

Thanks again!

This is a discussion about Too much ink coming through the screen? that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in