T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

Trying to figure out how professional prints are so thin

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By splathead
  • 5 Post By PatWibble
  • 1 Post By multiplesifl

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 8th, 2019 Sep 8, 2019 10:19:06 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Trying to figure out how professional prints are so thin

Ive been screen printing for about 9 months using plastisol ink only. Unfortunately, I’ve had some complaints about the thickness of my prints on some of the larger designs. I have this problem even when I only hit the underbase once.

I visited a few stores to take a look at some professionally printed shirts and every single one is definitely thinner than mine. For example, a large rectangular design, with the whole rectangle filled with ink (underbase and overprint) felt way thinner than all of my prints.

Could these thin prints just be waterbased inks? From the comments I’ve seen on here, I assumed waterbased inks have no hand. Or is there something I could be doing wrong? All I can say is I use Wilflex white ink and Union color inks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2019 Sep 8, 2019 7:57:53 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 2,233 Posts

Default Re: Trying to figure out how professional prints are so thin

They could be waterbased.

Or discharged, eliminating the need for a white underbase.

Or a curable reducer that 'thins' out the ink and gives it less of a hand.
seacookie likes this.

Old September 9th, 2019 Sep 9, 2019 1:28:03 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

A lot of 'new' printers start with a very low mesh count leading to laying down a lot of ink. Are you using 110t ( 43t/cm) mesh? You need to have the confidence to increase it to somewhere between 160 - 200t as your standard mesh count.

Thin your inks accordingly, but mix well first. Plastisol is 'thixotropic', meaning it becomes more fluid when stirred. Stick a wooden spoon into the chuck of a cordless drill and whizz the nuts out of your ink.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Sep 25, 2019 11:45:20 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
A lot of 'new' printers start with a very low mesh count leading to laying down a lot of ink. Are you using 110t ( 43t/cm) mesh? You need to have the confidence to increase it to somewhere between 160 - 200t as your standard mesh count.

Thin your inks accordingly, but mix well first. Plastisol is 'thixotropic', meaning it becomes more fluid when stirred. Stick a wooden spoon into the chuck of a cordless drill and whizz the nuts out of your ink.

never stick anything in your inks other than metal or plastic or coated cardboard clean up cards.Wood will leach plasticize rs from the ink.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Sep 25, 2019 12:18:32 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I went to pick up at my local store for running equipment for my self. I ordered online, but they are local so I pick stuff cause I am cheap and I save for shipping that way.

When I was waiting for my stuff i seen 2 nike hoodies with Celtics logo on it.

Hoodie was exactly like this one except inside of that logo, there were many small white dots to fill the space inside. They were quite a part from each other.

I spend 3 minutes for inspecting that hoodie. Design was quite thick and the weird part was, that inside of that logo,where lots of tiny dots were ''printed'', all that empty space around dots felt like it's something on that hoodie. It felt very unbreathable. I was thinking if maybe that's a vinyl on that hoodie... But that green inside of that logo was covered with something...

Old 2 Weeks Ago Sep 26, 2019 4:24:34 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Trisha
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

They probably used a clear ink for the underbase on that hoodie.

As for OP, if you want to reduce the hand on your prints but don't wish to move away from plastisol, try heat pressing the garments after printing. It helps flatten the thickness a bit.
seacookie likes this.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Sep 26, 2019 5:51:22 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

You can generally tell Plastisol from water base because Plastisol will fill in the grooves/valleys of the weave, whereas water base conforms to the grooves/valleys of the weave leaving them visible rather than a smooth surface.

This is a discussion about Trying to figure out how professional prints are so thin that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in