T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

QX-1 exposure times w/ ryonet exposure unit

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 29th, 2008 Sep 29, 2008 2:56:12 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Omar
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default QX-1 exposure times w/ ryonet exposure unit

I have a 240W table top exposure unit from ryonet like the one below that i use to expose my screens.
I am using QX-1 emulsion and my screens arent coming out as crisp as I want them to. The website say that it Exposes Dual Cure Diazo Photopolymer Emulsions in 5 minutes, but im sure thats not the case for QX-1. I've seen the post about the step test and im not understanding how that works either.

If anyone has a similar set up...what exposure times are you using?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2008 Sep 29, 2008 4:18:42 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ridgely

Default Re: QX-1 exposure times w/ ryonet exposure unit

qx-1 is a dual cure emulsion. It should take longer to burn than a pure photopolymer emulsion especially with a weak light source. Research step wedge test or just trial and error your exposure times. Every set-up requires a different optimal exposure time.

Old October 1st, 2008 Oct 1, 2008 10:30:21 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Ryonet Support

Exposure Time / Step-Wedge Test:

Like anything else in life screen printing is a pragmatic series of events, you must look at it in each stage and determine the problem. After looking at the entire series of events you’ll find that art, screen, printing and troubleshooting will fall effortlessly in place.
Concerning the problem of exposure and washout let’s break it down into events;

1. You created the art, output the film and had a screen coated.

2. You exposed the screen, attempted to wash out with no results.

Since you’re early in the pre-press stages the answers to your problem are obvious and easy to repair, don’t worry that you didn’t recognize them as even the most seasoned printers overlook minor details.

The troubleshooting begins at you’re art;

Was the positive opaque enough? (Could you see light through the film?)

If light is creeping through the black images of your film it’s NOT dark enough and will expose as the rest of the screen would, only slower.

How long has your screen been sitting and has it been exposed to any light before burning?

Screens that have been exposed OR subjected to excessive heat during drying will expose. I’ve had screens ruined and exposed by keeping my screen box temperature too high. Screens that have been sitting over a couple of weeks and having the door opened and closed will pre-expose as well.

Is your exposure time long enough?

Over time light sources weaken, especially HUV (Black light) units and to compensate you increase your exposure time but make sure your positive is OPAQUE!

If your unsure of an exposure time perform a “Step-Wedge” test, this involves dividing your screen into 4 sections and marking each with a specific exposure starting with the manufacturers then increasing in increments of 2 minutes per section.

Mark the screen and at the top of each section write 4 minutes, 6, 8 and 10. Produce a piece of art with type, shapes and even some halftones and place it in the 4 minute section, cover the remaining 3 sections with the black sheet; expose for 4 minutes.

After the initial exposure move your art and sheet to the next section, covering the 4 minute section with a light safe sheet as well, you only want the 6 minute section exposed to your light source. Expose this section for 6 minutes and follow this procedure until ALL 4 sections have been exposed at the times indicated.

Wash out the screen as you normally would, completely wetting both sides the let it sit for a few minutes allowing the emulsion to soften (your washout room should be yellow lit as well) then spray softly again on both sides until you see your image washing out.

IMPORTANT; Always do your final washout from the SHIRT side of the screen as this is the side exposed. To determine the best exposure look for; edge definition and degree of unexposed emulsion on the squeegee side while washing out. A properly exposed screen will have less slime on the inside as the exposure light has burned 75 to 90% of the emulsion. Be aware on finer detail you may want to cut back time to maintain the details.

After you have gone through all these parameters, found your time, washed, dried and blocked out your screen and ready to tape don’t forget to post-harden your screen for strength and longevity. This is nothing more than exposing the screen on the unit for 10 to 15 minutes or setting it in the sun for 5 minutes, why? During your initial exposure your only trying to burn the image on a screen and maintain detail, post-hardening will ensure a strong, long lasting screen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tj Ryonet Tech For This Useful Post:
famas35 (October 6th, 2011), Sean Vax (December 31st, 2009), wonubee (February 28th, 2010)

Old October 2nd, 2008 Oct 2, 2008 11:15:33 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Omar

Thanks for all the help...i finally just said "screw it" and did different times with different screens, and i found the perfect time...

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old October 5th, 2008 Oct 5, 2008 8:31:22 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greaves
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocuriel
Thanks for all the help...i finally just said "screw it" and did different times with different screens, and i found the perfect time...

Thanks everyone for your help.
When you get bored with guessing, please buy a transmission gray scale that simulates 10 or 21 exposure with one exposure such as the one Ryonet sells.
Exposure Calculator and Step Wedge Exposure Guide, with instructions

Exposure FAQ of Screen Making Products

Old February 13th, 2009 Feb 13, 2009 12:25:30 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Can you recommended a good exposure unit I need to purchase one.

Mayleen

Old February 14th, 2009 Feb 14, 2009 8:49:25 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYREY1

Mayleen
If you're buying, the best are metal halide systems with vacuum blankets from companies such as AmerGraph, Richardson, and NuArc (M&R).

The next best would be the multi-bulb systems that use unfiltered fluorescent blacklights with vacuum blankets. Vastex makes a couple, M&R might make one, Workhorse makes one. Most commercial press manufacturers make one.

After that, if you're handy with tools, you can make your own multi-bulb systems as mentioned above for about $200, using pond liner from Home Depot as your vacuum blanket material. I've built two this way and they worked great.

You can also use halogen work lights as a light source, but they have very little UV light and take forever to expose your emulsion.

If you're making your own, you can also use the old foam rubber pad over a piece of black felt on the inside of your screen frame and weight it down with a stack of books to get your film and emulsion fairly tight against the glass. It works, it's cheap, but if you want to do halftones or any really fine lines, it's the worst method in terms of holding image definition in your stencil.

I've never seen anyone complain about investing in a really good exposure unit, even with all the workarounds.

Old February 14th, 2009 Feb 14, 2009 10:51:37 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Frank
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYREY1

Mayleen
500w halogen......$10.
(don`t forget to remove the UV filter glass though)

The Following User Says Thank You to frankiko For This Useful Post:
famas35 (October 6th, 2011)
Old November 25th, 2009 Nov 25, 2009 10:51:50 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Stephen

I just switched to QX-1 and have this exact exposure unit. It's a lot faster than the other emulsion I was using. I did a step wedge test and the QX-1 exposes in 2 minutes for me. Your mileage may vary.

It took me a while to find the right exposure time because my first step wedge test started at 3 minutes, so I was over exposing the entire test. I did a second test at 30 second intervals and finally found that 2 minutes worked best for me.

I know the thread starter already figured out his exposure time a long time ago but thought anyone else searching the forum who has this setup would like a ballpark exposure time for use in doing their own testing.

Old February 26th, 2010 Feb 26, 2010 9:46:14 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi All!

Before I joined I read this post many times because I was having the same problem. I have to say that the step wedge test was totally worth it! I really thought that I could just "find" my correct exposure time by trial and error and it proved to be a total waste of time. Just wanted to say thanks... now that I am member. No more underexposure slime on my screens!
~j

Old November 28th, 2014 Nov 28, 2014 4:23:12 PM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Kidding me, Walmart online sells Ryonet Exposure Units?

This is a discussion about QX-1 exposure times w/ ryonet exposure unit that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in